PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happens with Lawrence Guy?

The issue is he wants a raise.

The question is do the NEP satisfy his ask.

If they do, he plays in 2023

If they don't they'll cut him and he can make his money somewhere else.
The article never states that he wants a raise and the main focus is on BB letting a player go before they no longer pay dividends.

The answer comes on 7/25 when players report to camp.

The article never states that he wants a raise and the main focus is on BB letting a player go before they no longer pay dividends.

It's common knowledge he sat out minicamp b/c of his issue w/ his deal.

I do think he has been underpaid relative to the quality of his place during his tenure in NE. If I'm the Pats, I see if he's open to a raise that is mostly in per-game roster bonuses. If he's active most or all of the year then he gets a couple extra $M. If he retires or gets hurt then he doesn't. Maybe that is a common ground they can find.

I read that it stated he wanted an alteration to his contract.. usually means more money.. so as you said we'll see by 7/25

White was drafted with the intention to eventually replace Guy and be Barmore insurance.
I think white plays over or outside the T not inside

It's common knowledge he sat out minicamp b/c of his issue w/ his deal.

Kind of weak “common knowledge” the only reference was Reiss saying “believed to be contract related”
If there was more teeth to that Reiss would be more specific than vague

This is difficult to evaluate because the contract that he signed in 2021 was so underwhelming (despite a free agent visit to Flores’ Dolphins) that I’m convinced that he failed his physical or something like that. The team clearly valued his potential contributions (hence the upside to $6M per year), but something made them limit his guarantees to $2M and link almost $16M of his potential $24M to game day active roster bonuses and playing time incentives. Have those circumstances changed to where he’s now worth more than he was then? I’m guessing no.

This is difficult to evaluate because the contract that he signed in 2021 was so underwhelming (despite a free agent visit to Flores’ Dolphins) that I’m convinced that he failed his physical or something like that. The team clearly valued his potential contributions (hence the upside to $6M per year), but something made them limit his guarantees to $2M and link almost $16M of his potential $24M to game day active roster bonuses and playing time incentives. Have those circumstances changed to where he’s now worth more than he was then? I’m guessing no.
Maybe he signed the deal thinking he'd play a more limited role. Then he got 500+ snaps last year and feels he ought to get compensated a little better if they're going to rely on him for that many snaps. Could even feel he got tricked into a lower deal (kinda like Trent Brown signing a RT contract then being flipped to LT before the ink dried).

All we have at this point is mostly conjecture.

Maybe he signed the deal thinking he'd play a more limited role. Then he got 500+ snaps last year and feels he ought to get compensated a little better if they're going to rely on him for that many snaps. Could even feel he got tricked into a lower deal (kinda like Trent Brown signing a RT contract then being flipped to LT before the ink dried).

All we have at this point is mostly conjecture.
Then he did a ****ty job negotiating incentives. That's on him

Handful of years his junior or not, can understand if Guy feels slighted after seeing Godchaux get a contract with over 3 times the AAV of his. Too late though at this point. He has multiple years left on his deal and would be 34 once it expires. Unless he miraculously morphed into Ted Washington or Keith Traylor, that’s an easy pass on adding more years and doing any business with an older DT. Move on if you must.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back