PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where were you for.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living in NW Maine at the time, and there the RS are king and not much else in winter, so I was an exiled Pats Fan.

Watched the Raiders game with my wife, who is as avid as I, but went to bed because she did not believe as much as she does now.

Same with the Pitt game, she believed more.

The SB home with her, could not believe the feeling at the end, got on the phone and called tons of folks just whooping and hollering.

The day after the SB, was at the bus stop with my grandson waiting for the School Bus, and was still glowing talked to a couple of parents who knew nothing about what had happened and one commented he heard something about it. So we decided to go to Boston for the first celebration at City Hall Plaza, there we got the feeling and will never forget it.

Raiders game - sitting in the parking lot with these huge flakes of snow coming down saying to my wife and brother how surreal it felt, then almost beginning walk up the steps when the "tuck" happened then walking out to the sounds of "Glory Days" thinking that it would never get any better for a home game.

Steelers - in my living room with wife, brother, sister-in-law, and my 6 month old daughter.

Rams - living room again with the same people, at the end I was kind of numb and turned to my brother and said "did they actually just win the Super Bowl?"

Faders-Driving through the snow from the minute I left. I couldn't get out of work early, the driving sucked and by the time I got there I was stuck parking way the hell down in back by the tanks in the lot. I got into my seat just after kickoff. Being the eternal pessimist, I left my seat after the fumble, walked up the stairs and was on my way out. For some reason, I stopped about mid-field and decided to wait for the final "death" call before continuing on my way. I watched the remainder of the game at the top of the stairway along with the rest of the pessimists. It took forever to get out of the lot and the driving still sucked so I didn't get home until 04:30 and had to go right into the PT job and the FT job right after that. Got home from work and slept through until the next morning.

Quittsburgh-watched the game at my house with the Mrs., my kids and my brother and his wife. The kids learned some new words both during the game and in the post-game celebration. They did learn the valuable lesson of leaving daddy alone when the Pats are on.

SB36-One of the guys I have ST with, was going to fly down and scalp tix for the game and wanted to know if I wanted to go. Of course I did, but with 2 rugrats and a stay-at-home wife it wasn't even remotely feasible (he went and had a blast). Instead we had a small party at my house with my crew, a couple friends, my brother & his wife and my brother's BIL and his wife. We ate and drank well and watched the game with cautious optimism, all of us on the edge of our seats and couches. The kids got lesson #2 on potty words. When Adam's kick went through, I remember just sitting there for a full minute in stunned disbelief, then running around the room high-fiving everyone and then out the front door yelling "We are the f'n SB champs!"

Our third child was born 9 months later.

Oakland game: party at our house with 5-6 couples. A lot of fun... I specifically recall the Brady 'fumble', as my heart sank... then seeing the replay and realizing this thing would be overturned. What a rollercoaster!

Pitt game: another party with 5-6 different couples. When Bledsoe came in for Brady and threw the TD to Patten, it seemed almost like the game was over at that point.

SB36: Just me, my wife and kids. Lots of whooping and hollering... another rollercoaster on the Tebucky fumble recovery/TD/penalty... and then later thinking Madden had lost his mind. "Play for overtime"?!?!?! A nice congrats call from my BIL, a rabid Jets fan who admitted to rooting against the Pats in that game.

What a great thread, makes me smile reading everyones memories....
I unfortunately was at sea on a container ship during their entire playoff run and relied on getting updates on BBC radio and Armed Forces Radio (when it would come in) while in the Med in the middle of the night because of time differences. and then getting the only commentary via a US Daily News E-mail we would get and then a page dissertation from my dad (thanks if you are readint this).
Still remember being so p1ss3d off over BBC giving all the scores of the soccer, cricket and rugby games and then mentioning that the NFL Playoffs were underway. anyway...
Everyone on the ship knew I was a huge Pats fan and one of the guys played a very evil trick on me the morning after the super bowl (when we werent in any radio service) and slipped a note under my door in the middle of the night saying that he just got the radio tuned in and that the Pats lost. Somehow I just knew he was messing with me. As soon as I got up, I checked the ships e-mail and the news didnt have the score because it was too late, but an hour later I got an e-mail with PATS ARE SUPER BOWL CHAMPS from home! A week later we got to spain and I had a package mailed to me from home with all three playoff games on tape.
Even though I already knew the result, I watched them one day after the other and it seemed and felt live (not truely beliving what I had heard until I saw it myself).
When I finally got back to the States my family met me in NY and had the entire car decked out in Pats apparel and had all the newspapers I could ask for waiting for me, to relive the playoff run and the beginning of the Dynasty!

It made me appreciate being home for each of the next two super bowl runs even more!

Raiders - At a friends apartment, there was like seven of us crammed into one small room watching the game. I remember the deflated feeling I felt on the "tuck play" thinking the Pats season was over. Then the elatedness I felt when it was reversed.

Steelers - I just knew the Pats would win this game. This game was never in doubt for me. I watched it at another friends house. I got pissed when I think it was Flowers dove a Brady's leg trying to injure him.

Rams - Super Bowl party at my house. One of the funniest things I remember is one of my friends was in the bathroom when Vrabel hit Warner near the goaline causing him to fumble. Tebucky Jones scooped it up and ran it back 95 yards for the touchdown. During all this we were going crazy, jumping around like little kids waiting for the ice cream truck, thinking the score would be 24-3. My friend that was in the bathroom, hearing all the commotion, zipped up too quick, came running out of the bathroom and tripped. Needless to say it was all for not.

Willie55 said:
Rams - Super Bowl party at my house. One of the funniest things I remember is one of my friends was in the bathroom when Vrabel hit Warner near the goaline causing him to fumble. Tebucky Jones scooped it up and ran it back 95 yards for the touchdown. During all this we were going crazy, jumping around like little kids waiting for the ice cream truck, thinking the score would be 24-3. My friend that was in the bathroom, hearing all the commotion, zipped up too quick, came running out of the bathroom and tripped. Needless to say it was all for not.
Damn, I remember all of us doing the exact same thing, although no one was using the facilities. Talk about crashing back to earth!

Great thread, appropriate for this time of year
Oakland Game - Although my wife is a football fan, she had previously accepted a dinner date for us with old neighbors who'd moved out of town. They're Brits, not into football but the son was. I asked that he NOT let us know what was happening on TV as I was recording the game at home. As we left to drive home in the snow I heard something about 3rd QTR and Pats behind 10-0 or something. Depressing, as I really thought the Raidiz would fold in the snow. I drove home with the radio off, deciding I'd watch the TiVo'ed game first thing in the morning. Went to bed. Asleep and the phone rings. New son-in-law calling screaming, "They won!!!" This MIT computer guy had recently became a Pats fan after marrying my Pats fan daughter during the Atlanta game. I got up and replayed the Tivo'ed game, then first learning about the Tuck incident and relishing Fifth Quarter.

The Tuck rule did not surprise me as I was at the Pats-Jets game earlier that season where Vinnie was sacked and the Pats recovered, only to see the play reversed because of the Tuck rule.

Squealers game was at Patriots Fan of the Year 'Zip's' house. A huge crowd and TV crew were there. What a party. The Bledsoe-Krishnas were in full celebration as Brady got injured and 'The Tall One With The Strong Arm' came in, nearly costing us the game with 2 bonehead plays in the 2nd half. A great party. Didn't get in a fight.

Rams was at my niece's 10th brithday party. Not a great forum for watching the game, but watch I did. I was an original 'Brady's Lady' right from training camp and when he started The Drive I knew I was watching history in the making. Standing there with my longtime friend, pats fan and brother in law and my new son in law at the win I was overwhelmed. Greatest sports moment EVER for me.

Where was I in 2001?

Raiders Game - In Foxboro.

Steelers Game - About 20 deep at my friend's house.

Superbowl - 10 yardline in the Superdome in New Orleans in shock.

By far my most favorite superbowl....

Great stories ... Brings it all back ...

I was in Bosnia through the 01-02 season. I watched the Snow Bowl and the Steelers game at a little coffee shop across from our shop. Several Raiders and Steeler fans present, and I was the lone Pats fan.

Watched SBXXXVI at my buddy's house. There were three of us (Sean the Giants fan, Al the sometime Rams fan, and me.)

Al almost left after Law's pic ... He actually dozed off some until the holding call on Willie. When we got the ball back with 1:21 left, I was mostly agreeing with Madden - until Redmon's second reception. I saw the win right there.

Kick is up, it's good, and I was in shock. I had enough time to drive home, shower, suck down some coffee, and go to work. Of course, the stereo had Queen cranked up when I got to the gate.

in my living room, watching with my dad - the man who made me a Pats fan.

1.) Oakland - watched at home alone, swearing at TV, kissed season goodbye on fumble and then astounded when it was overturned. Adam's 2 kicks were best I'd ever seen.

2.) Steelers - at home alone, sweating bullets, still pissed that Steelers had already made Superbowl reservations, loved it when they lost.

Preface to number 3: My son and I were at the Rams-Pats game played during the season. Pats lost but we both walked out saying "you know, the Pats can beat those SOB's.)

