PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is wrong with coaches in AFC title games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soliel

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
for several years now, each time we play the AFCCG. Somewhere during the game, a blatant penalty will occur. Example- jags push cooks out of bounds on a pass play. The chiefs line up a yard off sides. Etc

Now, a strange thing is happening. In these coaches minds, calls like that should not be made because it’s the championship.

This is convolluted and asinine. What the rules are, still apply in all games. Andy Reid seems to think rules shouldn’t apply in the final four. I disagree. I think rules are more important in those games. Look at the Rams vs Saints game. I wouldn’t even want to win like that

Last edited:
Did Andy Reid tell Ford to line up offisides? I think that’s just on the player no?
I think the OP point isn't that the penalty is the coaches fault, instead it is the whining and complaining of penalty after the game by the losing coach.

BB never once complained about the BS face guard penalty Ellis Hobbs got in the AFC championship game against the 06 colts. Do a better job coaching and executing plays so 1 bad call doesn't cost you the game.

Did Andy Reid tell Ford to line up offisides? I think that’s just on the player no?
No but maybe he should have coached his players to be more disciplined. Instead he blames the refs fo throwing a flag. Now I ask, what have his players learned from that?

tumblr_ob73huZDMX1tvua8uo5_500.gif

Sure but Reid’s press conference afterwards. He cried for five minutes about calls in a championship game. That’s the point of this post really. I can not understand why Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and Kansas City have all cried foul on the refs as though penalty shouldn’t be enforced

In these coaches minds, calls like that should not be made against them because it’s the championship.

Fixed. If there were no calls in the Pats favor they would ***** just as hard. Sean Payton and the Saints still haven't shut up about the no call against the Rams. Imagine if that play had been with the Pats.

To be as charitable as possible, any interview given minutes after losing the biggest game of the year and blowing a year's worth of work might contain some emotionally hot and not well-thought out statements reeking of frustration and desperation.

Not everyone can just repeat "we're on to Cincinnati" twenty times to make sure no one has a chance to catch him making excuses or fielding blame.

That's my charitable take. My other take is they are all bunch of weepy, excuse-making babies who are sore losers and should call the Whaaambulance and have some cheese with their whine.

Everyone looks for reasons for a failure. Sometimes, reasons become excuses, and sometimes it just seems like it to the external parties. "We lost because the refs blow the P.I. call" is a perfectly valid thing for the Saints to say, and it is the reason they lost that game. On the other hand, despite its obvious truth, it will be viewed as an excuse by many no matter what and, if it's not said in just the right way, it will be viewed as an excuse by many more.

Reid was obviously in excuse territory, and I'd guess that he felt a bit foolish about that when he looked back upon his comments.

Fixed. If there were no calls in the Pats favor they would ***** just as hard. Sean Payton and the Saints still haven't shut up about the no call against the Rams. Imagine if that play had been with the Pats.

To be fair, given everything the NFL has said about player safety, for them to completely miss that—as a helmet-to-helmet hit—was inexcusable. Let alone the PI part.

To be fair, given everything the NFL has said about player safety, for them to completely miss that—as a helmet-to-helmet hit—was inexcusable. Let alone the PI part.

It's an awful no call(s). My point was/is if Flowers was a half yard offsides and the zebras didn't throw a flag Reid would be losing his sh!t. So saying you shouldn't call that because of when it was is disingenuous. And KC got got every OPI/DPI call their way in that game on both sides of the ball.

The Saints had chances. Plenty. They got FGs instead of TDS early and they had the ball first in OT.

Crybabies. BB would never be like that. “We lost” , “we weren’t good enough”.

That's ridiculous.

Dude I seriously thought you were drunk and typing coaches when you meant to type refs.

The Saints had chances. Plenty. They got FGs instead of TDS early and they had the ball first in OT.

Crybabies. BB would never be like that. “We lost” , “we weren’t good enough”.

That's ridiculous.

Hmmm...

1. The Saints DID have plenty of chances.
2. They DID settle for FGs early.
3. They DID have the ball first in OT.
4. "Crybabies". Not the word I'd use. It was a blatant foul that should have been called. However, they DID seem to focus on that play afterwards, rather than other areas where they came up short. So maybe that's a push.
5. BB would never (complain about a call)... well, that is true, at least to the media or that we'd know about.
6. And he WOULD say things like "we weren't good enough", or more likely "bad coaching, bad playing..."

So which part is ridiculous? Number 4, I guess ? Other than that, brother...

tenor.gif

...I'm not seeing it. o_O

The thing is, half of the Patriots success is they make fewer mental mistakes than other teams. That is solely a credit to our head coach, for whom that is one of the most important aspects of winning football.

We frequently win because the other team screwed up, both in the regular season and in the postseason. To the OP's point (which I inferred after reading it a few times), in the regular season I think that the opposing coaches are more likely to acknowledge that mistake and move on. You don't see that level of complaining in a regular season loss.

However in the postseason, no head coach wants to admit that a mental mistake cost his team the game, because it's a reflection on that coach (just as lack of mistakes is a reflection on BB). They also don't want to blame the player, which I can respect. So they go to the easiest target, who can't really fight back: the refs. Fans are all likely to accept that too, because it's traditional for fans to blame the refs when they lose. It's insane how many people were defending Dee Ford for lining up offsides and saying that the ref should have told him, or some nonsense.

However the OP puts forth a small sample size so I'm not really sure this is a trend. We beat plenty of teams in the playoffs where the coach took it like a man; McVay comes to mind.

At Auburn, Ford used to push the limits of the neutral zone and time snaps trying to gain a step and make a name as a pass rusher...Reid should have coached it out of him.

Hmmm...

1. The Saints DID have plenty of chances.
2. They DID settle for FGs early.
3. They DID have the ball first in OT.
4. "Crybabies". Not the word I'd use. It was a blatant foul that should have been called. However, they DID seem to focus on that play afterwards, rather than other areas where they came up short. So maybe that's a push.
5. BB would never (complain about a call)... well, that is true, at least to the media or that we'd know about.
6. And he WOULD say things like "we weren't good enough", or more likely "bad coaching, bad playing..."

So which part is ridiculous? Number 4, I guess ? Other than that, brother...

tenor.gif

...I'm not seeing it. o_O

Every team makes mistakes. The notion that a FG settled for at time "A", or subsequent failure, somehow overrides one of the most obvious end game officiating misses in NFL history is pure stupidity. If that call is made, the Saints let the clock run down and kick the game winning FG. The game is over.

And Patriots fans know this, because we've seen the Patriots victimized by it too. The non-call in that Panthers game is a great example of it.

Every team makes mistakes. The notion that a FG settled for at time "A", or subsequent failure, somehow overrides one of the most obvious end game officiating misses in NFL history is pure stupidity. If that call is made, the Saints let the clock run down and kick the game winning FG. The game is over.

And Patriots fans know this, because we've seen the Patriots victimized by it too. The non-call in that Panthers game is a great example of it.
Winner win and losers make excuses. The Saints had ample ops to win that game and make the bad call a non-issue.

I don’t blame a loss to the Panthers on refs’ calls. They should have executed at times they didn’t.

Winner win and losers make excuses. The Saints had ample ops to win that game and make the bad call a non-issue.

I don’t blame a loss to the Panthers on refs’ calls. They should have executed at times they didn’t.

100% agree. And yet, both of us are stupid! Go figure. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back