PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is a realistic three year plan?

I thought it was to move in a different direction, yet all the same coaches are atill here. Honestly don’t know what the point about getting rid of Bill if only to be rid of the gm. What a disappointment so far.
There are two positions filled, Bill's gone not sure if you knew that and they haven't hired 90% of thew rest of the staff yet. Mayo wasn't HC last year and Covington was part of a pretty damn good D.

I like your ideas I would change and draft the QB in 2024 then keep or trade in 2025 instead of waiting until 2025 to draft one if needed. good job
Without MHJ you might not br able to elevate offense unless you ate talking about drafting qb inb2nd or 3rd round.

The NFL is the only sport where things could turn on an instant. One year a team makes the playoffs the next they are lottery bound. I believe in our case the best way to approach is obviously getting developing correctly the QB, it's a talent driven league. The defense will always be more than good enough.. as you perfectly mentioned if we can get the skill positions up to par we will be back into contention and could suprise people. Say 8-9 next season, 10-7, and possibly 11-6 the 3rd season could be a realistic feat.
Yep. Texans 3-13-1 last year and 10-7 with a playoff win this year.

Last edited:
So what would you propose to fix the line? I don't care for any of the free agent options.
Not caring for the options is not the same as counting on Love and McDermott.
==================
QUESTION
Is Anderson over his illness? Can he counted on to be our swing OT or at least our #4, needed if one of the top 3 doesn't work out?
===========
I think that we need to come out of free agency with 2 OT's, including trades. We also need to come out of free agency with our QB who would be expected to start for most of 2024. One might be Onwenu, an expensive choice for a RT. On talent, Brown is the best choice, but he's made clear that he wants out.
===========
If we are depending on our draftee to be our starting LT, then consider our 3rd gone. It needs to be used to move up to pick our LT. We would need to draft a 2nd OT in the 4th or with the pick gathered from a trade down from 3 to 4 or 5.

If we go into the season having solved the problem at OT, and with a veteran QB, then the playoffs are very possible. Of course, we need to draft our shot at the QB of the future, who might be a major upgrade over our veteran before the playoff run, or NOT.

And we rinse and repeat and do it again and again and again. That's how other teams who don't have patience do it.
I don't think it's going to be a rinse and repeat, Mayo isn't the GM, he isn't going to be held to expectations like coaches who held both titles.

year 1: tank
year 2: tank
year 3: tank

then we can see some light ... maybe ...

I would really temper expectations in year 1. The way it looks right now, almost all the key positions on the coaching staff are going to be filled with coaches with no prior experience with play calling. Even if they are super talented, it takes time for them to learn and mature. On top of that, offense personnel will have a massive shake up as well. It would also take time for new QB, receivers and Oline to gel and be productive. And that's assuming we make all the right personnel decisions, which is highly doubtful since the same front office seems to be returning. It would not be shocking to me if we end up with another top 7 pick next year, tbh

Who's the quarterback?

If it's Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe that's a 5 win schedule, until we get a serious quarterback upgrade when you have the worst quarterback in the Division you're in trouble.

Make that the worst QB in football.

Teams don’t “ tank,” only owners and GM’s. Coach’s and players get jobs and their $$$ based upon tape and results, they don’t sacrifice their careers to help franchises who have zero loyalty to get highet draft picks, some of which could replace them, fans can root for their team to lose if they suck, and need better players, but a CB doesn’t deliberately miss an interception so the team will lose and get a better draft pick.

Yep, I took a look just to re-remind myself how important an elite QB is in the NFL.

Over the past 20 years only Nick Foles and Joe Flacco have won a superbowl and won’t be in the HOF. Assumes Big Ben, Eli, Russell Wilson make the hall with Rodger’s, Brees and Brady obvious locks.

QB are bust, and if doesn’t work you try again 3-4 years later. That is basically the NFL in a nutshell.

I wouldn’t wait 3-4 years, I would keep bringing in really good QB prospects at most opportunities. It’s the most sought after position there is, and even if your QB busts teams are willing to give valuable picks to try to salvage them. Carson Wentz is a great example if this Philly gave up a ton to get him, he played really well short term, but foamed out hard. They brought in Jalen Hurts and still ended up with a 1st round pick for Wentz from Indy. And if you have built a really good team you still want your back up to be good enough to keep winning when your QB gets injured. Which is often in the NFL. It costs much less to use a 2nd round pick on a good prospect than it does to pay even a mediocre QB and lose that cap space that could have been spent on other needs. I would have absolutely no problem with the Patriots using their #3 at QB, then continuing to take day 2 QB’s each year after that. I would even use another first if I thought the prospect was good enough. Other needs can be addressed through free agency and the rest of the draft, but having the best QB room in the league is always beneficial.

I'm afraid I have to disagree also; I said it sacasticticly
CMJ is the way forward.

We know the sad history and where it all went awry. The Pats GM is watching today and he sees these teams with weapons and OLs. He knows that is where to begin rebuilding his Dynasty. The last time the Pats picked a WR in the top 10 was 1996 and he was from Ohio State too. Defense has dominated the Pats 1st round drafts for 20 + years with the occasional OL pick.

Our new GM will take Ohio WR Harry Jr @ # 3 and his jersey will sell like hotcakes. History always repeats itself.

Assuming these are the grades at which you're starting:

Offense: F
Defense: A-
Special Teams: D-

It goes without saying that we need to hit on the next 2-3 drafts at a very high level to climb out and into actual contention. Assuming above-average success in free agency and the draft (esp at QB), here's a reasonable outlook by a Sunday morning drunk:

Year 1
Draft: Offense heavy (take the QB), with at least one defensive player in rounds 3-4. Try to address OL concerns in draft and develop in system.
Free Agency: Vet QB, resign D players, sign top level WR, sign K to compete in camp
Hopeful outcome:
Offense: C
Defense: A
Special Teams: C- (completely dependent on K outcome)
Fringe playoff contender

Year 2
Draft: Balance offense and defense
Free Agency: Resign who you can on D, resign OL as appropriate
Hopeful outcome:
Offense: B
Defense: B+ (expect FA attrition to hurt us a bit)
Special Teams: C
Fringe playoff contender

Year 3 (Pats reloaded)
Draft: Impact D players, O skill positions
Free Agency: O skill positions, resign who you can on D
Hopeful outcome:
Offense: A-
Defense: A-
Special Teams: B-
Playoffs, fringe contender

I don't think it's going to be a rinse and repeat, Mayo isn't the GM, he isn't going to be held to expectations like coaches who held both titles.
That's even worse. The head guys always blame the coach and they fob the failures off on them. If they can't find a QB, they'll blame Mayo for not developing him instead of their own assessment system.

That's even worse. The head guys always blame the coach and they fob the failures off on them. If they can't find a QB, they'll blame Mayo for not developing him instead of their own assessment system.
Right, but you have to understand Bill was the HC and GM.. he asked for the title he wa paid accordingly, he set a winning foundation. The QB position was just so botched, and bad that it Ultimately could not even keep him the greatest! So I'll agree with you. If the QB doesn't work out mayo will be blamed. even though I have more faith in anyone one of these rookies than Bailey Jones . Sad...

Like the 76ers’ Process. Maybe the goal is to tank two or three years for Arch Manning. Panning for Manning! lol

best case we're looking at 20-25 wins over the next three years. people on here do not realize the width of the chasm between this club and the top clubs in the AFC.
And the defense is 100% overrated. yes, they gave good effort, but you have to realize other teams just play conservative, risk averse offense because they know in most cases 20 points was going to beat a Bill the Bozo team.
All defenses can be beat. Hence are all defenses over rated? Players win games coaches lose them. If players aren’t all in, then record will show it..you are suggesting other teams didn’t want to put up 40 plus points a game on the Pats last year because they were conservative, saving their A game for another team. That’s not how this works, that’s not how any of this works. 20 -25 wins is what Bill could have gotten over the next 3 years. So you are saying Mayo isn’t an upgrade?

My expectations are very low. I want to see a return of the basics. Above average special teams, proper tackling etc. I also want to see a physical run game. Our running attack was one of the worst we have ever had. Rhamondre's regression was damn near shocking. 1st year to accomplish those goals and then see a steady improvement from there. Not making the playoffs is not a deal breaker if we are competitive and showing positive signs.

If the third season resembles what we just witnessed with boring shutouts etc then fire him and hire an upcoming offensive coach from the college ranks with zero ties to the BB tree.
Im-Proper tackling is a disease that has spread across the league. So many high hits , then a shoulder grab, and a whip the ground. It’s atrocious

It depends upon how they approach QB. If they get a guy like Tannehill they might make a WC spot next season, provided they improve at OT and WR. If they go for a guy like Brissett they won’t make the playoffs. If they take a top 3 QB and let them sit while they fix the rest of the offense I think playoffs year 2, serious contender year 3.

If they pass on QB in the top 3 then forget about being a playoff team for the foreseeable future. They will suck for years to come.
Passing one is WAY better than picking the wrong one..

The Patriots are playing a last place schedule.

It'd be pretty embarrassing if they can't make a push for the playoffs.
Especially with a brand new coach who by all accounts is taking us back to the promised land. That’s my new nickname for him …Moses Mayo!!

All defenses can be beat. Hence are all defenses over rated? Players win games coaches lose them. If players aren’t all in, then record will show it..you are suggesting other teams didn’t want to put up 40 plus points a game on the Pats last year because they were conservative, saving their A game for another team. That’s not how this works, that’s not how any of this works. 20 -25 wins is what Bill could have gotten over the next 3 years. So you are saying Mayo isn’t an upgrade?
ok Paul Brown. I'm saying teams don't need to take risks vs a Belichick offense and therefore they score fewer points which inflates the defensive #s. Bills defense has always let teams complete short stuff all day.
As for Bill, I don't think he was winning more than 4 or 5 games a year. Now as for Mayo, who knows. He was selling health insurance products 5 years ago. Maybe he's the next Andy Reid...or maybe he's the next Mike Nolan.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back