PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Are Belichick's Draft Priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just bored a couple of weeks from the draft. I suspect that Belichick's priorities for our early picks (first 3 rounds) are different than for many posters here.

MY GUESS (not even counting QB which is a possible 1st round pick)
LB
EDGE
OT
TE
IOL
WR

Personally, putting TE on the list is a hope that Belichick drafts a TE.

Last edited:
It beats anything coronavirus related.

LB or Edge. I prefer Edge as the Pats need a threat there. The manufactured pass rush got exposed as the season wore on.

TE is a dire need as well.

This is a very deep group at WR, if the Pats don't come out with one or two, I'll be pissed.

On the defensive side, clearly the emphasis will be at LB and the DL. On offense there is no question that TE needs to be addressed, and since this is such a deep draft at WR, and we have so many mid to late round picks, I'm sure we will pick up help there.

Elsewhere, Bill has drafted a QB at some point of the draft in almost every year, so drafting one from the 3rd round on would be no surprise.

I think we are OK at RB and the OL, so I don't see an early pick on the OL, UNLESS we release Cannon at some point before the draft. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised to see us go OT in the first, though it wouldn't be my first choice.

I expect Bill to want to get into the 2nd round by moving one of the 3rd round comp picks, plus a 4th in the 2o21 draft.

In my perfect world I'd love to see us go DL, TE, LB with our first 3 picks

I think tight end is the biggest need. That murdered our offense having zero nfl calibre tight ends on the roster minus Watson turning back the clock a few times.

Linebacker and DL I’d say are the second and third biggest needs. Linebacker pretty thin outside of Hightower and Bentley.

Kicker I could see drafted, not familiar to who is available in the draft but, Bill isn’t afraid to draft special teamers as shown time and time ago.

Surprised Folk hasn’t returned yet on small guarantee money. Folk was great last year but, he’s been erratic through his career. He’ll be excellent for a few years but suddenly completely fall apart.

. be surprised to see us go OT in the first, though it wouldn't be my first choice.

I expect Bill to want to get into the 2nd round by moving one of the 3rd round comp picks, plus a 4th in the 2o21 draft.

It would take our 3rd plus a comp 3rd plus a 2021 4th. Is that what you had in mind? I don't think Bill has ever given up a future pick as capital for a current draft.

Two of our thirds is not enough to move into the second.

I would not be surprised it the Patriots draft two TEs in the third round. First pick will likely be DL. I really wish they hadn't traded a 2nd for Sanu. They have a lot of needs.

TE
DE
OL
LB
DT
WR

With a possible shortened TC wouldn't it make sense to trade quantity for quality considering we have 4 6th round picks and 2 7th round picks.

It will probably be harder for late rounders to show enough to make the team this year.

Is 4 6th round picks equal to one 2nd?

It would take our 3rd plus a comp 3rd plus a 2021 4th. Is that what you had in mind? I don't think Bill has ever given up a future pick as capital for a current draft.

Two of our thirds is not enough to move into the second.
No I didn't think it would take more than 2 picks to move up into the lower 3rd of the 2nd round. Maybe one of the comp 3rds and a 2021 2rd plus a 2021 6th.
My reasoning is I'd give up picks in the 2021 draft because THAT'S the year when we will have the big cap space, so what we lose in that draft, we can make up in signing PROVEN talent in FA. This is the year where we want to hit on 3-5 players who will be with us for at least 4 years

Right now we have a ton of picks but I'm always looking for quality over quantity. I also think last year's draft was a lot better than most think.

Harry was a victim of injury more than anything else. I also think that big WR's like Harry take a few years to develop into their potential, than naturally quick and fast ones. I look for a good year from him.

JJ Williams - was the victim of the tremendous depth we had and STILL have in the secondary. Will be be moved to safety (he was excellent against the run in camp and the few chance he had last year) or be more of a chess piece. But I love his size and potential.

Winowich was last year's most productive rookie, and without Van Noy he will get more reps to show he's improved. It takes time for those without freakish, 1% skills to develop into their best potential. You just have to look at the guy he's most compared to, Ninko.

Harris - another victim of depth. But here's a guess. Harris is one injury or cut away from getting his chance and will show well when it happens. I was not alone in liking him during camp last season.

Cajuste - I would be very surprised if he isn't at LEAST the swing OT this season, if not the starter. He was considered a first round talent before his injury. And I've read (here) that he's healthy now.

Frodholt - He was another guy who's season was cut short by injury. There were a lot of high hopes that he would emerge as the #3 G and be the Thuney replacement this year. Let's see if he can be this season. The raw talent is there....supposedly

Stidham - Hey, this could be the QB of the future. Not bad in the late 4th

Cowart - I liked Cowart. He was my camp binky. I still think he he has a high upside. DT's often take a few years to mature and learn their positions. It takes time to learn their game when in HS and College their size and strength were all they needed. Like Wino, he'll get his chance this season

Jake Bailey - This was one of those picks I hated in April because our current punter might have been the superbowl MVP. But I was dead wrong and we got an upgrade with this pick.

Ken Webster - didn't make our team but was good enough to play all season with the Phins. Nice to find an NFL quality DB in the 7th round.

So while we only got decent production out of Winovich, much of the rest of this draft was hampered or lost to injuries, or stuck behind quality depth at their positions. It CAN be so much more. So regardless of what we get in the coming draft, we could have a lot of help coming from last season's group that we haven't see the best of.

BTW- let me know what the draft chart says about moving from 90 t0 say 55

WR is a huge need and has to be in there at 2nd or 3rd pick.

Edelman is your best WR at 34 years old. At least make an attempt to land a young TALENTED WR who will be around a few seasons. This drafting of late round WRs only to cut the player in a year makes no sense.

Unless someone he really covets is their at 23, I fully expect him to trade down and grab extra picks.

I would say TE, but that was the case last year and he selected none. The draft is loaded with talented WR, it would be nice to grab one

All depends on stidham. If we think he’s going to be the starter for years to come we need to add pieces around him. If we don’t BB should prioritize landing the next franchise qb. We need to solidify the most important position.

No I didn't think it would take more than 2 picks to move up into the lower 3rd of the 2nd round. Maybe one of the comp 3rds and a 2021 2rd plus a 2021 6th.
My reasoning is I'd give up picks in the 2021 draft because THAT'S the year when we will have the big cap space, so what we lose in that draft, we can make up in signing PROVEN talent in FA. This is the year where we want to hit on 3-5 players who will be with us for at least 4 years

Right now we have a ton of picks but I'm always looking for quality over quantity. I also think last year's draft was a lot better than most think.

Harry was a victim of injury more than anything else. I also think that big WR's like Harry take a few years to develop into their potential, than naturally quick and fast ones. I look for a good year from him.

JJ Williams - was the victim of the tremendous depth we had and STILL have in the secondary. Will be be moved to safety (he was excellent against the run in camp and the few chance he had last year) or be more of a chess piece. But I love his size and potential.

Winowich was last year's most productive rookie, and without Van Noy he will get more reps to show he's improved. It takes time for those without freakish, 1% skills to develop into their best potential. You just have to look at the guy he's most compared to, Ninko.

Harris - another victim of depth. But here's a guess. Harris is one injury or cut away from getting his chance and will show well when it happens. I was not alone in liking him during camp last season.

Cajuste - I would be very surprised if he isn't at LEAST the swing OT this season, if not the starter. He was considered a first round talent before his injury. And I've read (here) that he's healthy now.

Frodholt - He was another guy who's season was cut short by injury. There were a lot of high hopes that he would emerge as the #3 G and be the Thuney replacement this year. Let's see if he can be this season. The raw talent is there....supposedly

Stidham - Hey, this could be the QB of the future. Not bad in the late 4th

Cowart - I liked Cowart. He was my camp binky. I still think he he has a high upside. DT's often take a few years to mature and learn their positions. It takes time to learn their game when in HS and College their size and strength were all they needed. Like Wino, he'll get his chance this season

Jake Bailey - This was one of those picks I hated in April because our current punter might have been the superbowl MVP. But I was dead wrong and we got an upgrade with this pick.

Ken Webster - didn't make our team but was good enough to play all season with the Phins. Nice to find an NFL quality DB in the 7th round.

So while we only got decent production out of Winovich, much of the rest of this draft was hampered or lost to injuries, or stuck behind quality depth at their positions. It CAN be so much more. So regardless of what we get in the coming draft, we could have a lot of help coming from last season's group that we haven't see the best of.

BTW- let me know what the draft chart says about moving from 90 t0 say 55
If we wanted to move up to 55 ...

Old value chart
55 = 350

87/98/100 = 363

New value chart
55 = 101

87/98/125 = 105

Phila at 54 might be an option. They only have one 3rd.

Sea is another at 59 or 64. They have two 2nd. We could keep a 3rd and get a late 2nd.

I laid out a few more sceneries in my draft thread.

If we wanted to move up to 55 ...

Old value chart
55 = 350

87/98/100 = 363

New value chart
55 = 101

87/98/125 = 105

Phila at 54 might be an option. They only have one 3rd.

Sea is another at 59 or 64. They have two 2nd. We could keep a 3rd and get a late 2nd.

I laid out a few more sceneries in my draft thread.
2020 NFL Trade Value Chart

WR is a huge need and has to be in there at 2nd or 3rd pick.

Edelman is your best WR at 34 years old. At least make an attempt to land a young TALENTED WR who will be around a few seasons. This drafting of late round WRs only to cut the player in a year makes no sense.

The 3rd is a good place to find a WR.

With a possible shortened TC wouldn't it make sense to trade quantity for quality considering we have 4 6th round picks and 2 7th round picks.

It will probably be harder for late rounders to show enough to make the team this year.

Is 4 6th round picks equal to one 2nd?

Four 6th's won't even get you a 4th.

The number 1 goal for bb is to fix the offensive line. Regardless of who is at te, rb, wr or especially qb, we must have a quality line. Everything in football is about the offensive and defensive lines. Who can all pros act every skill position on offense, but if the offensive line sucks, you are not winning a lot of games.

bb has the medicals on all our offense linemen that were on ir and/or injured in 2019 and when it comes to the offensive line, that is a lot of guys.

bb has to get this right this year and have quality depth! No more jag’s like Newhouse on the roster!

bb’s job number 2 is fatties that can stop the run on the defensive line!

if he gets those two right, everything else is gravy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes