PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB would you like to see the Patriots target in the draft?

Interesting question and a tough one considering how success is measured. Lately I'd guess it's mobile > "pocket". I try to think of them all as QB's but I get what you're saying and differences do stand out.

I've been trying to hammer this home but today's game is full of guys that can move in some capacity or another. Whether it's scrambling, mobility in the pocket or designed runs, R/O. Most guys today can move.

Interesting though I haven't seen any charts or stats. Just going off my noodle.

I was just wondering.

Imo, the perfect QB would be one that could read a defense, make a quick decision, scramble around around buying time if he had to and make an accurate pass. I don't think we'll ever see a QB that has 100% of all of those traits.

I was wondering if the scrambling trait produced more success early on as opposed to the pocket passing trait.

Been keep saying that what I'd like to see are athletic QBs after the success we had with Cam last year. Pure pocket passers are just holdings teams back given where the NFL is going on offense.

What do you think about the theory that if you can't read a defense in two seconds you can't win?

A healthy Jimmy may not be a thing.
There will absolutely be QBs drafted this year that are better QBs from this day forward then Jimmy.
You do realize that Jimmy wasn’t the reason the 49ers went to the SB right, but just a piece, not what separated them. Hell he threw like 4 passes in the nfccg.

As far as “very good” that’s pretty subjective.
Id put it this way. If you made all QBs free agents and let team have a qb draft Jimmy would not be in the top 20 and maybe not 25. I would consider somewhere around 8-10 to be the cut off of very good. Jimmy’s not close to that.
In his only full season JG had a 102 qb rating. In partial seasons when injured he is comfortably above 90. How many rookies qbs when drafted start on day one? very very few plus average between 90-100 qb rating? i'de say that is a very very small list.

I was just wondering.
It's an interesting question for sure.
Imo, the perfect QB would be one that could read a defense, make a quick decision, scramble around around buying time if he had to and make an accurate pass. I don't think we'll ever see a QB that has 100% of all of those traits.
Steve Young.
I was wondering if the scrambling trait produced more success early on as opposed to the pocket passing trait.

I was just wondering.

His name is Patrick Mahomes.

@KontradictioN @BaconGrundleCandy

Is there a success difference between first year mobile QBs and first year pocket passers?
Probably not enough data in the last, say, 5 years to make that judgment. Ultimately, you’ll want a QB who is going to look to throw from the pocket first. You want someone with good footwork, someone who will climb the pocket. Mahomes is like this. Burrow was like this but, unfortunately, Cincy didn’t see fit to put an OL around him. Those two have mobility to take off when there is nothing there. Wilson is another example but he ends up holding the ball way too long because he loves him some verticals that he’s nearly always scrambling around the backfield.

In his only full season JG had a 102 qb rating. In partial seasons when injured he is comfortably above 90. How many rookies qbs when drafted start on day one? very very few plus average between 90-100 qb rating? i'de say that is a very very small list.
I don’t put a lot of stock in QB rating. It’s not a good metric and is just an arbitrary formula for novices.
We aren’t comparing Jimmy’s best season to a rookies first, we are comparing what is best for the franchise.
Jimmy is 30 years old and maybe the most fragile QB in the NFL and at his best he doesn’t exactly jump off the page.

Last edited:
His name is Patrick Mahomes.

He's probably the closest thing to the perfect QB. But I'd honestly take Brady over anyone.

Why?

Arm Strength - Mahomes
Scramble ability - Mahomes
Accuracy - Tie?
Pocket awareness - Brady
Decision making - Brady Brady Brady
Clutch - Brady Brady Brady

If I were to pick the next current QB for the Pats it would be Mahomes or Watson minus the messages.

He's probably the closest thing to the perfect QB. But I'd honestly take Brady over anyone.

Why?

Arm Strength - Mahomes
Accuracy - Tie?
Pocket awareness - Brady

If I were to pick the next current QB for the Pats it would be Mahomes or Watson minus the messages.
Oh yeah; no doubt Brady is in a class by himself. I was just mentioning Mahomes as the QB who fit the description you listed in the OP. Brady aside, Mahomes does everything you want at the highest possible level & then some (obviously he’s not perfect).

We aren’t comparing Jimmy’s best season to a rookies first, we are comparing what is best for the franchise.
You were actually comparing Jimmy G's average performance with a rookie from day one. You keep moving the goalposts.

I don’t put a lot of stick in QB rating. It’s not a good metric and is just an arbitrary formula for novices.
Jimmy is 30 years old and maybe the most fragile QB in the NFL and at his best he doesn’t exactly jump off the page.

I wouldn't put a my stick in any QB.

Oh yeah; no doubt Brady is in a class by himself. I was just mentioning Mahomes as the QB who fit the description you listed in the OP. Brady aside, Mahomes does everything you want at the highest possible level & then some (obviously he’s not perfect).

He's definitely special.

You were actually comparing Jimmy G's average performance with a rookie from day one. You keep moving the goalposts.
No I wasn’t. I said rookie first round picks will be better from this day forward. Than a healthy Jimmy if such a thing exists. Perhaps that was a confusing way to put it?

Why?

Arm Strength - Mahomes
Accuracy - Tie?
Pocket awareness - Brady

I don’t think Wilson or Watson will be available in a trade. Identifying that next person is the challenge. Trey Lance has peaked my interest. He has the tools. He has the size, strength, arm, athleticism, and speed. He doesn’t have much experience though and played at division 1A. In 2019, he threw 28 touchdowns with no interceptions while running for over a thousand yards and 12 touchdowns. I’ve watched videos that showed him going through his progressions and looking off defenders. Getting a QB on a rookie contract would be huge and worth a gamble and investment.

You think you have to be ELITE to be better than Newton?
I overreacted to last night after a few drinks. Sorry about that.

I don’t think Belichick would acquire a mid level QB to play ahead of Cam. I think it would be an insult. If he could get an elite QB like Russell Wilson or Watson, he would, but I don’t think they’re available. I think the strategy is to draft a QB to sit behind Cam for a season.

Why?

Arm Strength - Mahomes
Accuracy - Tie?
Pocket awareness - Brady

I don’t know how you can give a tie for accuracy.
When Mahomes line fell apart this season and he didn’t have time to wait for his athletes to gain separation, it seemed to me that he threw balls to spots that left his rcvrs subject to hits hence all the drops in the playoffs

brady more often (and still while under pressure ) leads guys such that they can go out of bounds, have time to take a few steps or at least duck/slide.

Mahomes and all that scrambling ability opens another threat, but if he doesn’t slide when running or unload when the ‘spider sense’ goes off. Heiz subject to hits that WILL sooner or later take him out for games or a season

bradys ability to create space WITHIN the pocket is a much more valuable skill. But so rare that scrambling out off the pocket is ‘the poor man’sBrie’. Almost as good and more available . . just dangerous for life expectancy.

While I think Mahomes is a much better QB, Watson plays the way most in this thread prefer. He really waits and bides his time in the pocket, unlike so many other running QBs. I really wonder if he has the higher ceiling than Mahomes in terms of leading a good team to a few SB wins. Mahomes has already done it, and the things he does with his arm, Watson can't do. But I do wonder about the long term and how long Mahomes can sustain it.

Put a few more years on Mahomes' legs and take away Tyreek Hill, what does he look like as a pocket QB?

You need to trade up to 6 or 7 to be sure that you can get Jones/Lance, depending on how the chips fall. I don't think you can sit at 15 and expect a QB to be there. Panthers aren't trading with you as they might be looking to move up themselves to pick 3 or 4.

Also have to factor in all the other teams drafting 9-14 that might also want to jump up for a QB (Denver, San Fran).

Almost certainly draft QB:
1 Jags, 2 Jets, 8 Panthers

Fair chance draft QB:
4 Falcons, 7 Lions

Possible but unlikely draft QB:
3 Dolphins, 6 Eagles

Chance of trading up for QB:
9 Broncos, 12 49ers, 19 Washington

5 QB's, up to 10 teams in the mix - it's going to be competitive!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back