PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Will We Sign Or Trade For Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Possibilities include a vet OT, a vet TE (or two), a DT, a DE, and a LB/ST.

OL
I still think a veteran OT is likely. A rookie swing tackle with Croston as the 4th doesn't seem right.

TE
Watson can't sign soon enough, presumably in the next 2 weeks. The question is whether also bring in another. We've been spoiled. Watson, ASJ, and Lecosse may be fine for 2019 with Belichick. Obviously, Belichick really disliked this supposed great TE class. We'll be looking again every year, but Belichick seem OK for 2019.

WR
We could always add a JAG or 2 (in addition to all the UDFA's), but we're ready to go with Edelman, Harry, and Dorsett. We also have DT and/or Gordon. Plus we have Berrios, Ellington and Harris competing for another spot, which may not be there.

DL
I still expect us to sign a free agent, or even two. The DL we have could be as good as last year, but players get injured and there is room for competition and upgrade.
DE: Bennett, Winovich, Wise, Simon, Davis/Rivers, (Harris, Kamalu)
DT: Guy, Pennel, Butler, Coward/Parry

LB
a special teamer is possible

DB
I don't see anyone making the team

I wouldn't be so quick to discount TE. Something could possibly be worked out to bring Kyle Rudolph in

Can’t disagree with anything here.

I’d like to see them add another veteran TE or surprise trade.

Or they just offset this by having 3 guys possibly over 6’2 at WR. Very excited to see this possibility.

I’m looking forward to seeing Rivers possibly getting more playing time as this is a make or break year for him.

Last edited:
Hard no on Watson.

why so dismissive, Holmes?

I think they’ll sign another DT whether it be Allen Bailey or bringing back Danny Shelton. Cowart isn’t really a run stuffing DT, he’s probably more of a 5-tech.

Also, spell-check will be a real pain in the butt for Coward(t).

TE and DT. DT probably FA signing Shelton/Bailey and TE trade.

I think we discount the possibility of “moving away from TE dominant”.

Now that many teams are two-TE with more and more TEs dominating the passing game, maybe BB has decided to move on. Maybe he starts using Develin even more. Maybe an extra OL and just run Sony & Harris lots. Harry is a willing blocker. As is #11.

I think fans are obsessing with what we’ve seen - like when we worried about filling all the traditional 3-4 spots on D when in fact BB had already starting moving towards extra DBs over 50% of the time.

Possibilities include a vet OT, a vet TE (or two), a DT, a DE, and a LB/ST.

OL
I still think a veteran OT is likely. A rookie swing tackle with Croston as the 4th doesn't seem right.

TE
Watson can't sign soon enough, presumably in the next 2 weeks. The question is whether also bring in another. We've been spoiled. Watson, ASJ, and Lecosse may be fine for 2019 with Belichick. Obviously, Belichick really disliked this supposed great TE class. We'll be looking again every year, but Belichick seem OK for 2019.

WR
We could always add a JAG or 2 (in addition to all the UDFA's), but we're ready to go with Edelman, Harry, and Dorsett. We also have DT and/or Gordon. Plus we have Berrios, Ellington and Harris competing for another spot, which may not be there.

DL
I still expect us to sign a free agent, or even two. The DL we have could be as good as last year, but players get injured and there is room for competition and upgrade.
DE: Bennett, Winovich, Wise, Simon, Davis/Rivers, (Harris, Kamalu)
DT: Guy, Pennel, Butler, Coward/Parry

LB
a special teamer is possible

DB
I don't see anyone making the team

Good post. A great way to start the discussion for the remainder of the offseason. This draft really filled out their roster nicely.

Still a lot of inured, old, washed up, has been, never been, JAG, roster fodder available.
Free Agency Update: 2019 NFL Free Agent Tracker - Fantasy Columns

TE - Maybe trade for Rudolph or look at Gresham, Gates, Watson
DE - Ray, Perry, Ansah
DL - Suh, Bailey, Luiget

Pick your gem...

And the post draft cuts have yet to begin. While I’m still not thrilled with their TE and WR units there will be plenty of opportunity to strengthen them before the season begins.

Now that many teams are two-TE with more and more TEs dominating the passing game, maybe BB has decided to move on. Maybe he starts using Develin even more. Maybe an extra OL and just run Sony & Harris lots. Harry is a willing blocker. As is #11.

I think fans are obsessing with what we’ve seen - like when we worried about filling all the traditional 3-4 spots on D when in fact BB had already starting moving towards extra DBs over 50% of the time.

I agree. They can’t replicate Gronk and they know it, so Belichick will create other strengths to utilize instead of a dominant TE option,

Even though getting Lombardi #6 really satisfied my football appetite I’m actually getting really excited about this coming season.

Good post. A great way to start the discussion for the remainder of the offseason. This draft really filled out their roster nicely.

And a corollary would be: what position might be upgraded significantly by trading for a very good vet, and in turn where is the roster strong enough that a good player could be sacrificed in that trade? Assuming more than draft picks are used.

The TE will be Gronk at some point next year. ASJ will be a place holder until that happens.

Whats the plan for lt right now, wynn? With karras and now Froholdt there is already plenty depth on the iol, not sure where else wynn would go...

Hope is not a plan.

Hope on our part, but the Pats know something we as fans don’t. No TE drafted, no press conference announcing Gronk’s retirement = good chance he is returning.

I think moving away from the TE dominant is obviously what BB is doing.

Look where he has spent his money and draft capital on offense. Its not TE. Its RB.

Even before the draft we had: White, Michel, and Burkhead. That is a pretty good group. Especially if Michel can develop more as a pass catcher. At that point you would have 3 RBs capable of running and catching the ball.

Then he drafts Damien Harris. From his NFL draft profile: "Very capable as dump-off pass catcher with soft hands and desired ball skills"

So possibly up to 4 RBs capable of both running and catching the ball.

The 2-TE offense is almost 10 years old at this point. Maybe its time for the 2-RB offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft