PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is BB's biggest mistake as head coach/GM of Patriots?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is BB's single biggest mistake as Patriot's Head Coach/GM?

• Total voters
I noticed this was closed but I'll open it back up since there are quite a few good points in here.

Umm, he was HORRIBLE. 3 ints in 2007, one in the end zone and they finally had Laura Maroney bail him out with mostly all runs in the 4th quarter, ending up with 22 carries for 122 yards to save the day along with the D.

How can you sit there and lie about how bad he was? He was pretty bad vs GB in January as well with 3 more INTs, but Rodgers was thinking about himself and GB's offense sucked worse.

Brady thought throwing more into the teeth of a phyiscal D was the solution to scoring more points. He was wrong. Thankfully, the drafting of JimmyG rectified the shotgun spread offense and lack of a run game that Brady thought he didn't need. Voila, BB builds another dynasty after years of Brady wanting a Manning offense.

This post is 100% crazy talk. I hate to say it man but you need to be directing your anger not at Tom Brady but at mcd....

This post is 100% crazy talk. I hate to say it man but you need to be directing your anger not at Tom Brady but at mcd....

I used to do that, too. Then I realized Brady has a lot of power and fully autonomy at the line and multiple plays called into his headset, while helping create gameplans with BB and McD. He's as much to blame in games that went south as either of those two. You can't remove 100% responsibility from the HOF QB when that QB screws up. That's childish.

McD is the easy scapegoat and he certainly needs some of the blame, but it's clear it was Brady as much as anyone who wanted to move to that style offense in 2006/2007. BB wouldn't have chosen Brady over McD if what you are saying is true.

Very telling McD is still here after Belchick refused to extend Brady "until 45". I blame McDaniels for bringing in Tebow in 2013 or pretending Newton was a good option last year, sure. He has a fixation on gadget QBs, which is weird, since he's never really had success with one.

I don't really have any anger either. These are just facts that people either forgot about or glossed over in order to protect Brady's reputation in their heads. He wasn't good in the 2007 and 2011 postseasons vs the better defenses. Why he wanted to be Peyton Manning in January is beyond me.

Last edited:
If Brady ends up winning MVP I think we can definitively say that moving on from Brady was an unmitigated disaster. He only wanted a 2 year deal and BB wanted to go year to year since his assessment of Brady's 2nd year contract demand (2021 year, current year) was that Brady would collapse. If instead Brady is having an MVP type year, it just tells you BB royally ****ed up in his assessment. Brady was worth the money he was asking and then some. We could have had him for $50m for 2 years. Instead we offered $23m for 1. Even after last year's run for Brady everyone was saying that the Bucs will now suffer having offered him a multiyear deal which BB refused to. I think so far this season is showing that we can stop debating this and just move on. BB bungled his assessment of and market value of Brady for these last 2 years. **** happens. BB isn't god. So be it.

Let's hope Mac works well and let's move on. But no need to sugarcoat what was done. The FO can make mistakes. Our assessment of and handling of Brady was one such mistake.
Unmitigated disaster? It was the plan to move on and cut the cord. You should be thrilled Mac Jones then landed in our laps.

Belichick had enough of Brady's drama. It had been going on for years. The better question is, why on earth are these things so important to Tom Brady? Brady isn't God. Many in New England think he is, unable to even admit one flaw. He thinks he is God with his daily interviews and constant need to be in the spotlight. It's puke-inducing.

And, that lack of media accountability towards Brady is what created this. Never once did anyone in the media come down on Brady when he played poorly or made a colossal mistake in a big game. Not once. It's like those gaffes never existed.

I am as shocked as anyone. If you had told me he'd be behaving this way, like 10 years ago, I'd say he'd never go down the ego road like Manning and so many others, always craving attention to the point it makes you want to vomit. How does a man in his 40s now act like a 14 year old boy? It's just bizarre.

No one is above the team here under Belichick and I applaud Belichick for it. A big reason of NE's success is just that, as we look around in our selfish, disgusting society where everyone wants to make it about themselves. Look at how many teams import selfish ME toolbags on their teams who cause problems? They are all over the league. NO THANKS.

It's so refreshing hearing Mac Jones speak and just be all business. There's no Facebook documentaries, avacado books, hair plugs, galas, moats around his house, etc.

It's all business and I love it. Brady used to be that way, but he changed and Belichick dealt with it as long as he could. I am surprised Giselle wasn't in Belichik's office everyday whining about how mean BB is to her husband and to let him do as many commercials as he wants to keep up with Manning. Heck, maybe she was!

Unmitigated disaster? It was the plan to move on and cut the cord. You should be thrilled Mac Jones then landed in our laps.

Belichick had enough of Brady's drama. It had been going on for years. The better question is, why on earth are these things so important to Tom Brady? Brady isn't God. Many in New England think he is, unable to even admit one flaw. He thinks he is God with his daily interviews and constant need to be in the spotlight. It's puke-inducing.

And, that lack of media accountability towards Brady is what created this. Never once did anyone in the media come down on Brady when he played poorly or made a colossal mistake in a big game. Not once. It's like those gaffes never existed.

I am as shocked as anyone. If you had told me he'd be behaving this way, like 10 years ago, I'd say he'd never go down the ego road like Manning and so many others, always craving attention to the point it makes you want to vomit. How does a man in his 40s now act like a 14 year old boy? It's just bizarre.

No one is above the team here under Belichick and I applaud Belichick for it. A big reason of NE's success is just that, as we look around in our selfish, disgusting society where everyone wants to make it about themselves. Look at how many teams import selfish ME toolbags on their teams who cause problems? They are all over the league. NO THANKS.

It's so refreshing hearing Mac Jones speak and just be all business. There's no Facebook documentaries, avacado books, hair plugs, galas, moats around his house, etc.

It's all business and I love it. Brady used to be that way, but he changed and Belichick dealt with it as long as he could. I am surprised Giselle wasn't in Belichik's office everyday whining about how mean BB is to her husband and to let him do as many commercials as he wants to keep up with Manning. Heck, maybe she was!
Man, you really don't like Giselle. Did she turn you down for a date back in the day or something?

I used to do that, too. Then I realized Brady has a lot of power and fully autonomy at the line and multiple plays called into his headset, while helping create gameplans with BB and McD. He's as much to blame in games that went south as either of those two. You can't remove 100% responsibility from the HOF QB when that QB screws up. That's childish.

McD is the easy scapegoat and he certainly needs some of the blame, but it's clear it was Brady as much as anyone who wanted to move to that style offense in 2006/2007. BB wouldn't have chosen Brady over McD if what you are saying is true.

Very telling McD is still here after Belchick refused to extend Brady "until 45". I blame McDaniels for bringing in Tebow in 2013 or pretending Newton was a good option last year, sure. He has a fixation on gadget QBs, which is weird, since he's never really had success with one.

I don't really have any anger either. These are just facts that people either forgot about or glossed over in order to protect Brady's reputation in their heads. He wasn't good in the 2007 and 2011 postseasons vs the better defenses. Why he wanted to be Peyton Manning in January is beyond me.

So you're doubling down on bashing the GOAT QB, greatest ever, with 7 Superbowl rings?

Ok. NewEra everyone. Say hi to Josh for me.

No offense but your poll looks like it was built by a 14 year old.

1. Brady wasn't going to be offered a multi year deal. He may have, but his attitude changed years earlier. Brady wanted some kind of control even though he had it all with the TB12 facility and the whole thing in terms or what he'd already accomplished. I would imagine we'll hear later Kraft putting the TB12 facility on the property, meant Brady would expect more and more to satisfy his weird desire for more attention.
2. Butler had the flu, showed up late, told coaches to F Off, and then somehow cried after being told he wasn't in the starting lineup. He was unstable at that point. I don't understand how people can bring this up. Butler went off the rails and word was he faked the flu and arrived so late as contract leverage. The guy was delusional and wasn't the same after that.
3. BB gave Garoppolo a 7.5 mil 2018 contract to stay like a retainer, and since Brady and Jimmy had the same agent, Brady knew about this.
4. Lamar Jackson is not good for a future QB. I have no interest in a running back as my QB who runs play design and thinks it can be consistent.
5. Thuney, paying Flowers and Hightower instead, and 2 more rings makes this a very dumb premise.
1. Brady earned anything he wanted.
2. Butler went on to do okay after he was dumped.
3. Brady knows everything.
4. Lamar Jackson has a chance to break Manning's One&Done record.
5. Maybe it should have been 3 more rings.

That's Bedard on 98.5 radio, 10.31.17. I heard it. I don't think Bedard would make up these random stories. Garoppolo rejected it because Yee knew the landscape and knew his client was about to be a FA. So, BB wasn't in a good spot there. The word was, BB was ready to move on from Brady after 2017. Kraft got involved and altered the situation.

So, this drama goes way back. It's not that offensive because a 2nd dynasty was formed.
When Brady was drafted he told Kraft that drafting him was the best decision the team ever made.
When Brady is done he can tell Kraft that letting him go was the worst decision the team ever made.

That's only .500 and I think he's had it as high as .750 a few times.
African American Reaction GIF

How dare you post facts, reality and accurate history with context!

Lots of revisionist history regarding propping up Brady and strangely bashing the guy who drafted him, groomed him and gave him all the answers to the test across the table from him, as the greatest defensive mind the NFL has ever seen. It's amusing to me some people think BB had no influence on Brady's career.

Brady owes BB his career and millions as much as Dion Lewis, Rob Ninkovich, Edelman, Butler, Stephen Neal, or any other late rd or cast off player BB got the most out of in the last 20 years.
What about all the players that Bill drafted or picked up that never made it? How come he couldn't help them?

I keep waiting for the Jordan Richards love, but it hasn't come forward yet.

And who changed the uniforms? There MUST be some way to pin that on BB...right?

Route 1 traffic?

Zo on color commentary...that has to be up near the top three at least.

So you're doubling down on bashing the GOAT QB, greatest ever, with 7 Superbowl rings?

Ok. NewEra everyone. Say hi to Josh for me.

Well, that may be true for Brady as the GOAT, but his defenses won most of those rings for him, certainly SB 36, SB 39, SB 49, SB 53 and SB 55. There are other players on a TEAM than just the qb.

He'd have 2 more rings if he wasn't aimlessly standing in the shotgun over and over all game long in the same spot, staring down only 2 of his favorite receivers over and over without wanting to use his run game.

The last 2 SBs, his Ds allowed 9 points combined, so they certainly helped the aging QB past his prime.

That's only .500 and I think he's had it as high as .750 a few times.

Why are you acting as if the offense has been good. It hasn't been good since Brady and Gronk carried the oc. Pats offense has sucked for 2.5 years now. By the way the hottest HC candidate right now in the league is Byron Leftwich, he is an offensive genius and the Bucs look unstoppable.

Last edited:
1. not willing to see brady as not "just another one of the players on the team"...Brady stopped being just another team member a while ago, and BB thought all team members should be similar, but Brady is probably the only exception in NFL history that stance should not have been taken on, BB should have taken him under his wing as a "player-coach" and I believe brady would still be here
2. not pressuring McDaniels. i want our offensive staff to be filled with people just as good. aka o'brien. McD needs someone to also learn and grow from, as the years pass by, i see his negatives more and more rather than less and less

Why are you acting as if the offense has been good. It hasn't been good since Brady and Gronk carried the oc. Pats offense has sucked for 2.5 years now. By the way the hottest HC candidate right now in the leaghue is Byron Leftwich, he is an offensive genius and the Bucs look unstoppable.

Why are you acting like Brady didn't pout and act like a bad leader and crybaby in 2019 and there was no pandemic last year with Newton in here? Nice intentional ignorance.

Logic...is dead.

The latest missive:

"The only reason the current Patriots Offensive Coordinator was any good, at any time, was when he had Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski."

"The best Offensive Coordinator in the league right now is Byron Leftwich, but it has nothing to do with the fact he has Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski."

Logic...is dead.

The latest missive:

"The only reason the current Patriots Offensive Coordinator was any good, at any time, was when he had Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski."

"The best Offensive Coordinator in the league right now is Byron Leftwich, but it has nothing to do with the fact he has Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski."
There is a lot of this going on in the world today including with the you know group who refuse to stick a need in their arm and help society. They'll twist themselves into a mental pretzel to satisfy their narcissism, unable to admit that they're wrong.

I noticed this was closed but I'll open it back up since there are quite a few good points in here.
It's OK to change your mind.

Now will you please inform Robert Kraft of this, regarding our logo and uniforms...I feel he'll pay more attention to you than me.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back