PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Do We Still Need Depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have four weeks to develop the "final" roster.

We'll see a veteran lineman after Week 1. We have an obvious need with Neal and Ross on the PUP. Faulk will be back, presumably at the expense of Jones (although it could Slater or Ventrone who is the odd man out). And, Belichick has promised more moves, upgrading a position or two.

Upgrades are one thing. But is there is there anywhere you see a crying NEED that might be filled?

My candidates ar ILB and SS, Seau and Lynch, unless Belichick has someone else in mind.

When I listened to BB's interview this afternoon, I got the impression that Seau's time in New England has likely come and gone barring a major change in the LB situation.

Well no one has mentioned it, while i feel confident in the lb postion.. Would not mind seeing another DB added to the mix..But here is a position that could use another body...

WR

If Moss or Welker are loss for any amt of time, the passing game will be like 2006.. Kelly Washington needs to be a factor, and Gaffney is a decent number 3..CJ Jones is a big unknwon.. Ventrone is the new version of troy brown, which is one of the reasons why chad jackson is not here anymore.. Another Wr would not hurt, but I dont see alot out there ..

Well no one has mentioned it, while i feel confident in the lb postion.. Would not mind seeing another DB added to the mix..But here is a position that could use another body...

WR

If Moss or Welker are loss for any amt of time, the passing game will be like 2006.. Kelly Washington needs to be a factor, and Gaffney is a decent number 3..CJ Jones is a big unknwon.. Ventrone is the new version of troy brown, which is one of the reasons why chad jackson is not here anymore.. Another Wr would not hurt, but I dont see alot out there ..

Don't worry. Ventrone will play wr, fs, ss, fb, and return kicks:D
I'd really like to see more of Washington. Then I would relax more about that position.

As I see it, the better the OL is, the less chance we have of seeing Cassel. A weak link there could mean the end of the prosperous offense we enjoyed last year.

We are still in dire need of depth at:

Center - The FO better re-sign Mike Flynn after Week 1.

RG - In fact, we still need a starting RG. I would re-sign John Welbourn after week 1 and sign G Evan Mathis now.

LT - I would bring Anthony Alabi to Foxborough for at least a workout. And what's Tom Ashworth up to these days?

WR - There is absolutely nothing dependable after the Big 3. I'd rather have Reche Caldwell & Tim Dwight than Sam Aiken & CJ Jones.

NT - LeKevin Smith has seen more reps at DE than NT, and that makes no effin sense to me. I would seriously consider Junior Siavii & Antaj Hawthorne, baggage & all; or even Sam Adams, 5 years after he should have been here.

SILB - Releasing Hobson before he had more time to learn his new position - or until Junior Seau is healthy - is inexcusable. The defense now does not have even one true SILB, because Bruschi can no longer stack & shed as he used to do, and that was never his forte, anyway.

CB - I think that enough has been written on this subject already.

FS - Slater & Ventrone have zero in-game experience.

SS - Bring back John Lynch.

CB is the worst. We need to fill this hole.

CB - "He who shall not be underpaid" is still available? One has to wonder if BB has already orchestrated his return here, or is Ty just waiting to see if a bidding war will ensue?

SS - Lynch played his A_S_S off in preseason. I don't care if he is slow, he can help this team. I figure this is just some kind of book keeping magic and he will be back with the Pats.

ILB - I think we are short at ILB, but I doubt they address it. Shadow roster may help here... no one is going to sign Seau. Hobson is also likely to remain on the shelf.

Last edited:
I seriously hope that our OL will protect TB at all cost. I don't like to see TB sacked 100000000000 times any more.

I think the most obvious answer is WE DONT KNOW. After a whole game with the team fielding all players available....then we will know what we have. We dont have HOLES on this team, there are weaknesses as there are on any team. Last years' team was one of the best teams in the history of the league, so its a bit unfair to compare to...and YES this team doesnt have as much talent on paper. I define a HOLE as a starting position that cant be filled by anyone on the roster. The major problem with this team is the difference in talent from starters to backups. As roles become more specific and better defined they get harder to backup....

Please post where the patriots placed among teams in stats last year.

I seriously hope that our OL will protect TB at all cost. I don't like to see TB sacked 100000000000 times any more.

Where do "we" still need depth.

Who's "we"

Entitlement issues ?

This is not an unbiased football board. It is for discussing and posting about OUR team. When we discuss the patriots, we are discussing OUR team. It is WE not THEY who needs depth at certain positions.

Where do "we" still need depth.

Who's "we"

Entitlement issues ?

I think we have four weeks to develop the "final" roster.

We'll see a veteran lineman after Week 1. We have an obvious need with Neal and Ross on the PUP. Faulk will be back, presumably at the expense of Jones (although it could Slater or Ventrone who is the odd man out). And, Belichick has promised more moves, upgrading a position or two.

Upgrades are one thing. But is there is there anywhere you see a crying NEED that might be filled?

My candidates ar ILB and SS, Seau and Lynch, unless Belichick has someone else in mind.

It's only a 53 man roster. You can only have so much depth. We have enough to field the best team we can - and the backups are the ones who have thus far won their individual competitions.

Belichick is always interested in keeping everyone working hard to get better and will take a look at anyone he thinks can improve the team.

I don't think there's any simpler way to state it.

This is not an unbiased football board. It is for discussing and posting about OUR team. When we discuss the patriots, we are discussing OUR team. It is WE not THEY who needs depth at certain positions.

The bias of the board still gives no one the right to say "we"

It is OUR team to follow - but since there is no voting privledges attached to fans - it is "their" decisions, "their" team.

I get that this is a Patriots board. But we are not boardmembers of the Patriots

When you refer to "we" - you are referring to the fans. That is the collective "we"

And I am proud to be a "we" of the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes