PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker signs with Denver Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Berry ‏@MatthewBerryTMR
WesW led NFL in rec, rec yds & rec 1st downs when lined up in slot in '12. Peyton completed NFL high 71.7 % to slot receivers

Manning is going to have a career year next year.

WesW led NFL in rec, rec yds & rec 1st downs when lined up in slot in '12. Peyton completed NFL high 71.7 % to slot receivers

Gotta be honest.....Manning with Decker, Thomas, and Welker in a 3-WR set is very, very scary. I don't know if he'll have a career year (gonna be hard to top his 2004 season), but he's going to be really good. Denver just got a lot better.

:mad:

If he does, good for him, still not winning a ring with that garbage secondary.

So BB doesn't sign Adam V. arguably clutchest kicker and 2 time game winning Superbowl hero which he signs with arch rival Colts and P.Manning for a few measly bucks and we all know how that ended up for AV.

Now BB lets Welker go and sign with Broncos and P.Manning for a measly 12Mil 6 per 2 years hopefully that will not end up like AV with Colts.

Looks like that both gave BB "One Finger Salute" On'da way out!
Anyway Thank You Wes Welker for your time here and welcome Amendola hopefully will contribute and get a rhytym with Brady that won't miss a beat.

Seems to me the Pats had a 6 year 30 million deal with Amendola set up. Then Welker came asking for us to match and Bill gave him the finger and then upped Amendolas deal by exactly .2 million more for the good ole double finger salute for Welker to receive while reading his twitter on his flight to Denver. :D

Seems to me the Pats had a 6 year 30 million deal with Amendola set up. Then Welker came asking for us to match and Bill gave him the finger and then upped Amendolas deal by exactly .2 million more for the good ole double finger salute for Welker to receive while reading his twitter on his flight to Denver. :D

Too bad Jim Croce's song can't be rewritten to "You don't mess around with Bill".

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with BILL !!!!

Not to sound like Nostradamus but I had a felt that this was going to happen. Too many events- substantial or not gave me an uneasy feeling....

-2009: Knee injury
-2010: No contract extension
-2011: No contract extension
-2012: Tagged, no contract extension
-2012: Every washed up slot receiver under the sun in TC
-2012: Edelman getting time over WW in the 1st few games
-2012: Paid Gronk
-2012: Paid AH
-2013: Radio silence on the contract
-2013: No tag

I'm on record as saying that the Pats should not overextend themselves for WW (not pay him Megatron money) and that in the playoffs, his play was uneven but still felt that his value was 3yr/20m or so. Thought the Pats and he would have figured it out. Obviously not.

Sad that its come to this.

2 years for 12 million.

WTF.

I take back most of what I said in this thread.

It makes no sense to turn down Welker at that money. That is the bargain of the offseason, I would've thought if he was leaving the Pats, it was 2/20, at a minimum.

Wow. In Belichick We Trust. But this one really, really is confusing. I get that Amendola's younger. But Wes Welker is a lot better. Unless they think he's about to break down, there's no reason to cut ties with one of their five best players over a couple million.

And honestly, the Amendola signing makes this even more troubling for me to understand. I was OK with this philosophical shift Bedard has talked about. I could wrap my head around it. But to go out and get a guy who replicates his skillset? Who maybe even has the same deficiencies, but is an unproven in our offense and hasn't been healthy in several years??

IBBWT is pushed to the limit this time.

Gotta be honest.....Manning with Decker, Thomas, and Welker in a 3-WR set is very, very scary. I don't know if he'll have a career year (gonna be hard to top his 2004 season), but he's going to be really good. Denver just got a lot better.

:mad:

They spend a big chunk of what they had on something that wasn't necessary. They have Thomas and Decker and decent TEs.
If Dumervil goes so that Manning can replace Stokely with Welker and take catches away from Decker and Thomas, did they really get better?

Yes, Belichick is going to spend $200,000 to send a cryptic meaningless message to Welker when he has never, ever shown remorse toward a player, and could have just told him he would rather have Amendola. $200,000 to send a childish message instead of saying it to his face really sounds like BB.:rolleyes:

I'm glad Welker is finally gone

He's a great player. Great character. Tough and inspirational. His service in New England will always be remembered.

But.... after failing to Win the big one from 2007-2012... It was time to move on.

Amendola is in his prime years, and a bit taller than Welker. He doesn't get crushed as much as Welker does by physical defences. Has a bit more range than WW. Brady/Belichick/McDaniels are going to make him a superstar if he can stay healthy.

It's time for the offense to be refreshed and have a bit of a new identity. Hopefully we draft a WR in the 1st rd and 2nd rounds (Double Dip) to ensure some depth.

Re: I'm glad Welker is finally gone

if he can stay healthy.

Missed 20 games in past 2 years and has only player 1 full season in last 4 years...he can't stay healthy....I am sure as hell not glad he is gone

They spend a big chunk of what they had on something that wasn't necessary.

I would agree with this statement if the "big chunk" part were true. Welker will be making less than Brian Hartline next year. He'll be making only slightly more than guys like Nate Burleson & Josh Morgan.

Wes was a bargain. Easily. It was a no-brainer for Denver.

I still think he won't mesh as well with Peyton as he did with Brady and I don't think Denver's offense will be tremendously improved by putting him into it. Better, yes, but improvements will be offset if their schedule isn't a joke next year.

Yes!!!! its official the 2 biggest choke artists in the playoffs on the same team. Now Belichick can focus on the d and bring in some wr's who Brady will make into the wes welker(more clutch hopefully) dion branch type. Pick 6 to butterfingers wooot!!!!!

This actually made me laugh.

Count me among those (if, indeed, there are any others) who trust there is a method to this "madness" of letting Welker go. More free agency and the draft to go before much of an assessment can be made.

I'm not going to dump on him, but I thought it was time to move on too.

I'm not going to dump on him, but I thought it was time to move on too.

Maybe it was time to move on...but the trade off was amendola? Don't like that. if he plays all 16 games this year..i will take it back

As I said before, I'm OK with moving on without Welker - I think the team has a plan, but Amendola?? Amendola is a whopping 1.5 inches taller and 0 lbs bigger.

We were 1 minute within 2 Super Bowls with Wes; and 30 minutes within getting to another with him. Let's not undermine his accomplishments here.

His time here will be among the most productive spans a wide receiver ever had. Or will have.

We were 1 minute within 2 Super Bowls with Wes; and 30 minutes within getting to another with him. Let's not undermine his accomplishments here.

...and a dropped pass away from (probably) winning the Superbowl in 2012.

it was Welker who dropped that pass BTW.

I will be forever grateful for the years Welker gave us and it suck to see him go to the Donkies on the cheap like this.

At the same time, I began getting over the whole Brady to WW offense starting last super bowl and continuing into this playoffs. Like Brady to Moss......... in the clutch, this combo just wasn't getting the job done. Too many big drops/off throws/whatever in big moments for my liking.

Time to retool the offense a bit.

p.s. On a related note, I have a fairly well-worn #83 Jersey I'd be willing to sell anyone fairly cheap. :cool:

As I said before, I'm OK with moving on without Welker - I think the team has a plan, but Amendola?? Amendola is a whopping 1.5 inches taller and 0 lbs bigger.

His time here will be among the most productive spans a wide receiver ever had. Or will have.

Amendola is just one guy.

Don't forget Deion Branch also needs to be replaced. And Lloyd might even be replaced too.

Theres more moves coming, and possible high draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes