PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB would you like to see the Patriots target in the draft?

No QB in the first round. Draft an impact Front 7 defender!

If someone who has potential drops to the later rounds then I would possibly take a chance.

I don't think any quality QB's will be left on the board. Not sold on Mac Jones. He is a system QB...

I don't see why Belichick would favor a running quarterback when he has had so much success with a traditional pocket passer. Also, Belichick is a contrarian. With everyone in the NFL going gaga over running QBs, he may well go back to the future by picking Mac Jones who shares some similarities with Brady. He sat behind another quarterback till his senior year, he's an intense, hard working student of the game, and, lastly, he has an underwhelming, to say the least, physique.
I vote for Jones.

Last edited:
Lawrence - if urban passes on him. Urban should be fired. Generational qb!

Wilson - works best in a wide zone offense. (Lafleur will run that offense this year with the jets

fields - one read qb. Reminds me of Haskins part 2.

lance - boom or bust! He is hesitant to throw into tight windows. Probably leads to hundreds of sacks.

Jones - slow, slow and slow. Slow delivery, slow reads, slow ball speed!

trask - pop gun arm!

mond - totally inconsistent. Needs lots of work.

mills - not a lot of film. The tape he does have shows he has potential. Gamble.

Oddly enough, the Jets could impact if we take a qb at 15.

if the Jets take Wilson at 2, they could trade darnold to San Fran. Would San Fran then trade jimmy to us?

if the Jets stick with darnold, and pass on a qb at 2, is one of the big 5 still on the board at 15?

Jets might also impact the Draft by doing something stupid... such as passing on Wilson. They've made worst drafting mistakes. LOL. If that happens and you are BB, do you give up the farm to #3 to take Wilson?!

I’m starting to think Fields is going to slide. I haven’t been high on Fields. I’m a big buckeye fan and Fields worries me as a product of the system that makes QBs look better than they are, but Fields really was a lot better than the rest of them. He made more “NFL throws” than the rest of them and when you strip away the gimmies he still put up impressive numbers.
Im starting to warm up to idea of Fields with the way we are building the offense. I think the type of offense we are putting together would give him the best chance to succeed.

I’m starting to think Fields is going to slide. I haven’t been high on Fields. I’m a big buckeye fan and Fields worries me as a product of the system that makes QBs look better than they are, but Fields really was a lot better than the rest of them. He made more “NFL throws” than the rest of them and when you strip away the gimmies he still put up impressive numbers.
Im starting to warm up to idea of Fields with the way we are building the offense. I think the type of offense we are putting together would give him the best chance to succeed.

in the real world, are you a politician or a political question answerer?

given the fields post above, you may have missed your calling!
This ones a challenge for me. Im a huge buckeye fan. I want to see him do well. But I’ve seen the system make them look better than they are. So I am skeptical but Fields played really well.
We have to have to have to get the QB this draft. I see Fields falling, I’d love to see a Buckeye be the next patriot QB long term.
I see the offense being built that would fit him. I question whether I prejudged him based upon his predecessors.
So ultimately I’m probably just trying to talk myself out of thinking he will struggle in the NFL.
Guess I was just working out my inner struggle. Lol

Don't know why people would want Mills. He only has 11 starts. His anticipation is awful and he locks in on his first read on almost every throw. He's at least two years away from starting in the NFL imo. Too raw.
Disagree about his anticipation. I believe it's pretty good in general but he's not the most mobile guy. First read stuff is tricky bc it's college. Everyone is throwing to their first read or working half a field a good amount of time. That can be held against everyone but Mills has like no experience. You'd expect it out of him and he made a nice overall jump in a very conservative offense. He's a project but with actual upside given size, footwork, mechanics and toughness. Plus he looks made for certain plays (ability to work MOF, PA, bootleg) , you can see the package with him.

Lack of experience means he's not for everyone though. I get that.

I'm not even sure these are death nails imo. This is pretty much what I've seen and been saying. We'll see where he goes and how he does but 15 is nuts imo.
IMG_20210316_215859.png

I think Fields is QB2, off the board top 3-5. If he's available, I'm all for it.

Basically ..
1st ... Fields, Lance

2nd/3rd .. Jones/Mills

3rd-5th ..Trask/Mond/Newman/White

I'm not even sure these are death nails imo. This is pretty much what I've seen and been saying. We'll see where he goes and how he does but 15 is nuts imo.
View attachment 31450

I think Fields is QB2, off the board top 3-5. If he's available, I'm all for it.

Basically ..
1st ... Fields, Lance

2nd/3rd .. Jones/Mills

3rd-5th ..Trask/Mond/Newman/White
That is my impression of Jones. He has a below average arm. He really gets his whole body into his strong throws. It worked fine at Alabama where he had elite pass protection. He’s not going to have that in the NFL. How’s he going to do when the pressure is getting to him and he has to throw a lazer to the sidelines or an intermediate pass? Or playing in bad weather? I’d rather trade up and take a chance on Lance or Fields.

That is my impression of Jones. He has a below average arm. He really gets his whole body into his strong throws. It worked fine at Alabama where he had elite pass protection. He’s not going to have that in the NFL. How’s he going to do when the pressure is getting to him and he has to throw a lazer to the sidelines or an intermediate pass? Or playing in bad weather? I’d rather trade up and take a chance on Lance or Fields.
Yea I've always believed the biggest difference maker playing at Bama is Jeudy or Smith. It's the dominance and gap between they're OL & their opponents DL. Even in the SEC Bama was king kong.

With pressure I noted his footwork a few times but when its coming at him. In front of of his face, he hasn't dealt with it well. And yea the arm talent isn't special. It can improve but probably wont ever stand out.

In a normal year I wouldn't mind bc he's a 2nd round guy but the hype is insane.

Disagree about his anticipation. I believe it's pretty good in general but he's not the most mobile guy. First read stuff is tricky bc it's college. Everyone is throwing to their first read or working half a field a good amount of time. That can be held against everyone but Mills has like no experience. You'd expect it out of him and he made a nice overall jump in a very conservative offense. He's a project but with actual upside given size, footwork, mechanics and toughness. Plus he looks made for certain plays (ability to work MOF, PA, bootleg) , you can see the package with him.

Lack of experience means he's not for everyone though. I get that.
I'm not gonna pretend that i'm the QB evaluation guru here. I've watched his all-22 after he was mentioned a lot recently and read quite some analyses about his play. He certainly seemed to have improved quite a bit since last year from what i've read (didn't watch 2019 film), but when comparing him to other QBs that will be drafted in same region, there are better options imo. Especially because it seems we need a rookie QB who can start in year two (or even this year).

I'm not gonna pretend that i'm the QB evaluation guru here. I've watched his all-22 after he was mentioned a lot recently and read quite some analyses about his play. He certainly seemed to have improved quite a bit since last year from what i've read (didn't watch 2019 film), but when comparing him to other QBs that will be drafted in same region, there are better options imo. Especially because it seems we need a rookie QB who can start in year two (or even this year).
I respect that. I haven't seen or looked at too many grades or a lot analysis but I'll bet I'm higher on Mills than most. It happens, I don't do natural or real rankings so sometimes I get different stuff than others.

I think I'd rather take a shot with Mills though who I saw progress and has some tools. Whereas the other guys - Trask, Mond, Newman etc - in that neighborhood are more of a known product in terms of what they can do. I guess Mond made decent progress the last few years but still limited in too many areas imo. I wouldn't mind if we're getting rid of Stidham and take one of these guys in the 4th.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back