PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are you expecting from Mac Jones this season?

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After a good first year for a rookie, what improvements are you looking for from our QB? Also, what would be a suitable TD-Int ratio?

He's a second year now so I no longer will give him a pass with him being a rookie but he's still young so I will be understanding. Last season I thought he played well for a rookie. Not perfect. Made mistakes. At times played like a rookie, but he also at times looked calm out there and beyond his years. What I want to see? I want to see Jones take more shots downfield and play a little less safe. I thought that was the biggest issue with him last season. It may have been coaching. Game strategy or maybe he just wasn't ready to do it all. Hard to say. This isn't a knock on Mac Jones at all either. He was a rookie so obviously he wasn't going to be a franchise QB yet.

Hbu you all?

Overall, game strategy held him back as there was a ton of designed short passes. But as others have observed, he did check down a little too fast to RB's at times.

Mac has a lot of promise and doesn't have much to work on. But the biggest improvement I want to see is more velocity on his fast ball and mechanics as I'm not a fan of his shot put throws. Throwing to the opposite sideline had painfully slow throws. I want to see how he responds when the other team punches them in the mouth not allowing the run game to get going. Is he up to the challenge to sling the ball around if they fall behind?

He's already got the accuracy down which is the most difficult part of throwing the football.

Last edited:
30/12 TD/INT ratio, 69% completion rate, & 4,500 yards.

For reference, his rookie season was 22/13, 67%, and 3,800 yards.

I’m hoping similar to this. Anything more is all bonus.

As long as he learns to utilize White and Strong in the backfield, from 3800 to 4300 is not hard to imagine at all. 4500 may be achievable.

Grogan & Brady are the standard for the Patriots. (Please don't bother me with DB11 or TE11)

Winning a title is a lofty ambition, but if he doesn't get hurt, I'd say that he will continue learning, I don't care if he has a zero pass attempts game (it's a team sport/terrible weather dictates appropriate strategy/who cares), he needs experience and he needs to build confidence.

He appears to have the right attitude, which is the most important thing of all.

I’m hoping similar to this. Anything more is all bonus.

As long as he learns to utilize White and Strong in the backfield, from 3800 to 4300 is not hard to imagine at all. 4500 may be achievable.
4000 last year was probably a given if you replace the hurricane game with a normal game.

1 Pass to get ahead and run to win.
2 Not leaning so much on the run offense.
3 Command of the passing offense. A continuation of success in the short game and significant improvement in the deep game.
4 Game winning drives.
5 4th quarter comebacks.

The top 8 QBs that passed for >4,400 yds were in teams that passed the ball >57.8% (up to 65.5%) of the time.

Pats passed 52.2% of the time (7th lowest). The team would have to dramatically shift from a run first offense. Anything is possible but I don't see it happening.

Wouldn't mind seeing some run options to keep the defense honest. I think he can run he's not a statue back there.

55 TDs
10 or less INTs
5500+ pass yards
500+ rushing yards
20-0 record
SB MVP
NFL MVP

1. A better handle on identifying the blitz presnap, and handling it better when he is surprised. More of a command moving around the pocket.

2. A bit more oomph to his throws, some earlier releases due to better anticipation. More of throwing the ball where the guy is supposed to be, not to him.

3. I’d like to see him be a bit more vocal. With his teammates and the opposition. Talk some ****, lay into a guy or two.

4. The Browns game. More of that Mac. Just slinging it all over the ****ing place. Aggressive.

5. Hard to gauge stats. We have no idea what the offense is going to look like. At the end of the season, does he look more in command? Does he look comfortable and confident? Can Mac put the team on his shoulders at times and will them to win? If O see more of that, I’ll be happy going into year 3.

Mac just needs to improve on this stat in his 2nd year.

The top 8 QBs that passed for >4,400 yds were in teams that passed the ball >57.8% (up to 65.5%) of the time.

Pats passed 52.2% of the time (7th lowest). The team would have to dramatically shift from a run first offense. Anything is possible but I don't see it happening.
You're in luck.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back