PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is wrong with Jacoby Brissett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will have a completely different skill set if he ever gets close to Brady's level. Despite his long throwing motion, I've been impressed by his deep ball, strength and mobility. If he ever took over, offensive schemes would undoubtedly change.

That said, an aggressive Rex Ryan defense isn't the easiest task for an injured rookie qb starting his second game. Quick reads are important against Rex, and Jacoby just isn't there yet. Big deal.

He could be real good but Jimmy G is a much higher level QB than JB will ever imagine being. My not so humble opinion of course.

Link
Patriots Reportedly 'Putting Pressure' On Jimmy Garoppolo To 'Be Ready As Quickly As Possible'

By all reports the team was trying to get him to play even the Texans game and he couldn't do it. If it was that serious they wouldn't have done so.By all media reports - and they mentioned this again on WEEI the other day - the team was not thrilled at the fact he was not able to go.

It's reasonable to think Brady could have played through such a thing especially after a week rest and as we know he's played through all kinds of injuries.
Those "media reports" you're citing are vague as vague can be. So, let's assume the team was "not thrilled" Garoppolo couldn't go vs. Buffalo. I'll bet Garoppolo was even MORE disappointed; as I recall, he wanted to go but couldn't. You're breathlessly pushing this belief that JG isn't very tough and therefore overrated because he didn't play two weeks after tearing a ligament in his throwing shoulder. I think you're full of it.

Yeah and why did the Patriots draft Garapolo in the 2nd round, WTF..what a waste
2nd round is quite high by Pats standard. i mean, look where they draft brady? ;)

I've been saying all along both Brady and Jimmy will be traded and Brissett will start in the Thursday Night opener.

I love his ethic and intangibles. He's clearly a good scrambler too.

However, he needs to work on his passes. That's all I'm saying

He could be real good but Jimmy G is a much higher level QB than JB will ever imagine being. My not so humble opinion of course.
Holy hell dude, how good do you think JG is?!

Apparently, some in the Patriots don't think Jacoby's ready to take over the reins if Brady goes down (at least now).... hence, their hesistancy to deal Garoppolo for anything less than the right price

And for what it's worth, I don't think reports like these are just a smokescreen to drive up Garoppolo's asking price

Yup, because all the rumors of the Patriots' intentions keep turning out to be so accurate...

Well BB felt it was worthwhile to not put Jacoby on season ending IR and reactivate him late in the season.

He also took him on EVERY road game something he had NEVER done for any other injured player.

Yup BB obovously thinks Jacoby is just a scrub career backup.

BTW watch how his teammates reacted to him on the sidelines during the games and no excuses when he played injured.

Those "media reports" you're citing are vague as vague can be. So, let's assume the team was "not thrilled" Garoppolo couldn't go vs. Buffalo. I'll bet Garoppolo was even MORE disappointed; as I recall, he wanted to go but couldn't. You're breathlessly pushing this belief that JG isn't very tough and therefore overrated because he didn't play two weeks after tearing a ligament in his throwing shoulder. I think you're full of it.

I'm sure he was disappointed. Not saying he wasn't. But I bet Brady would have played if the team needed him. Especially if he knew his services would likely not be required past game 4.

I also never used the word overrated, although some of the talk around here that he's the next Brady after not even 90 minutes of very good but less than amazing meaningful football against two not-so-great teams is kind of hilarious.

I hear what you are saying, but do you think the Patriots intended on playing a QB who required surgery in his thumb and couldn't throw the ball? Clearly not. I think sb1 is reading between the lines. The reports at the time said it was a matter of pain tolerance. The Pats, right or wrong, appeared to be pressuring Jimmy to play and were likely disappointed when he decided he couldn't.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Is the asnwer - He is not Danny Amendola?

Well BB felt it was worthwhile to not put Jacoby on season ending IR and reactivate him late in the season.

He also took him on EVERY road game something he had NEVER done for any other injured player.

Yup BB obovously thinks Jacoby is just a scrub career backup.

BTW watch how his teammates reacted to him on the sidelines during the games and no excuses when he played injured.

They used a roster spot on him at the end of the year. Why?
Because they felt they needed a 3rd string QB? No
Because they wanted to see more of him to decide if he would be ready to be the backup in 2017? Maybe, but I doubt it.
Because they wanted hin to get more reps to prepare to be the backup in 2017? That's my guess.

Again with the "accuracy" stuff...LOOK AT HIS STATS!

Don't need to look at stats I saw him play in 1 nfl game with a very limited playbook as well as all his acc college games.

If people think he was rough around the edges in the buffalo game, then look at just about any of his college games and try not to cringe!

I hear what you are saying, but do you think the Patriots intended on playing a QB who required surgery in his thumb and couldn't throw the ball? Clearly not. I think sb1 is reading between the lines. The reports at the time said it was a matter of pain tolerance. The Pats, right or wrong, appeared to be pressuring Jimmy to play and were likely disappointed when he decided he couldn't.
I don't know when it was determined that Brissett needed surgery on his thumb, it could have been AFTER the Buffalo game. I also recall those "reports" that JG going was all about pain tolerance, but nothing to that effect was confirmed by the team. Ditto for the team "apearing to pressure him" into playing. It makes sense to me that a quarterback who tears a ligament in his throwing shoulder might not be too effective two weeks after the injury, and that even with a bad thumb Brissett was more capable of running the offense that day.

I'm sure he was disappointed. Not saying he wasn't. But I bet Brady would have played if the team needed him. Especially if he knew his services would likely not be required past game 4. I also never used the word overrated, although some of the talk around here that he's the next Brady after not even 90 minutes of very good but less than amazing meaningful football against two not-so-great teams is kind of hilarious.
You are continuing to suggest that Garoppolo was able to play vs. Buffalo when the very fact he didn't indicates otherwise.

I don't know when it was determined that Brissett needed surgery on his thumb, it could have been AFTER the Buffalo game. I also recall those "reports" that JG going was all about pain tolerance, but nothing to that effect was confirmed by the team. Ditto for the team "apearing to pressure him" into playing. It makes sense to me that a quarterback who tears a ligament in his throwing shoulder might not be too effective two weeks after the injury, and that even with a bad thumb Brissett was more capable of running the offense that day.

You are continuing to suggest that Garoppolo was able to play vs. Buffalo when the very fact he didn't indicates otherwise.

Sorry, but it was known he needed surgery before he played that game. Who would you rather play? A guy who can't throw a ball because of torn ligaments on the thumb of his throwing hand or a guy dealing with pain. The Patriots coaching staff made it clear how they felt. They wanted Garroppolo to tough it out. All of this was all over the news that week leading up to that game.

The last time I saw a healthy Brissett, I saw a smart, confident and capable athlete with a strong arm and decent accuracy, but a guy who'd need significant work on his mechanics, footwork and diagnostic speed to become a consistently competitive NFL QB.

But that was almost six months ago.

I probably won't see Brissett play again for another almost five months. I have no reason to believe that he won't have improved by then, especially with the Pats coaching staff and Brady supporting his development.

Sorry, but it was known he needed surgery before he played that game. Who would you rather play? A guy who can't throw a ball because of torn ligaments on the thumb of his throwing hand or a guy dealing with pain. The Patriots coaching staff made it clear how they felt. They wanted Garroppolo to tough it out. All of this was all over the news that week leading up to that game.
Please identify for me the coach or team official who went on record "making it clear" saying "they wanted Garoppolo to tough it out" vs. Buffalo. All I recall is unconfirmed media speculation.

Also, please share a link to information released PRIOR to the Buffalo game confirming Brissett's need for surgery. I follow this team closely and never saw that.

I love the irony of some who judge both back ups after two games and come to historically different perspectives.

JG after two games and in his third year = "Twice as good as Brady was in his third year" or " The next Aaron Rodgers" or "the next franchise QB"

Brissett after two games (one with a busted thumb) and his rookie year = "The guy just doesn't' have it" or "He'll never replace TB"

Magic eight balls for everyone.

I love the irony of some who judge both back ups after two games and come to historically different perspectives.

JG after two games and in his third year = "Twice as good as Brady was in his third year" or " The next Aaron Rodgers" or "the next franchise QB"

Brissett after two games (one with a busted thumb) and his rookie year = "The guy just doesn't' have it" or "He'll never replace TB"

Magic eight balls for everyone.
It helps to also have watched them in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST