PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What does your intuition say about Shane Vereen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, call me a koolaid drinker or something, but think back to that draft.

When BB drafted a RB, I disagreed, but I could see it. When he drafted another I questioned his sanity.

But it worked out.

I guess RBs are a 50% pic and if you need one you should pick two, or something.

It's like going over a chess game of grandmasters. You see one move a bishop where it seemingly does nothing. You wonder why wasted a tempo - or move - on something so stupid. Then 10 moves later you see why the bishop had to be there.

It seemed stupid, but it worked better than you thought it would.

That is a ridiculous statement. Where would you see it translate? He hasn't been on the field.
Your gut feeling is meaningless. What you guess without any knowledge has zero value.

There is also absolutely nothing behinf this guess either

At first I thought it was just typical homer schtick, but this post has me seriously questioning your comprehension skills.

This entire thread is based on speculating and guessing. None of us have a crystal ball.

The real question is.. if you don't enjoy or find value in a discussion that involves guessing/speculating about a player, why do you feel obligated to post in it??

What makes your opinion on what topics are interesting, anymore important than the next Patsfan? Most people came into the thread, gave their opinion/guess then moved on.

Yet you and a few other usual suspects come rushing in swinging your pom-poms, trying to dictate what other people should talk about. Get over it man, your opinion is no more or less important than the next persons. Got something that interests you more?? Stop trolling and start a thread about it.

I think your thread header is VERY valid. I understand what Andy is saying but I've had this intuitive feeling about Vereen for a few weeks...it's just not something I'd voice...I'm glad you did.

I'll say this...my expectations have NOT been met in the least.What happens if he comes back next week and has a good game production wise, then gets dinged up again and is inactive the rest of the season...again...time will tell, I guess but I WANT something out of a 2nd round pick in his second season...that isn't an unreasonable desire.

How can you say 'injuries aside' then criticize him for what happened because of injuires?

Did injuries prevent him from dominating training camp and becoming either the clear cut #1 RB or the clear cut #1 3rd down back?

"I've been listening to my guts for years and I have come to the conclusion that my guts are full of ****..." John Cusak - "High Fidelity"

He has shown brief flashes of being very good. He has been injured more of the time.

I hasten to mention the feelings around here about Cunningham in the later stages of last year, or Brace for several years - compared to the hope for both of them right now.

im not sure if he will ever be that star RB that gets 1000 yards every year but i think he could be a big part in the pats RBBC system something like 120 att 500 yards and 3 TD's a year

Wasted pick, RBs are a dime a dozen.

Even if Vereen doesn't pan out (it's way to early to declare this), the 2011 RB class looks shaky anyway.

1. Mark Ingram-He looked like the JAG alot of us called him out on the forum to be, a product of the Alabama system. I'm not sure how Richardson will turn out, but Lacey will be the same as Ingram.

2. Ryan Williams-missed the entire 2011 season with an injury, behind Beanie Wells this year.

3. Shane Vereen-injury plagued rookie year, injuries to start his second year.

4. Mikel Leshoure-missed the entire 2011 season with an injury, suspended first 2 games of this year, not looking good.

5. Demarco Murray-looks like he'll be an All-Pro RB if he stays healthy.

6. Stevan Ridley-showed explosion and promise his rookie year, by far the 2nd best RB out of this class.

7. Alex Green-nothing his rookie year, behind Starks and Benson this year.

My intuition says it's too early to judge, as I really doubt Ingram, Vereen, Leshoure, and Williams will all be busts.

This is year two for him. He'll not play today. So, next week we'll be able to say, after a possible 20 game total career ( I include po's), he has 15 carries, 58 yards, and 1 TD.

So my intuition says, he'll have to increase that production more than 10 fold over the next 20 games to be worthy of his draft cost. That will be hard to do.

Last edited:
Did injuries prevent him from dominating training camp and becoming either the clear cut #1 RB or the clear cut #1 3rd down back?

Apparently so, because reports were that he was challenging Ridley for the #1 RB job before being injured

At first I thought it was just typical homer schtick, but this post has me seriously questioning your comprehension skills.

This entire thread is based on speculating and guessing. None of us have a crystal ball.
I think your own comprehension of your owns posts is lacking. You specifically addressed that you have not seen his ability 'translate' on this level.
Now, its a stupid statement to begin with, so maybe thats why you are confused, but your own words right there belie your clian that it is all about speculating and guessing.

Now, on top of that speculating and guessing is a ridiculous discussion any way, which you are now turning into an argument. You are now claiming that there is no factual basis or requirement in posting in this thread, yet you are arguing that your guess is better than someone elses?

The real question is.. if you don't enjoy or find value in a discussion that involves guessing/speculating about a player, why do you feel obligated to post in it??
Probably because it is clearly not what you are claimin g it is.

What makes your opinion on what topics are interesting, anymore important than the next Patsfan? Most people came into the thread, gave their opinion/guess then moved on.
What makes your opinion on how I choose to post any more important?
You are now arguing that you own the right to tell me how to post in this thread? Really?

Yet you and a few other usual suspects come rushing in swinging your pom-poms, trying to dictate what other people should talk about.
Ironically, it is you telling me what I should post, not the other way around. I simply called out your posting as not being what your thinly veiled pretense was implying.

Get over it man, your opinion is no more or less important than the next persons. Got something that interests you more?? Stop trolling and start a thread about it.

Again, the ultimate irony, you are doing what you incorrectly accused me of doing.

Im not sure if I commented on this topic already or not, but what the he// I'll do it again as my primary focus here...is to get up to 30,000 posts!!
I am one who had Vereen as a binky here this year. I like what I saw from him in PS. Elusiveness,great speed on outside, can catch out of backfield well,generally hit the hole quick and seemed to always get positive yards. His primary problem is NOT being able to stay on the field. If he can't get back out there quick ...someone is going to pass him by...and he's going to be an "afterthought again. I'm pulling for him..

So this thread was just a creative way to disguise a bashfest?

Vereen has a ton of ability. There is absolutely no reason to believe he will fail if he is healthy.

Not yet for sure.

Not to overstate the obvious, but all players are different, and some take more time than others. One of the best examples of that was one of my favorite Pats players, Troy Brown. It took him quite a few years to get to where he did.

All we can do is hope that Vereen turns out okay.

I'll take another Kevin Faulk right now!

I remember being on a message board arguing with Rams fans prior to the 2001 SB (I still can't think of a more overconfident group than those fans) and one of them was bragging about his team over ours by saying that we didn't have a Warner, a Faulk or a Holt. I told him Faulk you we don't, check our roster. He was one damn good player.

Last edited:
My problem with Vereen is that he hesitates before hitting the hole. That might work in college but not in the pros. That is why Ridley is so much better; he blasts through the hole without any hesitation.

I thought Vereen would have gotten over that bad habit by now but I saw it again in pre-season.

BTW was this the draft where BB overruled his scouts to pick Vereen?

My problem with Vereen is that he hesitates before hitting the hole. That might work in college but not in the pros. That is why Ridley is so much better; he blasts through the hole without any hesitation.

I thought Vereen would have gotten over that bad habit by now but I saw it again in pre-season.

BTW was this the draft where BB overruled his scouts to pick Vereen?

That's not really accurate. He doesn't hesitate when he hits the hole, when the hole isn't there he cuts back. There is a world of difference. If you want a RB who runs into a hole that isn't there,I think Ron Dayne is still out there somewhere.

That's not really accurate. He doesn't hesitate when he hits the hole, when the hole isn't there he cuts back. There is a world of difference. If you want a RB who runs into a hole that isn't there,I think Ron Dayne is still out there somewhere.

Ron Dayne was the worst ever about hesitating before he took off. Vereen has a bit of Dayne in him alas.

Apparently so, because reports were that he was challenging Ridley for the #1 RB job before being injured

Link please. I diligently followed training camp reports and saw no such thing mentioned. He got better as it went on, but at most, challenged Woodhead's change of pace/ third down role.

Link please. I diligently followed training camp reports and saw no such thing mentioned. He got better as it went on, but at most, challenged Woodhead's change of pace/ third down role.

It was widely reported on this board that the week before his injury he spent a bunch of time with the 1s.
I'm sure you can search and find it. Its a fact.

It was widely reported on this board that the week before his injury he spent a bunch of time with the 1s.
I'm sure you can search and find it. Its a fact.

There's a big difference between auditioning with the first team, as he did after the NO game, and challenging the next guy up on the depth chart. I never heard any writer ever give an inkling that Ridley's spot was in jeopardy. He's been the clear cut #1 all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back