PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is wrong with Jacoby Brissett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a project when the Patriots drafted him. Give him 3 years to develop and lets see where he ends up. I liked what I saw from him in limited action.

Yes I know he is a project. However I don't think he will work out. I think he has non-fixable issues. He accurary is iffy and that is not easily fixed. I don't think he sees the field well and that is not easily fixed. I would be much more upbeat if his limitations were physical and not mental which i think they are.

Some guys just don't have it. I think he doesn't have it.

I wonder what someone would call the opposite of a binky, because that's what Garoppolo seems to you. He didn't play vs. Buffalo because he was injured. Reports were that he expected to play, wanted to play, but just couldn't go after testing his arm pre-game.

That didn't irk me so much at the time but the more I think about it the more it does. Especially since I know Brady would have played if that were him. Maybe I'm taking a tough as nails QB like TB for granted. He put the team in a really bad spot instead of toughing it out. IIRC the team wasn't all that pleased either.

We don't know for sure how hurt he really was but it's hard not to wonder how tough he really is or whether he was as injured as was advertised.

Yes I know he is a project. However I don't think he will work out. I think he has non-fixable issues. He accurary is iffy and that is not easily fixed. I don't think he sees the field well and that is not easily fixed. I would be much more upbeat if his limitations were physical and not mental which i think they are.

Some guys just don't have it. I think he doesn't have it.

How can you question his accuracy? He was pretty accurate in preseason...and not too bad against a very good Texan defense..compared to Brady he was more accurate.

He is green as Augusta grass. He is not a great decision maker. He is not an accurate passer. He can not read nfl defenses.

I could go on but you get the pount. Maybe in three years he will be a barely competent backup, but it looks like he has a low ceiling.

That didn't irk me so much at the time but the more I think about it the more it does. Especially since I know Brady would have played if that were him. Maybe I'm taking a tough as nails QB like TB for granted. He put the team in a really bad spot instead of toughing it out. IIRC the team wasn't all that pleased either.

We don't know for sure how hurt he really was but it's hard not to wonder how tough he really is or whether he was as injured as was advertised.

I agree with you. It certainly seemed as though the team was putting a lot of pressure on him to play that week.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
He is green as Augusta grass. He is not a great decision maker. He is not an accurate passer. He can not read nfl defenses.

I could go on but you get the pount. Maybe in three years he will be a barely competent backup, but it looks like he has a low ceiling.

Again with the "accuracy" stuff...LOOK AT HIS STATS!

It really is true.

Even the most fortunate fanbase in sports has a large contingent of negative clowns who insist on looking for the gray lining in every silver cloud.

You think Brady was the finished product in his first season?

Jesus H Christ.

In the preseason and the two and a half games he played, I think he played a different offensive system.
I think the Patriots loved his intangibles - he certainly wasn't the most accurate passer in college. He presents himself as a great leader, and seems to share some of the intangibles the Patriots admire. Tough, hard working, coachable.

The big question is whether he can transform himself into a player that can run the Patriots system - someone who can read the defense, find the weakness, adjust the play call, move in the pocket, find the open player, and drive a quick release and accurate pass. That is really hard to know. First of all it depends upon a LOT of field time. Tom Brady did not run the Patriots offense when he first took the field either.

That didn't irk me so much at the time but the more I think about it the more it does. Especially since I know Brady would have played if that were him. Maybe I'm taking a tough as nails QB like TB for granted. He put the team in a really bad spot instead of toughing it out. IIRC the team wasn't all that pleased either. We don't know for sure how hurt he really was but it's hard not to wonder how tough he really is or whether he was as injured as was advertised.
How do you know Brady would've played with the same injury? How do you know Garoppolo was physically capable of playing in that game? What team source said they weren't pleased? This is nonsense. He had a freaking TORN LIGAMENT in this throwing shoulder.

Link: Garoppolo has Grade 2 AC joint injury; has difficulty raising arm

I guess you missed the Buffalo game.

I saw it. Showed the kid is one hell of a tough kid and a baller. The kid was playing with a torn ligament in his throwing thumb and had surgery a day or two later. May never turn into a starting QB, but the kid got tons of heart.

Some people are stupidly writing Brissett off as much as some people are stupidly are anointing Garoppolo as a top QB based off of way too small sample sizes.

When the Pats drafted Brissett, it was known that he was raw and would need several years to work on his form and skills. He played better than people expected against Miami and Houston and played injured against the Bills. Anyone drawing any conclusions on the guy based on those two games and the preseason are just clueless.

Talk to me about Brissett in a year or two when he works on his mechanics.

Last edited:
I think the biggest thing is that his name is Jacoby. How many Jacobys have ever been good NFL quarterbacks?

To be fair, they pretty much got wiped out at Culloden Moor 370 years ago...

It really is true.

Even the most fortunate fanbase in sports has a large contingent of negative clowns who insist on looking for the gray lining in every silver cloud.

You think Brady was the finished product in his first season?

Jesus H Christ.
I'm amused that all the same people who claim loudly that we can't possibly know if JG is any good or not after THREE FULL YEARS in the league are also apparently confident that JB is the next big thing.

Some of these posts must be sarcastic or can somehow tell they future.

I saw a rookie who made good decisions and was poised. Everything else he can learn. He can be our future.

So Bill Parcells worked with him, told BB about him, and BB seems to like him a lot.

But people here have seen him play a couple of preseason games and two NFL games (one with a messed up finger on his throwing hand) and they've got all of his mechanics sorted, know his ceiling, dismiss him, etc.?

Dunning-Kruger effect ain't just for politics, seems...

How do you know Brady would've played with the same injury? How do you know Garoppolo was physically capable of playing in that game? What team source said they weren't pleased? This is nonsense. He had a freaking TORN LIGAMENT in this throwing shoulder.

Link: Garoppolo has Grade 2 AC joint injury; has difficulty raising arm

Link
Patriots Reportedly 'Putting Pressure' On Jimmy Garoppolo To 'Be Ready As Quickly As Possible'

By all reports the team was trying to get him to play even the Texans game and he couldn't do it. If it was that serious they wouldn't have done so.By all media reports - and they mentioned this again on WEEI the other day - the team was not thrilled at the fact he was not able to go.

It's reasonable to think Brady could have played through such a thing especially after a week rest and as we know he's played through all kinds of injuries.

Why is everyone dismissing the possibility that the Patriots could view Brissett as a long-term replacement for Brady?

When he was healthy and had a game plan designed for him in the Texans game I thought he showed well and he did so against the #1 defense in the NFL.
That Houston offensive gameplan was some variation of what every high school in the Bay State League ran in 1992....

I guess you missed the Buffalo game.
His thumb on the throwing hand was hurt, though? What was he supposed to do?

I don't know if he is a potential starter in the league or not, but criticizing that game is a bit unfair, especially considering ST's was dog sh*t that game and, if memory serves, there werea lot of penalties.

Apparently, some in the Patriots don't think Jacoby's ready to take over the reins if Brady goes down (at least now).... hence, their hesistancy to deal Garoppolo for anything less than the right price

And for what it's worth, I don't think reports like these are just a smokescreen to drive up Garoppolo's asking price

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe