PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do the Patriots mean to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come to relish the good times because I have been a fan in the bad times like when we won something like 6 games in 2 years in the early 90s.

I am a diehard fan who wants thier team to win but realizes it won't happen every year like some in here in unrealityville think :rolleyes:

I would rather a team takes its time to get back to level of greatness and draft great players and have to endure some natural down time than to put all my apples in one basket and go for it all in one season.

Personally I think this team is a few years from being in that position to seriously challenge for a championship,but I am willing to wait and enjoy the sport of football regardless of what we do or don't do the next few years.

Last edited:
They're a football team that I love. Actually, the only team in sports I care about. They're one of the things I enjoy most in life. However, they aren't the end-all be-all in my life nor will they ever be.

Pats mean to me that 53 other heroes exist on a roster other than the 4 on the METALLICA roster!!

*Puts up flame shield* The Patriots for me are starting to become less and less likable. I became a fan back in the late 90's. The organization is losing its "class act" factor in my opnion. My favorite players were Bruschi, Vrabel, Law, Givens, Seymour, Branch to name a few. The players I admired have, for the most part, moved on or retired. The only players left on the squad I like are Wes Welker, Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk, and Randy Moss. Besides that my opnions vary from neutral to dislike, and this draft class has brought in more players from the latter statistic.

Bruschi and Vrabel were class acts. I'll always be grateful to Ty because of what he did for us when he was here, but what he said on the way out was hardly "classy". Givens put his foot on the football and proceeded to mock the Eagles receivers in the Super Bowl. As a Pats fan, I loved that. But, once again, that was hardly "classy". I loved Seymour while he was here too and I think his trade was a mistake that hurt the defense significantly in 2009, but he was widely known as a dirty football player. Again, as a Pats fan this is not something that I have a problem with in the slightest, but it's not exactly classy either. As for Branch, do I even have to remind you what happened a few years back? Basically, it sounds like you think that the organization and you're preparing to bail. It also sounds as if you're just some sour Vols fan who isn't happy about the coach's relationship with Urban Meyer and the Gators and isn't happy that we took three Florida players in the draft, one of them Brandon Spikes (who is absolutely hated by Florida's rivals... if you can even call Tennessee that over the past couple of years).

As for me, the Patriots are the way, the truth, and the light. :cool:

Listening to all those games on radio with Nance and Herron and Grogan.

Watching the disasters unfold - Kim Hammond, Joe Kapp, Daryl Stingly, Dreith, Rod Rust, Colvin's hip...

Watching them live in Fenway, BC, BU... the "Bay State Patriots"...

Loss, joy, meaningless, greatness. Lots of Stamina - a lot like life...

What they mean - too me? Putting off open heart surgery against the advice of my doctors a few weeks, so I could see the Pats beat the Eagles first. Then when I had to go back in, I ran into Tedy, what a nice guy.

My team.

Listening to all those games on radio with Nance and Herron and Grogan.

Watching the disasters unfold - Kim Hammond, Joe Kapp, Daryl Stingly, Dreith, Rod Rust, Colvin's hip...

Watching them live in Fenway, BC, BU... the "Bay State Patriots"...

Loss, joy, meaningless, greatness. Lots of Stamina - a lot like life...

What they mean - too me? Putting off open heart surgery against the advice of my doctors a few weeks, so I could see the Pats beat the Eagles first. Then when I had to go back in, I ran into Tedy, what a nice guy.

My team.

Great post. may you always remain healthy, and enjoy your team.

I like the comparison to life, as I too have learned a bit from one of my 'heroes.' I have learned to look more at the big picture, as compared to the here and now. I have learned that no matter what, you will always encounter 'haters,' and people who will try and take you down. I have also learned that you should try and be prepared for everything, that you should always do your best, and that you should never make excuses. You should treat others with respect, stay humble, and look for, and try to get the positives out of people.

Obviously, not all of these have come from the love of this football team, some have come from growing up and getting older, etc. But there are many comparisons that can be made in actual life too.

All I know is that I am proud to be a member of this fanbase, and do not take for granted the fact that we have one of the greatest coaches of all time as our leader. Bill Belichick and his family (when younger) actually lived in my hometown of Youngstown, Ohio for a while. It is a great honor, and there is an actual foundation for his late dad that is set up in Struthers, Ohio--at the high school where my dad went, which is even more of an honor.

Favorite team. I'm proud of them, the way they play the game, the way they win, the players, everything! What's not to like? Well, they're not perfect but they are one of the best every year now. And I remember when they were just horrible. Grew up with this team, going to stick with this team. What is there to say?

Last edited:
*Puts up flame shield* The Patriots for me are starting to become less and less likable. I became a fan back in the late 90's. The organization is losing its "class act" factor in my opnion. My favorite players were Bruschi, Vrabel, Law, Givens, Seymour, Branch to name a few. The players I admired have, for the most part, moved on or retired. The only players left on the squad I like are Wes Welker, Tom Brady, Kevin Faulk, and Randy Moss. Besides that my opnions vary from neutral to dislike, and this draft class has brought in more players from the latter statistic.

