PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with the PAT's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Blue&Red

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Really Tho, what's up with the high percentage of missed extra points this season? I see a lot of criticism of BB, and comments of possible regrets by him for endorsing the rule change. But I think it's worked out as exactly as he intended. Get rid of the "Given", if you will. I mean, look at how many missed XPs today. But why so many? Last I checked it was 11 today, alone. Probably more by now. You see these guys make 45-50 yrd FG's all the time. Is it a brain fart? Trying to adjust from a distance they've practiced for so long? What are your thoughts? Edit: Did I catch anybody with the thread title? You guys are so gullible. ;)

I don't think anything is wrong. We just saw the 92% success rate, land on tails (the other 8%) more than usual today. Whats to complain about? They only talked about the missed, but what was the overall conversion percent? 75% 80%? 85%? In small sample size. Nothing to get worked up about. Unless your a talking head of course.

How many sites, besides sf, had rainy nasty weather yesterday?

Also, since the nyjfl now allows you to do things to the LS that you couldn't two-three weeks ago, I saw a highlight of at least one blocked by a rush up the middle...how many of those?

How many sites, besides sf, had rainy nasty weather yesterday?

Also, since the nyjfl now allows you to do things to the LS that you couldn't two-three weeks ago, I saw a highlight of at least one blocked by a rush up the middle...how many of those?

The game in Cleveland had pretty nasty weather too, wind gusts up to 40 mph I think and a good amount of rain. Tonight's Skins/Packers game was apparently pretty windy as well. It's getting to be that time of year.

I wish they'd put it back to the 2. Imagine a missed PAT right after a clutch FG drive to take the lead or tie (whether in a regular season or especially in a playoff/SuperBowl game).

There was no need to increase the role of kickers. Leaving the FGs to them was enough.

It can make the game of football appear sloppy. And also result in sloppy/flukey wins and losses.

I wish they'd put it back to the 2. Imagine a missed PAT right after a clutch FG drive to take the lead or tie (whether in a regular season or especially in a playoff/SuperBowl game).

There was no need to increase the role of kickers. Leaving the FGs to them was enough.

If anything, they just made the game look more sloppy.
why even have PATs then? just make TDs 7 points, unless you decide to go for a 2-pt conversion.

if you drive the length of the field and score a TD to tie it / win it...a missed/blocked PAT shouldn't reverse that

you shouldn't have to wait until AFTER the PAT to really celebrate...the PAT is just too anti climactic, you know exactly what is coming

maybe we're just to used to the PAT being meaningless so we're biased, but I'd rather the game get decided on the plays to get to 6, rather than what comes after to get 1

why even have PATs then? just make TDs 7 points, unless you decide to go for a 2-pt conversion.

I agree. I remember that was one of the alternatives and I personally wouldn't mind it.

what's up? Thye NFL has once again fixed something that wasn't broke and now aggravates the living shyt out of us by throwing a monkey wrench into what NFL fans have perceived for a century as the ebb and flow of the game. "we're down 8 with two minutes left...we hold and get the ball back we have a chance!...oh wait..he missed the kick! game over...this tastes like SHYT!"

Another dundering, moronic "improvement" from the King Of Deflationary Policy, Pinhead Rog

what's up? Thye NFL has once again fixed something that wasn't broke and now aggravates the living shyt out of us by throwing a monkey wrench into what NFL fans have perceived for a century as the ebb and flow of the game. "we're down 8 with two minutes left...we hold and get the ball back we have a chance!...oh wait..he missed the kick! game over...this tastes like SHYT!"

Another dundering, moronic "improvement" from the King Of Deflationary Policy, Pinhead Rog
except bill belichick was the person who first proposed the rule change for the PAT to be pushed back to the 15-yard line.

except bill belichick was the person who first proposed the rule change for the PAT to be pushed back to the 15-yard line.
He was and did this because kickers have clearly gotten better. Since 1970 there has been 11 seasons where a 60+ yard field goal has been made. 7 of those have came in the last 8 seasons. Moving the PAT has certainly made things more interesting.

Interesting is one thing, but turning it into an adventure is quite another...

Suspect that this is less about the distance of the extra point, and more about the fragile psyche of the NFL kickers.. suck it up buttercup.

Admit it. You used to bolt for the bathroom, go freshen your drink, whatever as they lined up for the PAT. Now instead, you mutter bad, bad things about Polish people and watch nervously.

I wonder how much of this has become a mental thing about these kicks being PATS, rather than FGs. I'd love to know the success % of 33 yard FG attempts this sesson vs the success % of PATs.

if you drive the length of the field and score a TD to tie it / win it...a missed/blocked PAT shouldn't reverse that

you shouldn't have to wait until AFTER the PAT to really celebrate...the PAT is just too anti climactic, you know exactly what is coming

maybe we're just to used to the PAT being meaningless so we're biased, but I'd rather the game get decided on the plays to get to 6, rather than what comes after to get 1

Try not to be down by 7, then. Scoring scenarios are also busted wide open with more misses, so leads aren't just multiples of 3, 7, 10, etc.

I wonder how much of this has become a mental thing about these kicks being PATS, rather than FGs. I'd love to know the success % of 33 yard FG attempts this sesson vs the success % of PATs.

Not just for the kickers, but us as fans. Even though we KNOW the PAT is further back I think our minds still won't allow us to comprehend that a PAT is anything but a given. A missed PAT still feels like the worst thing in the world for a kicker (and fans' views of a kicker) even though ironically it costs the team less points (1) than a missed 33 yd fg (3)

I think most of the people complaining about this change are only doing so because now they don't know what squares to hope for in the office pool.

I don't think anything is wrong. We just saw the 92% success rate, land on tails (the other 8%) more than usual today. Whats to complain about? They only talked about the missed, but what was the overall conversion percent? 75% 80%? 85%? In small sample size. Nothing to get worked up about. Unless your a talking head of course.

It's amazing that 1 point makes such a difference, but it does, as much for the psychology of the game as the game itself. I'm WAY less nervous about our game up 14-10, than up 13-10.

It's amazing that 1 point makes such a difference, but it does, as much for the psychology of the game as the game itself. I'm WAY less nervous about our game up 14-10, than up 13-10.
I agree, but the opponent has the same disadvantage. so it kind of evens it out. Unless they have a clutch kicker, which I thought we did at one time. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back