PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is a realistic three year plan?

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Playoffs in three years seems realistic, using this year as step 1.

The bad news is we have serious holes at most offensive positions.

The good news is the every roster in the NFL has a 60-70% turnover rate over a 3 year stretch. We also have a chance to start the reset of the roster with salary cap and the draft.

My goal would be to start building anchors at key positions, QB, WR, OT and keep adding to that base. With some luck and good planning we start digging out of the hole.

How would you approach a three year rebuild?

They could be in the playoffs this season if they sign their FAs, bring in a WR in FA, draft the right QB and a couple LTs.

AND of course, if they bring in good coaches.

If they miss on a QB, they can just forget everything for awhile. All the rest doesn't matter.

If they miss on coaches and bring in a bunch of lumps, they can forget everything for 5 or 6 years.

So, the plan is either do everything right in the next 3 months, or it just doesn't matter at all.

1. 2024 will be a tough year and I expect a top 10 draft pick (and bottom 10 finish)
2. Year 2 I would hope for 9-8 and just miss the playoffs
3. Year 3 definite playoff contender, first round playoff exit
4. Year 4 serious contender for AFC championship

Of course if personnel moves are bad we could be in middle of the road purgatory for years.
We need a GM who knows what he is doing

If they can generate offense I see a playoff spot next year. Build the run game and groom that QB. Defense is really good. I think they could be very competitive by yr 3 if they make alot of right decisions but that's true of all teams

Year 1 growing pains? Have seen a bunch of rookie QBs do real well in year 1...

Year 2 playoffs. Definitely have the defense for it. No reason to believe a new look offense could not take off, late year 1, or in year 2.

Year 3 Competitive across the boards.

The good news is the every roster in the NFL has a 60-70% turnover rate over a 3 year stretch. We also have a chance to start the reset of the roster with salary cap and the draft.

My goal would be to start building anchors at key positions, QB, WR, OT and keep adding to that base. With some luck and good planning we start digging out of the hole.

The NFL is the only sport where things could turn on an instant. One year a team makes the playoffs the next they are lottery bound. I believe in our case the best way to approach is obviously getting developing correctly the QB, it's a talent driven league. The defense will always be more than good enough.. as you perfectly mentioned if we can get the skill positions up to par we will be back into contention and could suprise people. Say 8-9 next season, 10-7, and possibly 11-6 the 3rd season could be a realistic feat.

2024: lose more than 2023 due to head scratching game management issues
2025: lose slightly less than 2024 but defense starts to deteriorate
2026: lose a lot again, Mayo gets fired

I hope I’m wrong but we’re essentially the same team minus a great coach and maybe an owner that will meddle with Mayo less? It’s a bad sign that coordinators don’t want to come here. There’s a lot of work to do.

best case we're looking at 20-25 wins over the next three years. people on here do not realize the width of the chasm between this club and the top clubs in the AFC.
And the defense is 100% overrated. yes, they gave good effort, but you have to realize other teams just play conservative, risk averse offense because they know in most cases 20 points was going to beat a Bill the Bozo team.

2024: lose more than 2023 due to head scratching game management issues
2025: lose slightly less than 2024 but defense starts to deteriorate
2026: lose a lot again, Mayo gets fired

I hope I’m wrong but we’re essentially the same team minus a great coach and maybe an owner that will meddle with Mayo less? It’s a bad sign that coordinators don’t want to come here. There’s a lot of work to do.
We hope that isn't the case. It's really hard and I'm being serious, to see us offensively being WORSE than 32nd. That's what we were last season offensively. As far as coordinators it will either be someone we don't know to much about that is trying to make thier way in the NFL, or it's Josh back.
The play at the Bailey Jones QB position is the detriment.

QB round 1. Pray we hit
Rd 2 - Best WR or Tackle remaining
FA - WR and o-line

Likely miss playoffs

Round 1 - Offensive playmaker or Tackle (depending on who we hit on in 2023)

Playoffs possible

If QB choice in 2024 was the right pick we should make playoffs

QB round 1. Pray we hit
Rd 2 - Best WR or Tackle remaining
FA - WR and o-line

Likely miss playoffs

Round 1 - Offensive playmaker or Tackle (depending on who we hit on in 2023)

Playoffs possible

If QB choice in 2024 was the right pick we should make playoffs
You're showing a tremendous amount of patience for a guy with very little patience

Last edited:
You're showing a trememndous amount of patience for a guy with very little patience
With Bill for good reasons, he came in with a pedigree the expectation was for us to become a winner and we did. I think ownership is more patient than us as fans may realize.

We hope that isn't the case. It's really hard and I'm being serious, to see us offensively being WORSE than 32nd. That's what we were last season offensively. As far as coordinators it will either be someone we don't know to much about that is trying to make thier way in the NFL, or it's Josh back.
The play at the Bailey Jones QB position is the detriment.
My problem with drafting like that is every other team knows that’s what we want to do and will jump in front of us at every opportunity

My expectations are very low. I want to see a return of the basics. Above average special teams, proper tackling etc. I also want to see a physical run game. Our running attack was one of the worst we have ever had. Rhamondre's regression was damn near shocking. 1st year to accomplish those goals and then see a steady improvement from there. Not making the playoffs is not a deal breaker if we are competitive and showing positive signs.

If the third season resembles what we just witnessed with boring shutouts etc then fire him and hire an upcoming offensive coach from the college ranks with zero ties to the BB tree.

Think we can be competitive and potentially a fringe playoff team in a year or two. To start that path, this year's offseason would look something like the following.
  • Resigning; Onwenu, Bourne, Jennings, Henry, Alex Austin, Mack Wilson, Pharaoh Brown
  • Free Agents; Higgins or Pittman, Barkley or Ekeler
  • Draft: 1) Jayden Daniels, 2) LT- Jordan Morgan, Kingsley Sumataia, Patrick Paul. 3)WR Tez Walker, 4) Jaheim Bell TE
Figure out a way to get out of the following contracts; Parker, JuJu, Godchaux, JC Jackson

QB- Daniels, Vet

LT- One of the above rookies
LG- Strange, Jake Andrews, Mafi
C- Andrews
RG- Sow, Andrews
RT- Onwenu

WR- Higgins/Pittman, Tez Walker, Bourne, Pop Douglas
TE- Henry, Bell, Brown
RB- Stevenson and Ekeler

Like getting Daniels weapons that he can develop with. We'll need to continue to improve line depth, but that would be an exciting offense to watch.

Also wouldn't hate MHJ in the first and Joe Milton (Ten QB) in the 5th, with the above 2-4.

Defense we get Judon, Gonzalez, Marcus Jones back.. and should continue to be sound on that side.

We might consider that we were in contention for the playoffs with Newton and in the playoffs the next year with a rookie QB.

I suggest that we need to make our Offense as "good" as it was under Cam Newton to be competitive for the playoffs and then build from there.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back