PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Patriot from the past would you add to the roster right now?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which Patriot from the past would you add to the roster right now?

• 2007 Randy Moss

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • 2004 Corey Dillon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2017 Rob Gronkowski

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • 1984 Andre Tippet

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 1980 John Hannah

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • 2003 Ted Washington

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • 2003 Rodney Harrison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1998 Ty Law

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • 2016 Julian Edleman

Votes: 11 14.1%

• Total voters

InRodWeRust

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
It's the bye week so I though I would have some fun. So which Patriot from the past do you think would help the Pats the most for the rest of the season and post season? I'd love to hear your reasoning too if you could elaborate.

2007 Randy Moss (Killer deep threat but can Mac deliver?)
2004 Corey Dillon (Makes our good run game to a great run game which opens up the pass game for Mac)
2017 Rob Gronkowski (A little prone to injury but makes a great target for Mac and great at blocking)
1984 Andre Tippet (Along with Judon they would wreak havok)
1980 John Hannah (Helps create a brick wall for the o-line)
2003 Ted Washington (Helps create a brick wall for the d-line)
2003 Rodney Harrison (Great leader but his rough play style may not fly today)
1998 Ty Law (Along with J.C. Jackson would just down passing plays)
2016 Julian Edleman (Very reliable target, great leader, nice punt returner)

I'd go with Wilfork but he's not on the list. Far from my fav player but I think he would help a lot against the run...Washington.

EDIT: ok in no specific order

- Washington
- Law
- Edelman

John Hannah not because of an overarching need on this particular team (for need I'd go with Law) but 'cause John F Hannah.
Greatest offensive lineman I've ever seen, period. People think the Pats are good pulling the guards now?
Damn, he was incredible

John Hannah not because of an overarching need on this particular team (for need I'd go with Law) but 'cause John F Hannah.
Greatest offensive lineman I've ever seen, period. People think the Pats are good pulling the guards now?
Damn, he was incredible
Biggest need would actually be a toilet clogger like Washington.

Some may be better fits or plug a need better but none is a flat out game breaker like '07 Moss.

If I were choosing with my heart though I'd take the squirrel and there'd be no second place.

07 Moss would be too good not to take.

Mike Haynes over Law might be my 2nd choice.

Tippett 3rd choice

07 Moss would be too good not to take.

Mike Haynes over Law might be my 2nd choice.

Tippett 3rd choice
Exactly. Having Moss there just kinda makes everything else moot.

Ted Washington.

This is an interesting question purely from the do you vote for THIS teams need (Washington IMO and got my vote) or biggest gamebreaker in Moss or Gronk? I like algohlor and Henry so I do think they are less of a need then other positions but you are talking about 2 of the top 20 players of all time. I think I would vote in order washington, moss, gronk but would be happy with just about anyone on the list. I personally like Gronk better then Moss but feel like the upgrade from algohlor is bigger and based on the kind of throws Mac likes is a better fit. Put Brady on this team I'm taking Gronk.

I just noticed 1998 Ty Law.

He was better in 2003. Way better.

Nice list. You've got three guys who are in the Hall of Fame, two more who are certain to make it, and one who may be inducted in the near future. Where is Nick Buoniconti?

1)Jones has been compared to Pennington and Pennington tossed 26 TD's to Moss in 97.

2)Gronk - 6OL + Jakob + Gronk = destruction

3)Tipp and Judon would be too good to pass up. With Barmore, Guy & God in the middle. Tipp almost had 20 sacks in 84. We're talking about almost 40 between them both. That's ridiculous.

4)Ty

5)Jules

Washington was very close but our offense would be silly adding one of those three. Gronk would only help the running game and be Mac's best friend. Same for Jules such an underrated blocker.

Tipp & Judon off the edge is something else to. Judon is having a career year. Again almost 40 sacks between them both!

I’ll be the contrarian. Not sure how Moss works w a rookie. Having 2007 Brady helped in more ways than the obvious skill, IMO.

So I’ll go 2016 JE. That guy would be in the right spot and he’d be open. This QB’s strengths include precision and knowledge of the offense. I think Edelman moves the sticks time after time after time. Then, the D tries to double him and BOOM. Bourne or Henry or Rham is heading to the endzone…

JE was also an excellent teammate. I think he and Jones would’ve meshed.

Big Ted - based solely on need. After him, either Andre or Hog.

2011 Gronk

Elite Blocker and the greatest red zone threat of all time

Moss for sure, at least with this team. They need a deep threat. As far as Mac not being able to deliver the ball to him? Please watch his college tape and his bombs to Waddle. These were precise throws; Waddle did not even have to break stride.

Corey Dillon was my all time favorite blocker, yes blocker. When he was held in for pass protection, watch out; he did not just block the blitzer, he destroyed him. He just killed guys; it was his chance for revenge. Mosi was also really wicked....but I digress--the Patriots are one player away from a Super Bowl win and that is a deep threat.

Washington was awesome; when he was in the offsense had dilemma; the could not run or pass against the Patriots. Ted Johnson said that Washington's butt was so big you could project a movie on it.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back