You sound like a fair weather fan, a bandwagon jumper....I was a huge Chicago Bulls fan, until Jordan and Pippen left....the new Bulls are not as classy....Convenient how you became a fan right when Pats were about to begin winning championships and jumped off right when their championship run appeared to end....and blame it on all the high moral guys leaving We had Cory Dillon (recently arrested for assault), Willie Andrews (drugs), Kaczur (illegal painkillers), your guy Faulk (pot), Law and Moss (failure to obey an officer).......It wasn't the fact that the Pats from 2000-08 were better guys than the current group, they were just better players - which is why you liked rooting for them better then, than now....There are still good guys on the team, just not as good at playing.....

Last edited:
In actuality the Patriots mean way too much to me. I get so angry and depressed when they lose to a team I can't stand it just doesn't feel healthy.

Which is why for the first time in years I intentionally didn't watch a game this past year (the 2nd Jets game, right after the Colts game. I missed the Atlanta game as well but that's because my bro had surgery and I wanted to be there for him when he came out of it.) I asked my brother to let me know when the Jets game was over and then I checked the score online and saw that we won. After that I watched every game for the rest of the season, but the way I felt after we lost to the Colts was a little too intense and that wasn't the first time it had been that way (Losing to the Colts in the AFCC game, the game that shall not be named, etc.)

Mostly this is just because I'm so messed in the head in normal life I bring that into my NFL experience as well, so it's a battle for me between the ears. But I do love the Pats, maybe too much.

Nice post, CPG.

After family/friends/me and my work, nothing means more to me than the Patriots.

Just reading that makes me think I'm unbalanced.

did you mean "me"...and then "my work"...or "me and my work"? Cuz if you meant just "me", then you must be a narcissist and Joker don't cotton to no pretentious, preening, duck feathered pillow,patter on his own back self promoter...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

unbalanced.jpg

Unbalanced alright...

Last edited:
The Pats mean quite alot to me.Living in Canada I never saw a game and fell in love right away.When I was 4 or 5 Mom brought home a hat she got at a store for 2 bucks it was a blue hat with the original flying elvis logo(blue one) and I wore it and began to watch games on Sundays(we only get the pats each week)and began to cheer for them.I watched Drew Bledsoe play and I liked him.However when I was 8 I watched Tom Brady take to the field after Drew was injured.

I began to love Tom Brady and the way he plays the game.I watched Superbowl 36 in my room hat on and was in awe of him.The final drive I never blinked.When Adam kicked the winner I danced in my room.Ever since the Pats are my favorite team and football has overtaken Hockey as my favorite sport.I play touch Football in the summer and play QB.I don't have many heroes/idols in my life but Tom Brady is by far the top of the list.

I will still be a fan if we go 0-16 or 16-0 and nothing will change that even after Tom retires I will still go for the Pats they are apart of my identity as a person.

That's funny, because I can never hear Tom Petty's "Runnin' down a dream" without getting terribly angry and needing a drink.

I havent been able to listen to tom petty since that night, I can't change the radio fast enough if I see his name scroll across.

I havent been able to listen to tom petty since that night, I can't change the radio fast enough if I see his name scroll across.

Yeah, it's just "Runnin' down a dream" for me. It seemed to have some seriously amplified meaning during the halftime performance, and I was just way too antsy/amped up at that time.

I'm the first one to defend the 16-0 banner etc, and I see no shame in losing a championship game where not everyone can go home victorious....but, there's just something about that damn song that seems to bring it all back for me.

I've been around the Pats a long time and if I've never left them since day 1,
they obviously mean a lot to me. I took a lot of BS from the Gints fans back
when the AFL started and it seemed everyone around this neck of the woods
was rooting for the Gints. I couldn't stand them then (the Gints) and even
more so now.

Do they mean something personal? I don't know. I derive a ton of pleasure
following them, good or bad, but the good times over the last decade have
been the best so all you new guys, relish this as it doesn't get any better
than what you have seen since 2001.

I'm very excited over this draft class and not nearly so pessimistic as it seems
a lot of this forum is. I think we have a good bunch of kids to build an excellent
team with. Enjoy the ride and remember, it's a game.

did you mean "me"...and then "my work"...or "me and my work"? Cuz if you meant just "me", then you must be a narcissist and Joker don't cotton to no pretentious, preening, duck feathered pillow,patter on his own back self promoter...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

unbalanced.jpg

Unbalanced alright...

I meant it more in a way like "If I have a choice between getting cancer and the Pats losing, I'd prefer not to get cancer." Sorry, that may be a little selfish of me.

Agree with you guys on Tom Petty. Too bad, I used to like him almost as much as duck feathered pillows.

I didn't write that post last night

I have no idea who that could have been..

although I have been sleep walking lately...:bricks:

Joker don't cotton to no pretentious, preening, duck feathered pillow,patter on his own back self promoter...

that certainly does sound like some authentic R.I. gibberish though...guess it was me..:confused2:

Last edited:
I appreciated your use of the third person when referring to yourself.

if you think you are having a bad day, watch this clip...welcome to MY world, PJ..

42g5y.gif

Wow, that is just... wow! Fake, but good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes