PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to expect in the Post-Brady era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but what does that get you? Stidham needs to show you some quality franchise QB play otherwise it will feel like wasted season.
Was just responding to “8-8 is the ceiling” comment with facts.

This team needs do what it can do to win. A lot of how that looks depends on where the QB is. I’m sure there will be some strengths they can leverage but if it’s winning by putting as little in the QBs shoulders as possible they can do that to an extent.

As someone put it, 2006 Brady took whatever the defense gave him.

2007 Brady took pretty much whatever he wanted.
Not so sure about your last line.
I rewatched the 2007 regular season game @ Miami (I attended) in which NE and Brady just throttled the Fish.... game over in 1st half.
Note: coming into this game the National media was accusing NE of running up scores.

Brady started off something like 12 for 12 and was putting the ball in receivers hands within micro-inches of perfect placement.
Pitch and catch, mostly mid range passes, to wide open (a giant understatement) pass catchers. Five yards of space was the norm. At first, you wondered, “Miami is a shambles, so confused, are they this inept?”
Then Brady gets kocky and chucks a bomb into the end zone....an under thrown rainbow to Moss in quadruple coverage.
Ah ha.....so there are all the missing defenders, draped all over Randy Moss.
99 out of 100 times the pass gets broken up and more than likely picked off
But Randy just calmly reached above the swarm and takes the ball away from the awaiting fishies.
Soon after, Brady feels invincible again, another late, under thrown end zone bomb into a swarm of Fish and again Moss snares what should have been a certain INT. His one-armed catch was spectacular
My point.... Moss’s presence and ability ruled that day, despite only have 3(?) catches on the day.
Brady statistically was near perfect because Moss rightfully scared the crap out of Miami all afternoon

Tom was really good too

The Patriots still have the best Head Coach, the best OC, and best DC (father and son) in the AFCE. Barring injuries, their defense will still be the best D in the division although Buffalo will challenge that.

And, now the thing that’s going to blow the minds of most Patriot fans and definitely fans of the other teams in the division, the Patriots, by mid season, are going to have the best QB in the AFCE. C’mon folks. You’ve seen Josh Allen air mail pass after pass, we’ve watched Sam “I’m seeing ghosts” Darnold throw it up for grabs way too many times, and Tua will be a 6’0” QB with a lot of hype plus bad ankles and hip and coached by Chan Gailey. Stidham is going to be better than all of them.

Belichick is not perfect, and his game will diminish as he ages. But, as long as he’s in the building and somewhat on his game, Patriots will be perennial contenders to go deep into the playoffs and get to the Super Bowl. It will be more like the 2005 to 2013 stretch than the 2001 to 2004 and 2014 to 2019 dynasties, but we’ve got some darn good days ahead as Patriots fans.

Untalented offense, unproven mediocre QB. Poor drafting. Get ready for non playoff years folks
crying_baby.jpg

Stidham should be at least as good as Matt cassel was. Hope he isn't Ryan Mallett.

Stidham should be at least as good as Matt cassel was. Hope he isn't Ryan Mallett.

If he were Mallett in the classroom or practice field we would have drafted a QB already.

Let's assume that's true. Do you think the team - especially the offense - surrounding Stidham is as talented as the one Cassel had to work with?

What to expect ? A lot of entitled fans who have never cheered for the MTL Expos and it shows...

The pats were jobbed out of taking the superbowl champs to OT with ferentz playing center & a bottom 5 passing game in the second half of the season.

QB & pass catcher play will determine their upside. People are underestimating what floor the defense, OL & coaching will provide.

And Stidham will never ever be Tom Brady. I don’t consider him a good NFL starter at all.

And no doubt you had Brady pegged as potentially the GOAT in 2000. :rolleyes:
Whatever comes next is whatever comes next but that its time has come there can be no doubt. I can guarantee you one thing, plenty of us have survived worse as Pats fans. You will too, so buck up buttercup

And no doubt you had Brady pegged as potentially the GOAT in 2000. :rolleyes:
Whatever comes next is whatever comes next but that its time has come there can be no doubt. I can guarantee you one thing, plenty of us have survived worse as Pats fans. You will too, so buck up buttercup

There didn’t have to be survival years if belichick got better hauls on trade returns, drafted much better, and didn’t piss off his two superstars. But hey, belichick is beyond approach. He walks on water here.

We were a .500 team the second half of last year with a schedule with 4 playoff teams on it with a passing game that completed 55% of passes for less than 6 ypa a <80 qb rating and scoring less than 20 ppg (17 vs the playoff teams). Surely we won’t be that bad all year no matter who the qb is. I’d call 8-8 the floor.
Disagree. If Stidham is good and Belichick pulls an amazing rabbit out of his hat they could potentially go 9-7 but that would require some brilliant coaching, surprising QB play and a lot of luck. The floor is 5-11 if things go bad, which is quite possible.

A lot of this comes down to Stidham but even if he is pretty good he has his work cut out for him with the options he has to work with. Hopefully at least one of the TE's is good. That could lessen the pressure on James White and maybe give Stiddy the option to dump off and get some nice catch and runs from White.

There didn’t have to be survival years if belichick got better hauls on trade returns, drafted much better, and didn’t piss off his two superstars. But hey, belichick is beyond approach. He walks on water here.

BB isn't perfect but considering the pelts he has on the wall he has certainly earned the benefit of a doubt. But hey, don't let the door hit you on the way out just leave the lights on for those of us that have always been here.

Losses

More losses

Since 93.

2001 patriots? The NFL was a lot different 19 years ago. And Stidham will never ever be Tom Brady. I don’t consider him a good NFL starter at all.

Nobody can possibly know how good Stidham is as a starter until he plays meaningful games.

I dont think being a lot better than 2019 Brady was is that difficult.

BB isn't perfect but considering the pelts he has on the wall he has certainly earned the benefit of a doubt. But hey, don't let the door hit you on the way out just leave the lights on for those of us that have always been here.

I was a fan well before Brady or BB but hey nice try keep going with that one

I don’t care about Brady, I don’t care about belichick. I care about the patriots. I like our defense but I think our offense is absolute garbage and severely lacking in talent

I hope they have a plan at WR because BB will certainly
drown with the Talent at WR in 2020 baring a miracle late Rounder or UDFA @ WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe