PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would be Gilmore’s trade value?

A team like Buffalo might be willing to overpay, even in the division. Ask them for a 2nd, end of 2nd round. They need someone opposite Tre White.

Not enough to let him go (unless he falls off considerably). Get the comp pick if he gets a big contract after this year. Its not worth the cap savings either, I believe we save $10m but then were down a #1 cb and weve seen the trickle down effect that has on this d.

Gilmore will be 31 in September.

He has a $15m cap hit

They save $7.3m if he is off the payroll.

Healthy he is still a Top 10 CB

There is no way in hell BB gives him an extension.

He is as good as gone.

Might fetch a 2nd to a CB needy contender but it also depends on what the new team wants to commit to for cash.
Why do you think he won’t fetch an extension? I can see the case for a 1 year extension to carry him along to a greener post-pandemic pasture. He’s mostly been a model player and teammate as far as I can tell.

Having said that, with Jackson in the wings, Bill may prefer a decent pick plus a $7m cap savings. The DBs will of course be weaker but if that $7m and pick can go towards improvements up front and in the middle, maybe it’s not a huge deal. I also am pretty optimistic about Joejuan Williams and Myles Bryant to become good players...

Why do you think he won’t fetch an extension? I can see the case for a 1 year extension to carry him along to a greener post-pandemic pasture. He’s mostly been a model player and teammate as far as I can tell.

Having said that, with Jackson in the wings, Bill may prefer a decent pick plus a $7m cap savings. The DBs will of course be weaker but if that $7m and pick can go towards improvements up front and in the middle, maybe it’s not a huge deal. I also am pretty optimistic about Joejuan Williams and Myles Bryant to become good players...
I have no issue with Gilly. Love him. MIght be Bill's best FA signing ever.

He won't get an extension because of his age. If he were 29, Bill would convert most of the $15m in a signing bonus and spread it to 2022 or extend him, etc. 31 in Sept is a tough age.

Key dates are FA 3/17. Will Gilly ask for a release before then? The draft is 4/29. Trade? Then it's TC and cut-downs in Aug. Trade? Keep and trade during 2021?

I think they want to extend JC. Take Gilly's cap savings and allocate it to him.

JuJuan needs to take the next step.

I really like Bryant. Seems like a slot guy though.

Last edited:

My guess is both were/will be offered extensions. JC's manager will likely decline & you have MB situation again where good #2 corner wants to be paid #1 bc he thrived in the company of top shutdown corner & top DB group.

I dont think BB wants to go into the season with 2 top CBs hitting FA next yr. If none of them takes extension, he will likely move on from Gilmore and sign top #1 CB on the market or trade for someone like Callahan, Roby, Lattimore..

If Gilmore accepts extension he can trade JC high and go search for another CB cinderella :)

Picks & cap are secondary in this story, its about securing #1 CB for the next few seasons imo.

My guess is both were/will be offered extensions. JC's manager will likely decline & you have MB situation again where good #2 corner wants to be paid #1 bc he thrived in the company of top shutdown corner & top DB group.

I dont think BB wants to go into the season with 2 top CBs hitting FA next yr. If none of them takes extension, he will likely move on from Gilmore and sign top #1 CB on the market or trade for someone like Callahan, Roby, Lattimore..

If Gilmore accepts extension he can trade JC high and go search for another CB cinderella :)

Picks & cap are secondary in this story, its about securing #1 CB for the next few seasons imo.

Why are you so sure JC can’t be number 1 corner. He’s much better than Logan Ryan and slightly better than Malcolm Butler.

The good thing about Gilly is he can play and play well in almost any system. I've mentioned the Colts before bc how much they played man. C3 is still the rage in a lot of circles, he'd be perfect there. He's still a really good player. Smart, quiet, professional. He's been a top 5-15 corner his entire career. His value isn't tremendous. Most likely only someone truly competitive would deal for him so that rules out a good 15-20 teams.

Nothing less than a 3rd. He's too good. Maybe try to get a package deal done with him and some picks?

I wouldn’t expect more than a 3rd rounder at this point. The time to trade him was last year could of probably fetched a 2nd for him.

Id rather have Gilly on the team than an extra 3rd. But if they can get a 2nd I’d do it.

As others said, Gilmore won't fetch a huge amount on the open market for the reasons listed. And big physical CBs tend to breakdown or at least see sharper declines once they hit 30. Not saying Gilmore will, but teams will take that into effect.

Unless the relationship is fractured enough because of his contract, the Pats may be better off extending him rather than trading him. But if the relationship is fractured, whatever they can get for him is good enough even if it is next to nothing.

I would say a 2nd and a player

I mentioned Gilmore for Gallup but this may be more realistic:

Gilmore for OBJ! Both coming off of injuries, salaries match up pretty well. Both players would probably like a change of scenery. Gilmore across from Ward would improve Cleveland’s pass D significantly and BB would get a WR whom he (reportedly) loves.

View attachment 30515
Trade one injured aging malcontent for another? Pass.

I'm in the camp that if he's disgruntled, not working hard, or playing to save himself for his next contract rather than making the best play he can, I'd say trade him for whatever you can get. You want the culture to still reward hard work and selflessness, especially if you bring in a rookie QB and want to set a leadership example for him to grow into.

But I don't really see anything that suggests he's going to be like that. He wanted more money after a DPOY season, but I have a hard time trying to read the "body language" of any player who played in 2020. It was a weird year, and a lot of things felt... apathetic, not just the players but the league in general.

If he still wants to play, there's no real reason to free up the cap space this year. We actually HAVE the space to keep him and vastly upgrade the team, so the only reason to move on from him is if he's trouble in the locker room or someone gets stupid and offers a first rounder for him (and even then I'd want it top 20 at least).

I mentioned Gilmore for Gallup but this may be more realistic:

Gilmore for OBJ! Both coming off of injuries, salaries match up pretty well. Both players would probably like a change of scenery. Gilmore across from Ward would improve Cleveland’s pass D significantly and BB would get a WR whom he (reportedly) loves.

View attachment 30515

OBJ was one of the youngest players in his draft year. He won’t be 29 until November. If by aging you mean in his prime, then yes, he is “aging”. That’s what the human body does, no matter how many secret plastic surgeries a supermodel and her husband put themselves through.

As for his ACL injury, if this were 1989, I’d be more worried. In 2021, not so much. Plus, it seems as though this aging superstar is recovering quite nicely.

2. Odell Beckham Jr. storming back from his torn ACL

Beckham said on his Instagram story this week that he had his three-month follow-up appointment from ACL surgery with Dr. James Andrews, and that Andrews told him he’s either recovering faster than anyone he’s ever seen, or he’s right up there.

Beckham, who frequently posts videos of his rehab on social media, also Tweeted Friday that “I’m more motivated than I’ve ever been.’'

At his current clip, Beckham could be ready by the start of the 2021 season. The Browns are excited to get him back, but from a business standpoint, they’ll also have to consider trading him this offseason. His cap number is $15.75 million, and they must decide if they want to pay him that much when they’re also paying Jarvis Landry $14.753 million. Beckham must also decide if he wants to continue to try to develop chemistry with Baker Mayfield, or if he might not fare better elsewhere.

The Browns must also ask themselves if there are footballs to go around to have more than $30 million invested in two receivers — in a year in which the cap could hit the COVID-impacted floor of $175 million, down more than $22 million from this season.

Again, the Browns like Beckham a lot and would love to have him back. But if someone makes them an offer they can’t refuse, they’d be more inclined to listen this offseason than last year.

Could a “malcontent” whose natural talent is a step above almost everyone else in the league thrive in NE? Randy Gene Moss says hello.

OBJ has some personality issues for sure but is also an incredibly hard worker and, in my opinion, would thrive within the structure of Belichick’s program. It would not be without risk because that relationship could sour quickly if Bill can’t find a competent QB and turn things around within the next 1-2 years but I’d much rather take a chance on a once-in-a decade talent who is at a career crossroads at age 28 than a second day draft pick who has a 50% chance of never being a major contributor.

OBJ was one of the youngest players in his draft year. He won’t be 29 until November. If by aging you mean in his prime, then yes, he is “aging”. That’s what the human body does, no matter how many secret plastic surgeries a supermodel and her husband put themselves through.

As for his ACL injury, if this were 1989, I’d be more worried. In 2021, not so much. Plus, it seems as though this aging superstar is recovering quite nicely.

2. Odell Beckham Jr. storming back from his torn ACL

Beckham said on his Instagram story this week that he had his three-month follow-up appointment from ACL surgery with Dr. James Andrews, and that Andrews told him he’s either recovering faster than anyone he’s ever seen, or he’s right up there.

Beckham, who frequently posts videos of his rehab on social media, also Tweeted Friday that “I’m more motivated than I’ve ever been.’'

At his current clip, Beckham could be ready by the start of the 2021 season. The Browns are excited to get him back, but from a business standpoint, they’ll also have to consider trading him this offseason. His cap number is $15.75 million, and they must decide if they want to pay him that much when they’re also paying Jarvis Landry $14.753 million. Beckham must also decide if he wants to continue to try to develop chemistry with Baker Mayfield, or if he might not fare better elsewhere.

The Browns must also ask themselves if there are footballs to go around to have more than $30 million invested in two receivers — in a year in which the cap could hit the COVID-impacted floor of $175 million, down more than $22 million from this season.

Again, the Browns like Beckham a lot and would love to have him back. But if someone makes them an offer they can’t refuse, they’d be more inclined to listen this offseason than last year.

Could a “malcontent” whose natural talent is a step above almost everyone else in the league thrive in NE? Randy Gene Moss says hello.

OBJ has some personality issues for sure but is also an incredibly hard worker and, in my opinion, would thrive within the structure of Belichick’s program. It would not be without risk because that relationship could sour quickly if Bill can’t find a competent QB and turn things around within the next 1-2 years but I’d much rather take a chance on a once-in-a decade talent who is at a career crossroads at age 28 than a second day draft pick who has a 50% chance of never being a major contributor.
Interestingly, I believe OBJ and Cam are pals.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back