PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Of Our OT's can play LT?

Calvin Mister Anderson is the ONLY player currently in the building qualified to take ANY snaps at LT next season.

Some of you people need to come to grips with the Stone Cold Truth that Trent Brown is no longer an option at LT for a team that considers itself a PO contender. That was a one-time thing, over FOUR ****ing years ago.

Calvin Mister Anderson is the ONLY player currently in the building qualified to take ANY snaps at LT next season.

Some of you people need to come to grips with the Stone Cold Truth that Trent Brown is no longer an option at LT for a team that considers itself a PO contender. That was a one-time thing, over FOUR ****ing years ago.
:)
Reiff has joined your very special list with Bryant and Ferentz.

:)
Reiff has joined your very special list with Bryant and Ferentz.

At least Reiff has an excuse: he's old & broken-down. Thanksdad & the Spaceman just plain old Suck.

Last edited:
old and broken down is sometimes OK for the bottom few of the roster, the emergency backups.
Like Never "OK" Hoyer and his 17 game losing streak?

When the pilot and copilot lose consciousness in the ****pit, bring Hoyer in from First Class and he will find the nearest mountain to crash into, guaranteed.

"But gee, he's like having an extra coach guide the offense. So what if he goes Full Tard (with shrinkage) in clock management situations."

On LinkedIn, Hoyer's resume includes:
"Holding clipboard" and "Cashing oversized checks"
His goals:
"Win at least 1 game this decade"
------------------------------------------
Note: Hoyer is under contract in 2023 with a dead cap hit of $1.64 mill Kraft bucks.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

I believe Trent Brown has the ability to be a very good LT. I think last year was a product of lack of motivation rooted in piss poor coaching. I believe this is a contract year for him so don’t be surprised if his play improves dramatically next season.

I don’t think there is an immediate plug and play LT in the draft (maybe Paris Johnson or Skoronski) I believe Anton Harris would need a red shirt year but huge upside. I could see a few guys who could at RT. I could see Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones starting from Day 1.

I’d love to take a flyer on Cody Mauch if he were to slip into Rd 3, but there is risk he projects more as a guard.

We had an extensive discussion when brown re-signed.

Some of us thought that Brown signed with us for less because he would play RT.

If you reall things differently, fine. Maybe you think that Brown came back to the patriots for less than others offered because he loved playing for the patriots so much. In any case, that matters little now.
Wait, so you are telling me that Brown doesn’t want to play LT because you and someone else made up an idea that he doesn’t want to play LT? With absolutely nothing to back it up. He came to the team that made him a LT because he wants to play RT?

Reiff and Anderson are not starters and Brown looked uninterested last year. I think we are forced into starting Brown but possibly at RT and then draft a LT very early. I would be happy with that. My concerns is the amount of Tackles on the roster might suggest that they think they have their starters already.

The Patriots have not started a rookie at Left Tackle since Matt Light in 2001. They’ve drafted two tackles in the 1st since then, and neither has been the starting LT as a rookie. Solder was the right tackle and Wynn didn’t play at all after being drafted. It’s possible that a rookie starts, but that isn’t how they’ve operated in the past.

Nick Kaczur did start at LT as a rookie, but I believe that was injury related and wasn’t the plan.
Yeah, but Light and Solder were the starters from 2001 to 2021...so, since Solder didn't start right away, who else had the chance?

Wynn got hurt in pre-season, tore his Achilles.

Trent Brown should start at LT, he's done it successfully before and he can do it again. The entire offense played poorly last year, they were coached by Bozo the clown, it wasn't just Brown.

Anderson is athletic, strong and versatile, if things went south he could start for you, but he could also be an effective guard.

McDermott is really good backup who can give you spot starts on either side at tackle if need be. Reiff should start at RT if healthy but he's old.

They should draft an OT or maybe even two this draft, they have 11 picks and Brown is in a free agent year.

I don't think our LT solution is on the team yet. It feels like the plan is to keep dredging through the veteran scrap heap to come up with enough adequate bodies to patch in while a 2nd round or later LT rookie comes up to speed. I don't think 14 will be spent on LT.

If Brown is motivated, he can easily play LT. He clearly gave up at the end of last year.

I'm not even sure if Reiff makes it through training camp, they gotta draft an OT early in the draft.
Reiff is guaranteed $4.15M. He will be on the 53 man squad to start the year.

If Brown is motivated by his new coaches, Belichick may be much happier with his OT's than we are,

LT: Brown, Reiff
RT: Anderson, McDermott (or Cajuste)
================
Isn't this a serious improvement over 2022, even before we draft an OT.

Yeah, but Light and Solder were the starters from 2001 to 2021...so, since Solder didn't start right away, who else had the chance?

Wynn got hurt in pre-season, tore his Achilles.

Solder was drafted while Light was still firmly entrenched at LT. He was then given a year to learn the NFL at RT before bouncing over to LT. He left after 2017. Wynn was brought in 2018, but Brown had already been given the LT slot before Wynn was hurt. Wynn in the first preseason game was competing to win time at RT. Not since Matt Light in 2001, have the Patriots go into the year planning on using a rookie at Left Tackle (and i cannot recall if Matt Light was even the plan prior to the start of the 2001 season, though I’m sure someone here knows if Belichick drafted Amrstrong’s successor or whether he won it from a vet in a competition).

My point is that over the last 20 years Belichick has not intended to go into a season counting on a rookie to be his starting LT. He always has had some vet ready for that spot, regardless of draft position. Guards, right tackle, center, all have had been given to rookies preseason, never left tackle.

Therefore history indicates that while a rookie could win the job, the Patriots will not count on that and believe that someone else on the roster can handle that spot if the rookie isn’t ready.

old and broken down is sometimes OK for the bottom few of the roster, the emergency backups.

Except his contract sounds like it isn't meant for somebody expected to be just a bottom-of-the-roster/emergency backup player...

I believe Trent Brown has the ability to be a very good LT. I think last year was a product of lack of motivation rooted in piss poor coaching. I believe this is a contract year for him so don’t be surprised if his play improves dramatically next season.
That's what I'm afraid of: that he's indeed gonna be our starting Week 1 LT.

I don’t think there is an immediate plug and play LT in the draft (maybe Paris Johnson or Skoronski) I believe Anton Harris would need a red shirt year but huge upside.
Broderick Jones from Georgia could be a plug & play starter, but it looks like he's gonna be gone by 14 too.

I could see a few guys who could at RT. I could see Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones starting from Day 1.
They probably will, but we need a LEFT Tackle.

I’d love to take a flyer on Cody Mauch if he were to slip into Rd 3, but there is risk he projects more as a guard.

Yep, that's why I want nothing to do with him at the draft cost it would take to acquire him.

If Brown is motivated by his new coaches, Belichick may be much happier with his OT's than we are,

LT: Brown, Reiff
RT: Anderson, McDermott (or Cajuste)
================
Isn't this a serious improvement over 2022, even before we draft an OT.

No.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back