PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Positions Provide A Major 2016 Opportunity For Rookie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff, Ross.

If we're just exchanging ideas, I'd probably swap out your last position of DE and replace it with LB, but that's just me. I'm still a bit hesitant to fully drink the Kool Aid in regards to Jamie Collins definitely being extended. My concerns are mainly due to three factors: 1) The rising cost of players at the position and the fact that he'll likely be demanding a very large pact, and 2) The fact that Butler is also in the mix as well, and finally 3) The fact that Hightower is the rather clear cut priority and I believe he'll stay.

The fact that we can squat on Butler for another year may help the case to keep Collins, but it will be up to Belichick to determine how risky waiting may be in terms of driving his price up with another successful year. Of course all of this may be irrelevant since as we know, Belichick is unlikely to pay over what he deems as market value anyway. I hate to sound too pessimistic, but I'm truly crossing my fingers as it pertains to a Collins extension. There's a good possibility that he'll want to test the waters come spring, so I'm hoping they can lock him up with a fair deal before that (obviously). If he hits FA, he's probably long gone in my opinion.
I hear you there. LB is a possibility, too. As far as Collins goes, I do think he is potentially third on the totem pole of extensions between himself, Hightower and Butler, but I really have no idea how things will play out. Although Collins does have a certain flair and ego, he also strikes me as being somewhat humble at heart, so I'm not totally inclined to believe he will want to chase the biggest money if BB offers him market value. At the same time, we don't know if BB will definitely do so... I guess we will see.

Among the best players in BB's tenure who couldn't start solely due to a numbers logjam were OLBs, e.g. when he had the Vrabel/Phifer/McGinest trio, or when he invested in other guys like Colvin to keep it going.

I have little doubt that he plans to keep both Collins and Hightower, although of course it all depends on how negotiations actually go.

RB, especially Power Back

3rd-down DT, to account for the annual Dom Easily season-ending injury

#3 CB

#3/4 DE, depending on Chris Long's progress and Ninkovich's eventual ineffectiveness

And every…single…position…on this gawd-awful OL.

RB....obvious
LB.....there are 2 that are given.....bringing in an OLB like John Perry would be a no brainer given the uncertain nature of Hightower and Collins beyond 2016

I believe a major opportunity for a rookie on this team lies in:

RB rotation : A rookie who can run inbetween the tackles and catch the ball well and remain healthy has a chance to catapault them selves to lead back here.. We currently do not have a back capable of all these things (before I get a million "What about Deion Lewis?!" Responses notice I mentioned HEALTH).

Offensive Line: Right now there's a ton of confusion along the line (at least for us, the message board GMs) Cooper is intriguing (upside is incredible) but right now it's hard to rate him higher than anyone we have and on that note it's hard to rate anyone we have high after last season. A rookie who can come to camp with his hard hat and serve some pancakes and buy into Scar/Patriot Philosophy can go a long way.

WR: Health again a huge issue here, a rookie could certainly come in and stay on the field and build a rapport with Brady wrestling away targets from guys who can't stay on the field.

RB....obvious
LB.....there are 2 that are given.....bringing in an OLB like John Perry would be a no brainer given the uncertain nature of Hightower and Collins beyond 2016

I don't see a rookie linebacker being a major contributor.

We usually have 2 linebackers on the field, sometimes three. We have Collins, Hightower and McClellan. In addition, we have Freeny, Bostic and Johnson all coming back to compete for the very few remaining reps.

I'm not opposed to draft a LB if value is there. Obviously, there is no guarantee that both Collins and Hightower will be back, or that they will stay healthy.

I don't see a rookie linebacker being a major contributor.

We usually have 2 linebackers on the field, sometimes three. We have Collins, Hightower and McClellan. In addition, we have Freeny, Bostic and Johnson all coming back to compete for the very few remaining reps.

I'm not opposed to draft a LB if value is there. Obviously, there is no guarantee that both Collins and Hightower will be back, or that they will stay healthy.

Freeny was a liability out there.....I don't think he makes it to week 1

Mclellan is an unknown.....for all we know, he could be another Monty Biesel.....I am actually more up on Bostic

it was obvious when either Collins or Hightower was out that the rest of the group has issues

Freeny was a liability out there.....I don't think he makes it to week 1

Mclellan is an unknown.....for all we know, he could be another Monty Biesel.....I am actually more up on Bostic

it was obvious when either Collins or Hightower was out that the rest of the group has issues

You can presume that the team threw away $3.5M of guaranteed money for McClellan and that a 3rd round LB will get lots of reps ahead of him. I take the view that McClellan will get significant reps.

If Freeny doesn't make it to Week 1, it will be because the team is comfortable with McClellan and one other, perhaps Bostic (as you say).

You can presume that the team threw away $3.5M of guaranteed money for McClellan and that a 3rd round LB will get lots of reps ahead of him. I take the view that McClellan will get significant reps.

If Freeny doesn't make it to Week 1, it will be because the team is comfortable with McClellan and one other, perhaps Bostic (as you say).

2.3M (1.2M in workout and roster bonuses in years 2 and 3)

are you saying that when BB says 'puts the team in the best position to win every week' it includes playing time according to bonus paid?

