PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a weird performance from Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats won't play that bad again. It sometimes happens coming off the playoff bye week. In 2014 the Pats D played pretty bad against the Ravens also coming off the playoff bye week. This time it was the offense. I haven't seen anyone comparing the Texans to the 85' Bears, but their defense is good, very good and they came in with a good game plan that they executed pretty well. Despite that, the Pats put up 24 points on offense while playing an overall lousy game. I think they've got their subpar playoff game out of their system.
I suppose. I suppose also there is something to be said about all the former Patriots over there.. Kind of amazing how many in that coaching staff. It makes me think they should be great when I see all those guys coaching plus Vince on the field.

I suppose. I suppose also there is something to be said about all the former Patriots over there.. Kind of amazing how many in that coaching staff. It makes me think they should be great when I see all those guys coaching plus Vince on the field.
It is amazing. The Texans were supposed to have a great defense going into the year and they kind of dropped off the radar after losing Watt, at least in the public eye. But they, like the Pats defense, seemed to get better during the year. That said, the pats offense looked rusty and they game plan on offense seemed like it was expecting one thing and instead it got a different look from the Texans than they expected. Certainly, the O-line looked confused out there.

I hate to give such a generic answer but it really was a bit of everything.

Good D meets + meh QB play + meh blocking + WRs not making some catches they could have = inconsistent offense.

A very good defensive game plan by two former Patriot Coordinators who know the Patriots and Brady well was part of the picture too IMHO.

Not only deep balls, but these weird, high, looping deep passes. He threw so many that I started wondering if it was part of the game plan.
He said it was

Brady usually has a sub par performance at least once in a 16 game regular season... He missed 4 games due to the suspension, and didn't really have that sub par game in the 12 regular season games he played this year. Last night was that game. We are in the clear now.

Those high passes to the sidelines were thrown with amazing touch and accuracy. Receivers were nowhere near coming out of the break when they were thrown. This is what happen with man-to-man coverage deep downfield. Great throws by Brady. Tis is why I said the performance was so odd.

Another thing we have to mention: the completion % was so low because he threw 8 or 9 balls purposely out of bounds.

18 for 30 = 60%, much better than 18 for 38.

Pressure from the interior. Everyone knows it throws Brady off. Thankfully a lot of teams can't do it.
True of every QB really, when you can't step up it makes things really difficult. Rodgers might be the only one who seems to be able to throw almost just as well without stepping up.

I thought Brady was terrible tonight.

Offense was out of sync and he was looking for the home run ball too much.

It's all about exploiting match ups and taking what the defense gives you, no need to force things.
He was exploiting matchups and taking what the defense gave him.
The fact that he HAD TO play differently and was successful is the point.
Take away the picks which were fluky and no one is saying a negative thing.

Brady's terrible game is another quarterback's better game in most cases. I don't think he was terrible at all - he did what he was supposed to do and took what his offense of line allowed him to take. I think Brady was a little bit in shock at how fast and hard Houston's defense came at him and broke through the line but he got over it - let's face it he's been pretty clean this year the O line has done a great job so to experience that kind of pressure look like you took him a little bit to get used to and took a little bit of the air out of the sails. But he did what do you need to do to win. Both interceptions were tipped - Neither agree throws, but they weren't blatant horrible into the other hands of the defense throw.

The bar on Brady is high and it should be. All that matters is the W!

Those high passes to the sidelines were thrown with amazing touch and accuracy. Receivers were nowhere near coming out of the break when they were thrown. This is what happen with man-to-man coverage deep downfield. Great throws by Brady. Tis is why I said the performance was so odd.

Another thing we have to mention: the completion % was so low because he threw 8 or 9 balls purposely out of bounds.

18 for 30 = 60%, much better than 18 for 38.
Completion percentage was also low because Houston took away the short high completion stuff and left the deeper lower percentage stuff open. That also led to the throwaways because receivers had tougher slower developing routes to get open on.

28/38/287 and 18/38/287 are just 2 different ways to get to the same result.

Brady was awful, and I'm not talking stats, I'm talking about what my eyes saw. Defenders were basically walking through the line and Brady was just throwing 'em in the air, they seemed to float up there forever, praying his WRs would catch it or hoping for PI. Most of his passes had a high chance of being INT, the Texans D dropped about 2-3 of 'em. He was awful, just like Luck, I don't care if he threw 600 on the greatest D of all time.

Brady threw the ball behind Floyd, so the INT was definitely on Brady.

That throw to Edelman was also suspect, even I saw the INT before it happened. I know he was trying to help Edelman break some meaningless record and I'm annoyed with it.

If the Texans had anything like Ryan, Rodgers, that rapist or even Alex Smith we would've lost that game. All those turnovers and that Edward Cullen looking scrub could only produce dropped passes, 1 TD and some FGs.

We were lucky.

Given the time Brady had to throw the ball and the coverage on his WRs, he was forced to play bad, so I will give the Texans D, mostly the coaches, some credit. I'm just curious to why we didn't try to run the ball more.

Brady threw the ball behind Floyd, so the INT was definitely on Brady.
??????

The ball was thrown in front of Floyd (whether bad throw or Floyd not running the route properly, who knows). He had to lunge forward for it and it ticked off his hand.

That throw to Edelman was also suspect, even I saw the INT before it happened. I know he was trying to help Edelman break some meaningless record and I'm annoyed with it.

As one of my co-workers likes to say -- you're smokin' crack. For one thing, Edelman set the franchise postseason receptions record before that INT.

I know there are a lot of people blaming Floyd for the INT but to me it looked like it was equally on Brady if not moreso.

It would have been a really nice catch if Floyd could have held onto that but the pass looked bad. Brady made it a lot harder on Floyd than it needed to be. Brady deserves blame for both of his INTs. Bad game but like I've said the Texans did a terrific job against our receivers (except allowing Pats receivers to reel in deep floating passes).

I know there are a lot of people blaming Floyd for the INT but to me it looked like it was equally on Brady if not moreso.

It would have been a really nice catch if Floyd could have held onto that but the pass looked bad. Brady made it a lot harder on Floyd than it needed to be. Brady deserves blame for both of his INTs. Bad game but like I've said the Texans did a terrific job against our receivers (except allowing Pats receivers to reel in deep floating passes).

I saw Floyd stop running his route hard. He didn't run onto it. Then he got alligator arms from the approaching defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back