3.) Couldn't believe the Pats played in a superbowl while we were in Orlando for a family vacation, so we missed all the New England News and TV stuff after the win. As for the game itself, my son and I watched it on a large screen TV in the Tambu lounge at Walt Disney World's Polynesian Resort. Both of us half hammered, sitting next to a really obnoxious Rams fan bellowing belligerently "How bout those Rams!" after Proehls' tying touchdown and then watching him meekly slinking out after Brady's drive and Adam's kick. Doesn't get any better then that (short of actually being at the game.) :singing:

For the Raiders game I was home from college on Christmas break, glad to finally be able to catch a Pats game on TV. I watched with my mom dad and brother and my dad went to bed beginning of the 4th quarter because he had to work early next day. When the Pats won the ruling on the fumble/incompletion we woke my dad up and nervously watched the climactic outcome.

The next week I watched at home by myself and remember being glad that Bledsoe made the most of his opportunity to play in that game. I knew Brady was probably going to be the starter next season. I was proud of the guy when he tossed that nice sideline bomb for a touchdown.

for the Super Bowl my family had a small party and a couple of my college friends came over and we had wings and beer. My friends aren't big football fans but always watch the Super Bowl so they weren't ready for all the yelling and high-fiving my family did. I was nervous that whole week leading up and when Ty made that big interception I knew we could really win the game.

I have to say that last season's victory was the most magical for me because of the way our guys handled everything on and off the field. They went in motivated and businesslike at media day and in every playoff game. After beating Philly I knew that nobody could say we were just another passing fad produced by parity anymore and that nobody could talk **** about Brady being a 'system QB'.

Ahh the Memories

We just got our season tickets in 01 after 5 years on the waiting list, so my Dad and I were at the Oakland game. The most emotional, up and down sporting event I've attended. Thought the season was over after the "fumble". Went beserk after the call was overturned. Was hoarse for days afterward. Stood the entire time. Could barley see the FG attempt. Waited for the crowds reaction to see if it was good.

At my friend's house in PA (where I lived at the time) for the Steelers game. There were Steelers fans in attendance. So many penalties. So many reviews. Ticked off when Brady got hurt, but very happy that we had Bledsoe to back him up. (How many teams had (2) QB's that good.) Kordell sucks no way he stages a comeback to beat us. Almost in shock that the Pats were going back to the SB again. Awesome getting the congratulatory calls from Steelers fans after.

I had big SB parties for 10-years straight. Lots of food and drink. With an emphasis on the drink. My buds from Mass. came down to PA for the game as they do every year. My sister made it too. She had vowed never to come back after the debacle that was the Pats-GB SB. That was ugly. This time was different. We painted ourselves blue. Flew the Pats flag on the front lawn. Played Gary Glitter after every Pats score. Was outside at the grill when Ty picked off that pass. Mad I missed it but it was cool to hear the roar from the house while I was outside. Flipped out after Willie's holding call. Couldn't beleive the Rams came back. Adam's kick is good. Pandemonium! Partied and danced and sang and jumped up and down all night. Unbelievable

I watched at my house in Methuen on my 35 in. Sony Trinitron with surround sound. I got laid-off in January 02 (a late victim of 9-11). I ended up selling the house and moved to Las Vegas. I saw them win their second SB there. I now live in Attleboro and saw them win their 3rd there. I guess I'll have to move again by Super Bowl 40. :)

I was at the Snow Bowl in Foxboro Stadium for the Raiders game (I still take credit for turning to my husband after the Woodson hit and screaming in desperation, "Isn't that a forward pass?! Why isn't that an incomplete forward pass?!" - Walt Coleman heard me!!). I was at my friend Rich's house for the Pittsburgh game and cried when Drew Bledsoe cried at the end, and I was in the rafters of the Superdome (1 row from the top about the 15 yd. line - Ty Law ran right by us with his interception) for the incredible win! I have been to all the other home playoff games and Pats Superbowls since, and nothing compares to the feelings at the end of the first superbowl win. Everyone was crying with happiness. it was such incredible joy!

PatsWorldChamps said:
Was the baby named adam or brady?
LOL! No, but we already had a Tom.

To be honest, I never made the time connection until a friend brought it up! :)

My freshman dorm in college had one TV lounge, and that's where I was for the Raiders and Steelers games. For the Steelers game, I actually had some company.

For the Super Bowl, I was at a SB party at a friend's apartment (the friend was actually from St. Louis, but everyone else was pro-Patriot).

Funny story, though. When the "tuck rule fumble-incompletion-whatever" happened, I thought it was a fumble.

So I turned the TV off and tossed the remote across the room. I was so mad, because the team had gotten so far, worked so hard, and they'd been so close, and a stupid thing like that had to happen.

So I left, and went out to a party. And after several drinks, I came across a buddy of mine from San Francisco, and overheard him *****ing to a friend about how upset he was because the Raiders lost.

"The Raiders lost?" I asked desperately.

He nodded, and I screamed so loud that the RA's came and broke up the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes