PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Of Our OT's can play LT?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure that this has been discussed in other threads for individual players. I think that this deserves its own thread.
====================================
BROWN?
Everyone seems to have penciled him in at LT. I don't see it. He played it poorly last year, and he doesn't want to play LT. I think that he will be traded.

ANDERSON
Some have said that he is a reasonable swing OT. To me, the means that he can play LT when called upon.

REIFF
??? I think that he is making the 53. Is he a LT?

MCDERMOTT and CAJUSTE
I see them as backup RT's looking to fill the 4th OT roster spot.
Some see McDermott as a swing OT.

STEUBER
???
a LT with unknown talent

=============
ONE PLAN
Draft a top LT. Make a decision on Brown just before the final deadline.

Right now I’m guessing Brown but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Anderson or Reiff, with a very strong hope it’s pick #14 or #46. At the very least one of this year’s Day 1 or 2 picks should be a guy that is LT1 in September 2024

The Patriots have not started a rookie at Left Tackle since Matt Light in 2001. They’ve drafted two tackles in the 1st since then, and neither has been the starting LT as a rookie. Solder was the right tackle and Wynn didn’t play at all after being drafted. It’s possible that a rookie starts, but that isn’t how they’ve operated in the past.

Nick Kaczur did start at LT as a rookie, but I believe that was injury related and wasn’t the plan.

Unless something unforeseen happens Brown is playing LT.

Brown was average last year. Saying he was abysmal is saying he played at the same level of Wynn and that's not accurate.

The Patriots have not started a rookie at Left Tackle since Matt Light in 2001. They’ve drafted two tackles in the 1st since then, and neither has been the starting LT as a rookie. Solder was the right tackle and Wynn didn’t play at all after being drafted. It’s possible that a rookie starts, but that isn’t how they’ve operated in the past.
I suppose that we can start Brown, no matter how disinterested he is, and how poorly he plays there.

Of course, the HOPE is that Klemm will coach up Brown. Brown has always needed a kick in the butt in the past.

Unless something unforeseen happens Brown is playing LT.

Brown was average last year. Saying he was abysmal is saying he played at the same level of Wynn and that's not accurate.
fair enough

Brown wasn't abysmal at LT last year.

One thing is for sure on this: by the time the 2024 season is completed we will know whether Adrian Klemm is the right guy for this job based on what we see at LT more than any other position

I'm sure that this has been discussed in other threads for individual players. I think that this deserves its own thread.
BROWN?
Everyone seems to have penciled him in at LT. I don't see it. He played it poorly last year, and he doesn't want to play LT. I think that he will be traded.
why do you say Brown doesn’t want to play LT? He had his best year ever playing LT for us his first time with the team, and played well enough to leave for a good payday. Maybe his displeasure last year was in playing in that hot cluster mess of an offense. Remember how they started out completely revamping the blocking scheme. Maybe that was why he was disinterested.

One thing is for sure on this: by the time the 2024 season is completed we will know whether Adrian Klemm is the right guy for this job based on what we see at LT more than any other position
Well it depends. Based on injuries and personnel decisions, the Patriots could end up starting a random guy off the street at LT. If that guy struggles it’s not Klemm’s fault.

Reiss asked Belichick about this theory yesterday and got a “we’ll see.” The logic seems reasonable, at the very least.

BROWN?

ANDERSON
Some have said that he is a reasonable swing OT. To me, the means that he can play LT when called upon.

REIFF
??? I think that he is making the 53. Is he a LT?

MCDERMOTT and CAJUSTE
I see them as backup RT's looking to fill the 4th OT roster spot.
Some see McDermott as a swing OT.

STEUBER
???
a LT with unknown talent

=============
ONE PLAN
Draft a top LT. Make a decision on Brown just before the final deadline.
When did Trent brown tell you he didn’t want to play LT? Did he share his feelings on The Last of Us?

When did Trent brown tell you he didn’t want to play LT? Did he share his feelings on The Last of Us?
You know better. There were many posts about Brown taking less money to return as a RT.

But it doesn't many much now. Reiff, Anderson and a rookie seem to be our future.

Reiss asked Belichick about this theory yesterday and got a “we’ll see.” The logic seems reasonable, at the very least.

thank you for the reminder.

If Belichick thinks enough of Reiff and Anderson, the draftee needn't be in the first. A first round game ready CB would be awesome.

You know better. There were many posts about Brown taking less money to return as a RT.

But it doesn't many much now. Reiff, Anderson and a rookie seem to be our future.
What are you talking about? Posts? From who? When did he take less money to be a RT?

IMO they will draft a tackle high, presumably one who can be a LT. That rookie will start the year on the bench. Brown, Reiff and Anderson will compete for the starting LT and RT spots and any of them can win either one. McDermott is the primary backup RT. If Brown is not clearly better than Reiff at LT and Anderson at RT, or Anderson at LT and Reiff at RT, then he (Brown) will be moved to save a big chunk of cap space. If Brown wins a starting job then you have one of Reiff or Anderson at the opposite tackle spot, the other of those two (Reiff/Anderson) who’s not starting as a swing tackle, plus dedicated backups for both sides with the rookie being a pure LT and McDermott being a pure RT.

IMO they will draft a tackle high, presumably one who can be a LT. That rookie will start the year on the bench. Brown, Reiff and Anderson will compete for the starting LT and RT spots and any of them can win either one. McDermott is the primary backup RT. If Brown is not clearly better than Reiff at LT and Anderson at RT, or Anderson at LT and Reiff at RT, then he (Brown) will be moved to save a big chunk of cap space. If Brown wins a starting job then you have one of Reiff or Anderson at the opposite tackle spot, the other of those two (Reiff/Anderson) who’s not starting as a swing tackle, plus dedicated backups for both sides with the rookie being a pure LT and McDermott being a pure RT.
I disagree that a rookie LT sits the bench...they played that overmatched, light in the seat rookie guard last season. If they pick a LT at 15, he's being drafted to start. Or else what was that ridiculous Cole Strange pick about last year?

I disagree that a rookie LT sits the bench...they played that overmatched, light in the seat rookie guard last season. If they pick a LT at 15, he's being drafted to start. Or else what was that ridiculous Cole Strange pick about last year?
I think they felt like Strange would be OK between two experienced guys in Brown and Andrews but it didn’t exactly go according to plan (plus Andrews and Brown both missed time). I think that might give them reason to be cautious with the development of a rookie LT and let him develop a little. Even if he seems ready to start, a half season of further observation and development on the bench would probably do him good.

What are you talking about? Posts? From who? When did he take less money to be a RT?
We had an extensive discussion when brown re-signed.

Some of us thought that Brown signed with us for less because he would play RT.

If you reall things differently, fine. Maybe you think that Brown came back to the patriots for less than others offered because he loved playing for the patriots so much. In any case, that matters little now.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back