PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a weird performance from Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know how competitive he is and he's not gonna play like this again next week. I think he comes out angry.

I thought he seemed extremely odd on the sidelines as well. In the first half after a drive he was just sitting by himself instead of going over plays and diagrams with Josh which is typically the norm.

Probably because there was no more plays to go over, since at one point, he hadn't thrown a pass in 45 minutes of real-time.

That might've had something to do with facing the league's No. 1 ranked defense (which the Patriots still managed to score 34 points on).

I'm not denying the Patriots /Brady was flat at times (because clearly they were) but as I often do in games like this I ask myself: just imagine if they weren't.

In this game this means they easily could have scored 41+ point against the #1 defense in the league.

How high even crazy are our expectations?

And how crazy is it that it's not being too unreasonable to expect better out of them.

Last edited:
Texans played great defense and got brady to move of his spot with pressure up the middle. Nothing new here. Any QB will struggle with this.

Andrews had a poor game, he was getting bullied in there. These are the games you miss Gronk and his blocking ability and also keeping linebackers on their toes since he is so good at splitting defenders.

He definitely had a poor game, I agree that. But the Texans were also using a pretty novel strategy (lining up Mercilus over the center) and abusing it repeatedly, and the Pats clearly weren't prepared for it. I expect whoever we play next will attempt to do something similar, but we've got a week to prepare for it so I'm optimistic.

It's not good or anything, but it's better than conventional pressure getting home repeatedly, because this is something you're more likely to be able to scheme through.

I'm not denying the Patriots /Brady was flat at times (because clearly they were) but as I often do in games like this I ask myself: just imagine if they weren't.

In this game this means they easily could have scored 41+ point against the #1 defense in the league.

How high even crazy are our expectations?

And how crazy is it that it's not being too unreasonable to expect better out of them.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to log on here and see the negativity. We just dropped 34 points on a very good defense, Brady's deep ball was repeatedly connecting, Dion Lewis' performance basically confirmed that Belichick and McDaniels have been holding him back to unleash him on the playoffs, and I believe every Texan point came directly from a turnover or Rowe committing one of the single dumbest penalties I've ever seen.

Basically, if I had to grade the game the Pats played, I'd give it a D+... and we still won by 18. We're in the AFCCG, I have a hard time maintaining any negative feelings here.

He definitely had a poor game, I agree that. But the Texans were also using a pretty novel strategy (lining up Mercilus over the center) and abusing it repeatedly, and the Pats clearly weren't prepared for it. I expect whoever we play next will attempt to do something similar, but we've got a week to prepare for it so I'm optimistic.

It's not good or anything, but it's better than conventional pressure getting home repeatedly, because this is something you're more likely to be able to scheme through.

True, but at times it looked sad, generally a center should be able to handle such pass rusher without linebackers blitzing, this is why some have said we need a bigger center, also during short yardage runs Andrews hasn't been able to create any openings..this hurts the run game.

I think the rest of the offensive linemen played well, the penalty on Solder was pure ********.

• Agree
Reactions: rfh
I thought he seemed extremely odd on the sidelines as well. In the first half after a drive he was just sitting by himself instead of going over plays and diagrams with Josh which is typically the norm.

Were you on the sidelines the entire time or how can you even claim stuff like that ? Just because CBS didn't show a close up of it happening ? What is this crap ?

Last edited:
But the Texans were also using a pretty novel strategy (lining up Mercilus over the center) and abusing it repeatedly, and the Pats clearly weren't prepared for it.

Brady said in the presser that this wasn't anything new and the Texans tried to do the same stuff last year in Houston. They were practicing for it but simply didn't execute well. If you take away the Texan points via the stupid turnovers it really was a bit reminiscent of that game last year.

Brady in my opinion played great. No effort to establish the run. Houston got a pass rush. Early on when he got protection, players weren't getting open. Houston is one of the best defenses. Only 1 pick was on Brady. He made some great throws under duress. I don't think Brady was put in position to succeed today, personally

I think "great" is a bit of a stretch. Brady got a little rattled, was throwing off his back foot, telegraphing his passses by staring down receivers, or throwing behind them.

Now if you want to use "great" to describe the Patriots D....

I think "great" is a bit of a stretch. Brady got a little rattled, was throwing off his back foot, telegraphing his passses by staring down receivers, or throwing behind them.

Now if you want to use "great" to describe the Patriots D....
Pats D was great
I couldn't have asked Brady to do much more last night given what the approach was on offense. I understand they wanted to go down field to exploit Houston, but when you do that you have to 1. PROTECT and 2. Get open. I'm actually happy with the team to be honest. I'm not happy with McDaniels, I think he's getting a pass right now. The defense is responsible for 7, the special teams is responsible for 7. Houston had 13 points off of turnovers.

Brady was bad, but McDaniel's game plan was atrocious. And the fact they have 14m without touching the ball was a factor as well. So i blame him, but i blame Josh more.

Were you on the sidelines the entire time or how can you even claim stuff like that ? Just because CBS didn't show a close up of it happening ? What is this crap ?

It's actually not to difficult to spot the differences if you paid attention while watching the tv. Give it a shot some time and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Texans played great defense and got brady to move of his spot with pressure up the middle. Nothing new here. Any QB will struggle with this.
Pretty Simple

The more I think about it, that was the toughest defensive performance this O has faced all year.

Tom and the O didn't play up to snuff but HOU brought it last night.

Moving on...

Just some unlucky throws, and the Texans has a pretty good secondary. Wouldn't be shocked if the guy follows this up with a Rodgers-esque game from last week, 4 TD's, 0 interception, and a high completion percentage.

Brady WILL come out LIVID & torch all defenses in his path. Especially with him (& the team) tasting just how close glory is. He will not be denied, especially after this performance. HOU both knows our scheme intimately & have the players to execute that scheme (although they obviously came up short). Remember, they have damn near a staffs worth of ex-Pats over there.

OR

Blount, Lewis & White will have a field day on the ground!

I just have this feeling that HOU will be the toughest DEF we'll face the rest of the way..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick