PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Are Chances Patriots Make Splash Trade For Justin Fields?

The team is depleted of talent, especially on offense. Can't begin the rebuild w/o bringing in talent. They can't do it just with the draft. They need to spend to bring in talent. I agree with being wise about it (no more Judon/Agholor contracts) but they'll have to spend. A lot.

I think they guys we need to target in FA are 2nd contract young guys, guys that have room to grow, and can hopefully sign another contract with us after the first one is up.

This FA period isn't one where can just spend alot of money and fix all our holes. We'll be lucky to fill one big hole.

The team is depleted of talent, especially on offense. Can't begin the rebuild w/o bringing in talent. They can't do it just with the draft. They need to spend to bring in talent. I agree with being wise about it (no more Judon/Agholor contracts) but they'll have to spend. A lot.
I agree that they need to spend ALL of the available cap. I am saying that they should not spend over that amount and defer payments to later years at this point in the rebuild. Once the pieces are in place they can do what the Rams did and overspend to get the team over the top. In other words they need to time the reset year(s) for after the team peaks with the group of players that will be brought on board to set the train back on the tracks.

I agree that they need to spend ALL of the available cap. I am saying that they should not spend over that amount and defer payments to later years at this point in the rebuild. Once the pieces are in place they can do what the Rams did and overspend to get the team over the top. In other words they need to time the reset year(s) for after the team peaks with the group of players that will be brought on board to set the train back on the tracks.
I hear you and generally agree. Unfortunately, given the amount of holes they have and the limited picks (3) in the top 100, they need to use FAcy to bring in "proven" young talent. That means competing w/ other teams for the talent. That means signing a big contract with, say someone like Winfield Jr., who is getting a bag. That means giving him a large guaranteed portion that'll need to be spread out across 4-5 years, so they have remaining cap left to sign all the other FAs. This is not the way Bill would've approached it, but it needs to happen.

Fields sucks. Draft a QB. Would be a franchise set back to invest in Fields and pass up a QB in the top 3

Watched every game, we won 4 of them, lost 8 (I think) by one score.

If you think that was rock bottom look back at the '93 '94 seasons, or Detroit 08 09 (2-30) or Browns '16 17 (1-31). We can go winless next season and not be the lowest rock bottom the NFL has season in the last decade.
Agreed. However I'm talking about the modern championship era of football. Actually your right maybe Bill was inspired by the 93&94 teams becuase the offense mirrored it. The 1 win and winless lions and Browns teams still looked functional on offense we didn't.

There were games where Bailey Jones couldn't even complete passes. However I'm comparing how this team looked in the era of ownership from the Krafts from 94 and on. This era of football is made far easier to score and move the ball due to the rules compared to past teams.

32nd ranked is 32 ranked. Ownership isn't used to being at bottom in the past 2 decades. They weren't the built up Powerhouse organization that we see today 30 years ago. They have sponsors to keep happy, TV deals to maintain. A 200 million lighthouse to pay for. They want attention, they want excitement in Foxboro. I expect wolf and Mayo to get talent in here. Right now offensively there isn't one skill position player that scares DCs.

I hear you and generally agree. Unfortunately, given the amount of holes they have and the limited picks (3) in the top 100, they need to use FAcy to bring in "proven" young talent. That means competing w/ other teams for the talent. That means signing a big contract with, say someone like Winfield Jr., who is getting a bag. That means giving him a large guaranteed portion that'll need to be spread out across 4-5 years, so they have remaining cap left to sign all the other FAs. This is not the way Bill would've approached it, but it needs to happen.
As you say the team has many holes, too many to fill in one year. The team needs to avoid creating the need for a cap reset just when the team starts to become competitive. Patience young Grasshopper.

Agreed. The draft is to maintain your roster and develop guys at all positions. However we need proven GAME CHANGERS ! Guys that DCs have to alter thier game plan for. Judon outplayed his contract he is phenomenal all pro type talent. However that is like shooting into the dark, we got lucky. Your absolutely correct we have to over spend in FA.

I'm optimistic becuase I know ownership is destined to get back to winning. They have been embarrassed the last two season. Nobody thought that we'd look that bad. I don't anticipate football being as bad offensively as it was the last 2 seasons. Can't get worse than 32nd.
We'll see... if their plan is to revive Mac, they could remain in the gutter.

Fields sucks. Draft a QB. Would be a franchise set back to invest in Fields and pass up a QB in the top 3

We agree on the first part. But I'm going to say this 100 more times in the next 10 weeks, you can't just pick a QB in the top 3, you have to believe in that player or you'll set the team back even further than trading for Fields.

Agreed. However I'm talking about the modern championship era of football.

These four seasons aren't in the current era of football?
Detroit 2008-09 (2-30) or Browns 2016-17 (1-31)

These four seasons aren't in the current era of football?
Detroit 2008-09 (2-30) or Browns 2016-17 (1-31)
Talking about the patriots not other teams... I'm talking specifically about the patriots. Not teams that have literally done nothing.

We'll see... if their plan is to revive Mac, they could remain in the gutter.
I don't know that that's the plan. But I ca imagine it's a better plan than last season. So as you've said we'll see.. bills not here so the onus is all on ownership.

Fi
We agree on the first part. But I'm going to say this 100 more times in the next 10 weeks, you can't just pick a QB in the top 3, you have to believe in that player or you'll set the team back even further than trading for Fields.
[/QUOTE

Fields was so bad DJ moore only had 1,300 plus yards receiving. The entire patriots WRs likely didn't have that production. We need everything QB, WR, LT, RT. Basically an entire offense

Having an owner, GM and coaching staff all pulling in one direction should be an improvement in any case.
Absolutely agreed. It appears that it's going in that direction. Every organization needs this. I do like that public pressure is on the team to aquire talent...

OK Cousin, I'll bite,
Speaking of that, had a great Sunday breakfast of a veggie, American cheese omelet cooked just right, with smoke sausage links and brioche toast. Topped that off with dark chocolate cocoa and a mini apple fruit pastry bite.

Let's assume the Fields "stinks" according to your summation. I am by no means a fanboy of Fields but watched a lot of his "good" tape. He has NFL tape and the holy three ....do not. Fields is only twenty five years old. He ain't perfect but seems to be going in the right direction. Watch his tape. He is not a finished product but neither are the other three. We have a year to decide if Fields can preserve Mayo's head coaching job.

I have seen the tape on Williams, Daniels and Maye....... College tape. All three are very raw. Williams throws passes he would not get away with in the NFL. He's also under 6'. Daniels is skinny Joshua Dobbs who had two world class WR at LSU. (was it he or them that brought success?) and Maye regressed this last year and has some accuracy issues.

So hence if we align them up versus college tape and hope that we get a Stroud and not Bryce Young whom the Panthers can be still hurting from in five years unless he has a miraculous turn around..........Would you give a fourth rounder for Bryce Young right now>? Talk about a Mac Jones fire sale. I might prefer Zach Wilson over Young right now......yikes!

I see more value on MHJ and trading for Fields or trading down to fill the way-too-many holes we also have that one mediocre over hyper college QB will do for the franchise day one.

Cousin, Here is the question: Do you want to be competitive in 2024 or hope to develop a raw kids over what I see, the next three years. I don't know about you but I want to at least be competitive in 2024.

The Bears scored 360 points in 2023 and won five of their last home games. The Pats scored 236 and were 1-6 at home. Yep, Fields won more that twice as many games as the Pats did. So sucks? Maybe.

Do we push all of our chips in the middle for what I say is an over hyped QB class or do we go to work and fill holes with a solid build and have the QB issue solved through trade or FA? Your call.......And that is o be respected.

Hate Fields? I have mentioned this before. Do we take Russell Wilson who won twice as many games as the Pats and yet on paper, the Teams were about the same. Wilson had decent 2023 numbers but he is not on the same channel as Payton. They would pay some of his salary. Do we swap the picks at their#12 for our #3 if they add Jerry Juedy (one year rental) who had more yards than any of our WR plus only 25 and LT Garret Boles who is under his last year but only 31 and a 2nd rounder in 2025? The Broncos want out of that contract.

Russell can still move as he had almost 275 yards on the ground. He would be a superb GAP QB if we opted for a Spemcer Rattler or a Penix in later rounds.

Russ in 15 games
66.4 completion3,070 Yards26 TDs8 INT98.0 QB Rating
Would we take those numbers from any QB in 2024?

Then we can get a top WR or OT at picks #12.

This is just one blueprint I can see for 2024 but Fields would still be my choice.
DW Toys

They need to do contracts that have an out in 2 years with minimal dead money unless there is a surefire shot prospect.

Carry forward 10% of cap every year till you are confident of qb.

OK Cousin, I'll bite,
Speaking of that, had a great Sunday breakfast of a veggie, American cheese omelet cooked just right, with smoke sausage links and brioche toast. Topped that off with dark chocolate cocoa and a mini apple fruit pastry bite.

Let's assume the Fields "stinks" according to your summation. I am by no means a fanboy of Fields but watched a lot of his "good" tape. He has NFL tape and the holy three ....do not. Fields is only twenty five years old. He ain't perfect but seems to be going in the right direction. Watch his tape. He is not a finished product but neither are the other three. We have a year to decide if Fields can preserve Mayo's head coaching job.

I have seen the tape on Williams, Daniels and Maye....... College tape. All three are very raw. Williams throws passes he would not get away with in the NFL. He's also under 6'. Daniels is skinny Joshua Dobbs who had two world class WR at LSU. (was it he or them that brought success?) and Maye regressed this last year and has some accuracy issues.

So hence if we align them up versus college tape and hope that we get a Stroud and not Bryce Young whom the Panthers can be still hurting from in five years unless he has a miraculous turn around..........Would you give a fourth rounder for Bryce Young right now>? Talk about a Mac Jones fire sale. I might prefer Zach Wilson over Young right now......yikes!

I see more value on MHJ and trading for Fields or trading down to fill the way-too-many holes we also have that one mediocre over hyper college QB will do for the franchise day one.

Cousin, Here is the question: Do you want to be competitive in 2024 or hope to develop a raw kids over what I see, the next three years. I don't know about you but I want to at least be competitive in 2024.

The Bears scored 360 points in 2023 and won five of their last home games. The Pats scored 236 and were 1-6 at home. Yep, Fields won more that twice as many games as the Pats did. So sucks? Maybe.

Do we push all of our chips in the middle for what I say is an over hyped QB class or do we go to work and fill holes with a solid build and have the QB issue solved through trade or FA? Your call.......And that is o be respected.

Hate Fields? I have mentioned this before. Do we take Russell Wilson who won twice as many games as the Pats and yet on paper, the Teams were about the same. Wilson had decent 2023 numbers but he is not on the same channel as Payton. They would pay some of his salary. Do we swap the picks at their#12 for our #3 if they add Jerry Juedy (one year rental) who had more yards than any of our WR plus only 25 and LT Garret Boles who is under his last year but only 31 and a 2nd rounder in 2025? The Broncos want out of that contract.

Russell can still move as he had almost 275 yards on the ground. He would be a superb GAP QB if we opted for a Spemcer Rattler or a Penix in later rounds.

Russ in 15 games
66.4 completion3,070 Yards26 TDs8 INT98.0 QB Rating
Would we take those numbers from any QB in 2024?

Then we can get a top WR or OT at picks #12.

This is just one blueprint I can see for 2024 but Fields would still be my choice.
DW Toys

Ok DW, I’ll give you this much, that definitely bit.

Judon actually outplayed his contract. He really became an ALL PRO level player here. He has a motor for days and his pass rush is relentless. Imagine next season with Judon, Jennings, Barmore, white up front...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back