2.3M (1.2M in workout and roster bonuses in years 2 and 3)

are you saying that when BB says 'puts the team in the best position to win every week' it includes playing time according to bonus paid?

You presume that Belichick wasted $3.5M of guaranteed money. You follow this up by questioning whether someone MIGHT get reps over McClellan. Of course, they might. That doesn't create a need at LB or a likelihood that a rookie will get a lot playing time. And just BTW, I am one that does want us to draft Matakavich.

After Running Back, it would be great to see a rookie Tackle take some snaps (From Vollmer or Solder) as needed and ensure that Cannon never sees the field again as a Patriot. Vollmer doesn't have too many years left either unfortunately.

OT is a priority. Maybe someone raw that takes development but we could really use a serviceable backup given Cannon's failure to contribute.

DT, RB, CB, perhaps OT or OG, perhaps DE.

5. DE - Sheard and Nink are starting but Nink is getting a bit older, Long is new and coming off some down years, and Flowers/Johnson/Grissom have yet to produce at this level; a rookie could become the fourth or possibly even third guy, perhaps
ross, you should reword that part about ".flowers/johnson/grissom...' to"have yet been given a chance to produce...". Fact is, all 3 looked strong in preseason. but none were gonna play last year with chandler jones, nink and sheard ahead of them. unless one of them got hurt, which obviously didnt happen. Otherwise, i agree with the rest of your post. and i agree that a rookie de might have a shot ONLY because the draft is supposedly deep in de"s. but if i was betting, i think bb wants to let last years rookie trio of des fight for that #3-#4 spot. i think dt is more likely, given easleys injury history. but rb looks like the spot thats really wide open. a rookie power running back has a shot to be the leading rusher. lewis will catch more passes than have rushing attempts, so theres an opportunity for someone.

LB, CB, WR, RB, DE, G, DT. Those are the big ones where a rookie could have a huge contribution as a rookie, potentially, without having to be crazy good.

It's possible for a rookie to have a big impact at pretty much any other position, given the right mix of production and injury, but those are the most likely cases I think.

Good stuff, Ross.

If we're just exchanging ideas, I'd probably swap out your last position of DE and replace it with LB, but that's just me. I'm still a bit hesitant to fully drink the Kool Aid in regards to Jamie Collins definitely being extended. My concerns are mainly due to three factors: 1) The rising cost of players at the position and the fact that he'll likely be demanding a very large pact, and 2) The fact that Butler is also in the mix as well, and finally 3) The fact that Hightower is the rather clear cut priority and I believe he'll stay.

The fact that we can squat on Butler for another year may help the case to keep Collins, but it will be up to Belichick to determine how risky waiting may be in terms of driving his price up with another successful year. Of course all of this may be irrelevant since as we know, Belichick is unlikely to pay over what he deems as market value anyway. I hate to sound too pessimistic, but I'm truly crossing my fingers as it pertains to a Collins extension. There's a good possibility that he'll want to test the waters come spring, so I'm hoping they can lock him up with a fair deal before that (obviously). If he hits FA, he's probably long gone in my opinion.

I think LB and DE are both needs, FWIW. In fact, I think LB is very high up on the list of needs; it was #1 on my list, which was in no particular order. If I had to order needs by position, I would probably put LB in the top 4 though. From my perspective, we currently have 2 good LBs. We need more, I think, because LBs frequently get hurt and ours are no exception. Plus having a rotation has never hurt anyone.

I think LB and DE are both needs, FWIW. In fact, I think LB is very high up on the list of needs; it was #1 on my list, which was in no particular order. If I had to order needs by position, I would probably put LB in the top 4 though. From my perspective, we currently have 2 good LBs. We need more, I think, because LBs frequently get hurt and ours are no exception. Plus having a rotation has never hurt anyone.

Couldn't agree more, even after the signing of McClellin. In reality, he's basically guaranteed a spot for this year in some capacity, as it would cost 1.2m to cut him, but next year sees a savings of 1.6m dollars should they decide to move on from him. I'm not going to feel any more comfortable about who we have after Collins/HT just because they signed him.

Actually, I'd love to see a guy like LB Josh Perry considered for the position come a month from now.

ross, you should reword that part about ".flowers/johnson/grissom...' to"have yet been given a chance to produce...". Fact is, all 3 looked strong in preseason. but none were gonna play last year with chandler jones, nink and sheard ahead of them. unless one of them got hurt, which obviously didnt happen. Otherwise, i agree with the rest of your post. and i agree that a rookie de might have a shot ONLY because the draft is supposedly deep in de"s. but if i was betting, i think bb wants to let last years rookie trio of des fight for that #3-#4 spot.

While I think the right fit could certainly be there, especially with our plethora of draft choices (11), I just don't see it as much of a need at the present time, particularly until we get a better look at some of the youngsters that you've mentioned. After all, both Grissom/Flowers were top 100 picks (101) last year.

Having Ninkovich, Sheard, and Long in front of them is a fine place to start, so unless Belichick adds some developmental talent later in the draft or just falls in love with the value on someone earlier, I wouldn't rank it all that high myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes