PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where the pats stand right now

Thinking about all QB options - Had a thought about the standing of Jarrett Stidham.

What if Bill didn't play him more at the end of last season because he knew that 1. He clearly wasn't quite there with his development and 2. He'd struggle even more than seasoned vets Brady & Newton with the same barren receiving corps.

If he had played him, it would be further damaging to his confidence and the negative outings would seal his fate in the court of Patriots fans opinion (though among most he is already on the trash heap).

If Stidham really is unplayable and has no NFL future, wouldn't Bill have cut him like all the others and signed a cheap vet or another youngster?

Does anyone see room for his development this year or would a Lance/Jones take his 2 spot on the QB depth chart before the season is done?

Thinking about all QB options - Had a thought about the standing of Jarrett Stidham.

What if Bill didn't play him more at the end of last season because he knew that 1. He clearly wasn't quite there with his development and 2. He'd struggle even more than seasoned vets Brady & Newton with the same barren receiving corps.

If he had played him, it would be further damaging to his confidence and the negative outings would seal his fate in the court of Patriots fans opinion (though among most he is already on the trash heap).

If Stidham really is unplayable and has no NFL future, wouldn't Bill have cut him like all the others and signed a cheap vet or another youngster?

Does anyone see room for his development this year or would a Lance/Jones take his 2 spot on the QB depth chart before the season is done?
I can see it either way. The argument for holding him out with a bad offense around him to save his confidence is at least somewhat plausible... but I don't totally buy it. I can't envision his confidence would've been hurt too much just from playing a couple games at the end last year after they were eliminated.

At the same time, I don't think that he's total trash because he can't start. Bill may or may not think he has future starter potential, but I do think Bill believes he is at least a competent #2. It's not like teams only keep backup QBs who can become eventual starters.

I can see it either way. The argument for holding him out with a bad offense around him to save his confidence is at least somewhat plausible... but I don't totally buy it. I can't envision his confidence would've been hurt too much just from playing a couple games at the end last year after they were eliminated.

At the same time, I don't think that he's total trash because he can't start. Bill may or may not think he has future starter potential, but I do think Bill believes he is at least a competent #2. It's not like teams only keep backup QBs who can become eventual starters.
Yes perhaps that Bill sees him as the next Hoyer - 5 year Pats backup.

You forgot about Adrian Phillips, who will be starting at safety and playing well.

We need a QB and at least one legit WR

Both Wynn and Brown are in "prove it" contract years.
Wynn's cap hit jumps from $3.6 mill to $10.4 mill if NE picks up his '22 option.
Brown is now on a 1 yr deal with a poor track record when signed to multi year deals.

Two starters, each with unique issues, possibly in their final year as Patriots............
If somehow Jimmy G shakes free for a 2nd rounder, I can see a scenario where NE goes OT in the 1st which would hopefully provide some long term stability at a critical position.
If Bill goes all in on a rookie QB, the OT can will have to be kicked down the road likely for a year or two.

The pats were 7-9 & 19th in ppg differential:

20.4 PPG (27th)
22.1 PPG against (7th)

I think they could be:

24 PPG (16th-20th)
19 PPG against (top 5)

+5 PPG differential would put them anywhere from 8th-12th in the NFL. I think that’s an accurate depiction of where they stand as the vegas odds aren’t far off.

We have a legit WRs. We do not have an elite one. The question is is having an elite one mandatory when we already have 2 Pro-Bowl -potential TEs.
Agreed that the wrs are better than advertised but based on the direction the league has been heading for a while now, a true 1 would help immensely... if you can keep the free safety out of the flat by having a true threat at wr, it helps open everything else up underneath etc...

edited, removed gronk ah stuffs

Last edited:
Agreed that the wrs are better than advertised but based on the direction the league has been heading for a while now, a true 1 would help immensely... if you can keep the free safety out of the flat by having a true threat at wr, it helps open everything else up underneath etc...

Gronk and ah were an incredibly effective tandem in part because moss took up space in opposing defenses heads... Gronk transitioned into an all time great at the position helped as well...
Moss only played 4 games with Gronk and AH and they were rookies at the time and knew nothing.

Bob, I know giving grades is very subjective and I respect your opinion, but if you're giving our special teams unit which is the best in the league a B.....wow, you're a tough grader!!!! Also think if our Tight end position, O-line, RB's are less than an A....again tough grader.

Maybe my special teams grade was a bit low. I'm willing to be talked into moving it up. My main issue with STs is we don't have a kicker I feel very confident in. Kicker to me is like the QB of the STs. When you don't have an elite one it's hard for me to give the unit an A. Maybe if they had a truly dynamic return game along with lots of blocked kicks I could see it. But without one of the best kickers in the NFL it's hard for me to put them in the A range. Maybe B+?

Yes, I am an admitedly tough grader, but for a reason. You can't give a grade higher than an A+. And I wouldn't want to give out an A+ and then need to give out an A++ when someone is clearly better.

Moss only played 4 games with Gronk and AH and they were rookies at the time and knew nothing.
Thanks . For some reason, I blame age lol, I thought those two started in 07. I stand corrected.

Thanks . For some reason, I blame age lol, I thought those two started in 07. I stand corrected.
I always blame old age. Last night I said the NEP never made a trade with the Bengals. Totally forgot about trading for Corey Dillon....Senior moment.

Yes, you have one of the top two or three sets of tight ends and offensive lines in the league, they both have to be an A. Agree with your grade on the running backs. We have 3 good ones, and one ? but no great ones.
Why is A- not good enough for our TEs? It seems fine to me. An A would be having Kittle or Kelce. An A+ would be having a prime Gronk AND Hernandez or another decent TE option like Bennett. I think the A- is appropriate. No team this year has an A+ at TE IMO.

I gave our OL a B+ for the simple reason that I'm not confident Wynn will stay healthy. And if he goes down we are screwed. It makes me nervous.

RB depends a lot on Harris. if he give us 200+ carries this year and look just as good, maybe we move up to A- range. Be nice if he could catch more passes too. I hope he can be a McCaffrey lite.

Gronk and ah were an incredibly effective tandem in part because moss took up space in opposing defenses heads... Gronk transitioned into an all time great at the position helped as well...

Randy Moss played 4 games with them before he got shipped out after the Monday Night game in Miami in 2010.

What the league does is interesting but since this is patsfans.com.....the real question is, "What are the Patriots doing?"

Here are the points:

Cam Newton was terrible last year!

Unless we go "Back to the Future", it means nothing. Was he truly hurt last year? Does anyone outside of the staff truly know? Does anyone believe that the staff was not fully appraised before signing?

The "#1 WR" concept buys into the mentality that you need to score 40 points per game. No....you need to score more than your opponent and not turn the ball over.

Last year, we gave up 19 points in KC. It was 6-3 after 3 quarters.

It's obvious the fanboi's in the Dummy Squad will never accept but the reality is TB's defense was elite in the playoffs......but TB scored 30 points per game!

Well, they did score 30 against New Orleans.....after three turnovers and 3 TD drives that needed a total of 40 yards.

TB scored against GB with a defense so bone headed, the DC got fired and a 3 yard drive. How 'bout those 3 second half picks!!

No need to rehash the KC meltdown.

Is TB's elite playoff defense any better that what we can expect?

The league has gone smaller 1 gap line guys and small faster LB's. Does this mean we are going roadgrader OL and overwhelming power run based offense?

Should we expect anything less on special teams or have guys jump offsides on field goals and shanking punts?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back