PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would a trade up to 7 cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does.

I'm not trading ANY Day 1/2 assets this year OR next year for ANY of the non-Lawrences.

And I'm not making ANY phone calls while there are still two QBs on the board.
You make phone calls now to get a framework in place in the event you decide to trade. I would imagine the patriots have discussed trading up with all the teams in range. Knowing the price helps make the decision. For example Detroit may be very willing to move and Carolina not willing, so
you get a better deal with Detroit. You don’t know that if you wait and pick up the phone when they are in the clock.

does it matter?

If Justin Fields is there at 7 you can trade 10 first round picks for all I care if you think he is can lead your franchise for the next 15 years

does it matter?

If Justin Fields is there at 7 you can trade 10 first round picks for all I care if you think he is can lead your franchise for the next 15 years
Folks overvalue future firsts. Our second is worth more than our 2022 first and much more than a 2023 first.

You make phone calls now to get a framework in place in the event you decide to trade. I would imagine the patriots have discussed trading up with all the teams in range. Knowing the price helps make the decision. For example Detroit may be very willing to move and Carolina not willing, so
you get a better deal with Detroit. You don’t know that if you wait and pick up the phone when they are in the clock.

Yes I agree that Bill needs to know - and I wouldn't doubt that he already knows - the parameters of potential trades with all of the teams above him who would be willing to listen to offers...I am referring to the phone calls that include official trade offers; and in my mind there is no need to make one while there are still two QBs available.

So no it wasn't worth it. The Falcons went to one superbowl and lost to the Patriots. Julio Jones is a great wide receiver, he wasn't worth what they paid to get him. With all those draft picks they could have had a much stronger team. Perhaps two more strong defensive players would have let them win the superbowl.
They would have won the SB if they ran the ball a bit. In fact Julio pretty much iced the game for them if they just ran and were conservative. You can’t say the outcome means it wasn’t worth it. We double Julio all game and he still made important plays and freed up others

Yes I agree that Bill needs to know - and I wouldn't doubt that he already knows - the parameters of potential trades with all of the teams above him who would be willing to listen to offers...I am referring to the phone calls that include official trade offers; and in my mind there is no need to make one while there are still two QBs available.
Depends on which of the 5 you hate, if any.

They would have won the SB if they ran the ball a bit. In fact Julio pretty much iced the game for them if they just ran and were conservative. You can’t say the outcome means it wasn’t worth it. We double Julio all game and he still made important plays and freed up others
Of course I can say it. A rookie wide receiver is not worth two drafts worth of picks. Football is a team game, the only player worth that much draft capital is the qb.

Depends on which of the 5 you hate, if any.

Ass-uming the first two picks are Lawrence & Wilson, the rest of them are close enough that I would offer the same package no matter which of them become the last two standing...and that package does Not include - and will NEVER include - either #46 this year OR next year's first-rounder...

NFW I'm surrendering current AND/OR future early-round assets for Genuinely Unproven QB prospects...#46 AND BOTH next year's 1st- AND 2nd-rounders are OFF. THE. TABLE...PERIOD.

I'm not trading ANY Day 1/2 assets this year OR next year for ANY of the non-Lawrences.

And I'm not making ANY phone calls while there are still two QBs on the board.

I'm going to soften my stance regarding next year's 2nd-rounder...I will sacrifice this pick in a trade-up but Only to either #4 or #7 at the Latest...

Both #46 AND next year's 1st-rounder - either together or separately - are still, and will remain Forever, OFF THE TABLE.

Ass-uming the first two picks are Lawrence & Wilson, the rest of them are close enough that I would offer the same package no matter which of them become the last two standing...and that package does Not include - and will NEVER include - either #46 this year OR next year's first-rounder...
Then you are saying you don’t value fixing the QB issue.
Having a qb and not having a second or next years 1 is better than not having a qb and having those picks. Because you can’t reasonably expect to compete without a QB

Then you are saying you don’t value fixing the QB issue.
Having a qb and not having a second or next years 1 is better than not having a qb and having those picks. Because you can’t reasonably expect to compete without a QB
But if you pick the wrong QB then you have No QB, No 2nd and No 1st next year. IF you're going to do this you HAVE to be right.

But if you pick the wrong QB then you have No QB, No 2nd and No 1st next year. IF you're going to do this you HAVE to be right.
You don't get guarantees of that sort in pro sports.

If you don’t pick a QB you have no QB

The accountability is on the team to spend the resources commensurate with the most important position on the field to get the best guy they can and if that guy is a draft choice, coach him up.

With 70 mill in cap room and a # 15 pick if all we can devote to the most important positron on the field is signing a qb no one else wants for 3.5 mill and drafting a long shot in day 2, we blew it.
It doesn’t much matter what you do with those resources if the end result is having the worst QB room in the nfl when QB is by far the most important position.

Had we addressed it a different way, it wouldn’t be IMPERATIVE that we use whatever draft resources it takes.

you can eliminate doing anything if you say it’s bad idea if your decision fails.

If you don’t pick a QB you have no QB

The accountability is on the team to spend the resources commensurate with the most important position on the field to get the best guy they can and if that guy is a draft choice, coach him up.

With 70 mill in cap room and a # 15 pick if all we can devote to the most important positron on the field is signing a qb no one else wants for 3.5 mill and drafting a long shot in day 2, we blew it.
It doesn’t much matter what you do with those resources if the end result is having the worst QB room in the nfl when QB is by far the most important position.

Had we addressed it a different way, it wouldn’t be IMPERATIVE that we use whatever draft resources it takes.

you can eliminate doing anything if you say it’s bad idea if your decision fails.
My point was that we CAN get that QB, but do it by being smart and not giving up too much. I guess we'll find out in a few hours(maybe) if a trade happens, but in the past teams haven't had to give up THAT much to get up to a spot(Chiefs/Bills trade for example). IF we trade up to 4, it would likely cost too much, but to 7 or 8 a 1st next year isn't an absolute necessity. I'm IN for getting our future QB tonight, I just won't trade away a future 1 unless is for Rodgers from GB.

True although it's all about the balance of risk. We know that a significant % of top picks will be busts Even with all the due diligence, coaching and development in the world not all players work out. The talk of if we love this guy or that guy then no price is too high doesn't factor that no matter how much we love whoever it may be there is no guarantee he will work so it's a big risk giving up the farm. I'm not saying don't trade up but the price has to be right and it's not worth doing at any cost.

My point was that we CAN get that QB, but do it by being smart and not giving up too much. I guess we'll find out in a few hours(maybe) if a trade happens, but in the past teams haven't had to give up THAT much to get up to a spot(Chiefs/Bills trade for example). IF we trade up to 4, it would likely cost too much, but to 7 or 8 a 1st next year isn't an absolute necessity. I'm IN for getting our future QB tonight, I just won't trade away a future 1 unless is for Rodgers from GB.
If you get the guy it doesn’t matter how much you traded. 2 1s to fix the QBs problem is a small price.

True although it's all about the balance of risk. We know that a significant % of top picks will be busts Even with all the due diligence, coaching and development in the world not all players work out. The talk of if we love this guy or that guy then no price is too high doesn't factor that no matter how much we love whoever it may be there is no guarantee he will work so it's a big risk giving up the farm. I'm not saying don't trade up but the price has to be right and it's not worth doing at any cost.
Well that amounts to picks are risky so hang onto to those picks. If the pick you trade up for is too risky, the ones you would have kept are riskier.
It’s like saying don’t hit 16 when the dealer has a face card up. Fear of doing the wrong think paralyzes you from doing the right thing.
16 vs a face card is a losing hand, but hitting it improves you chances of winning.
Cam Newton as your qb is a losing hand and the only way you get better is taking the risk needed to replace him.

However the spending in free agency did away with a majority of our immediate needs. That leaves us with 10 draft picks this year and realistically 5 spots open. So it really makes sense to package them together and move up. Or into 2022. But I am keeping my fingers crossed we will move up and grab a qb!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes