PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Were Pats Fans (and media) Unrealistically Optimistic About The 2020 Patriots?

I know I'm old but apparently the end is nearer than I thought. I decided to go back and look at the season predictions I had written down prior to the beginning of the season. I had them 8-8. Then I started looking at the individual selections. Holy crap! I only had 14 games listed and showed them 8-8. I guess it won't be long now.

I had them at 5 wins before Cam signed and then thought we could have a shot at the last wildcard. I still think we do but we must beat buffalo.

I had them .500. At best maybe winning 9 games.....the worse of my fears before the season began is what's happening right now

"I didn't expect them to win a ring before optouts, now they have to rely on rookies and second year players more than they did before. This is a reloading year." - Wozzy: Aug 12, 2020

Just as the original poster suggested, the Patriots had been in a win now mode in the final years before Tom's departure. They borrowed from the future to make deals happen, they only employed vet weapons until 2019 which are more expensive than rookies. They had the best defense, special teams and O-Line in the league for years running. They were paying Tom and Gronk on base deals, renegotiating incentives each year to keep them paid and the salary cap flexible. It had run it's course in the end, and the best move for both sides was to move on. Tom could go to a super team in Tampa for his best chance to win, BB could shed cap debt/dead weight in a transition season and build another dynasty going forward. It was a longterm, "big picture" move to hit the reset button.

Fans here may not like it, or even understand it... but that's what it was. They can also complain all they want about BB sucking, his poor drafting yada yada... but with Cam or Stidham playing well, this would be a competitive team in a "rebuilding" year.

Not impressed? Consider what a rebuild looks like on other teams, a fire sale of all the best players to the point of reaching a one or two win season (or more seasons) and mass accumulation of draft picks. The 2020 Patriots had a chance, unfortunately both QB options fell flat on their face. Oh well... deal with it, it's (potentially) only the third season in two decades you've had to endure more than six losses. Tell it to the Bengals and Browns.

If PFF compiled a ridiculous stat like "big time throws" that measured which team was best positioned to improve in 2021 the Patriots would rank #1. Not only do they rank tops amongst teams in available cap space vs players signed, but also with the most draft picks. Nobody has a better combination of these things. The reason Tampa was able to build a super team was because they had a good base of young players (New England), they had a huge wad of cash to spend (New England), all they were missing was a QB (New England) and some key pieces (wherever) along the O-Line. The Patriots have an incredible opportunity to improve next year.

Every moaning whining entitled Pat's fan should read this and try to pull their head from their ass long enough to try and understand it. The Pats aren't in cap hell, they are one and a half seasons removed from a championship with the most resources available to improve in 2021... so quit your f-ing moaning and telling us "BB sucks." No offense, but you're shortsighted entitled "fans" with zero perspective on how good you have it, even in the midst of a losing season.

Last edited:
Maybe? I said 9-7 at the start. Opt outs, general lack of playmaker on offense, I think that's a generous record. Me, personally, I didn't want Cam, but there probably weren't better options outside a trade. He had one great season outside his rookie season, and he's not a fundamentally sound QB. If we were looking for a borderline game manager, that's known more for being an athlete than a true passer, he was the guy. QB play separates a winning record from losing, and when you get lackluster QB play with almost no weapons, you're setting yourself up for failure... no matter the head coach.

This current team isn't getting more than 7 wins, after what we've seen so far.

jmt57. Awesome post. Thank you for taking the time to lay this out. As Konta said, the bill is coming due in 2020. The dead cap money strongly influenced the teams lack of options in 2020. The plethora of issues that the team has had to deal with this year is really quite laughable and there is not another team in the league that has had more shyte thrown at them over the past 10 months. I had no idea what to expect when the season started? Playoffs? 8-8 or 6-9? Who knew? The first three games likely raised expectations to a level where the all factors that you outlined so well above, were probably ignored by large segments of the fan base, including myself.
Love talking football. Thank you!

"I didn't expect them to win a ring before optouts, now they have to rely on rookies and second year players more than they did before. This is a reloading year." - Wozzy: Aug 12, 2020

Just as the original poster suggested, the Patriots had been in a win now mode in the final years before Tom's departure. They borrowed from the future to make deals happen, they only employed vet weapons until 2019 which are more expensive than rookies. They had the best defense, special teams and O-Line in the league for years running. They were paying Tom and Gronk on base deals, renegotiating incentives each year to keep them paid and the salary cap flexible. It had run it's course in the end, and the best move for both sides was to move on. Tom could go to a super team in Tampa for his best chance to win, BB could shed cap debt/dead weight in a transition season and build another franchise going forward. It was a longterm, "big picture" move to hit the reset button.

Fans here may not like it, or even understand it... but that's what it was. They can also complain all they want about BB sucking, his poor drafting yada yada... but with Cam or Stidham playing well, this would be a competitive team in the "rebuilding" year.

Not impressed? Consider what a rebuild looks like on other teams, a fire sale of all the best players to the point of reaching a one or two win season (or more seasons) and mass accumulation of draft picks. The 2020 Patriots had a chance, unfortunately both QB options fell flat on their face. Oh well... deal with it, it's (potentially) only the third season in two decades you've had to endure more than six losses. Tell it to the Bengals and Browns.

If PFF compiled a ridiculous stat like "big time throws" that measured which team was best positioned to improve in 2021 the Patriots would rank #1. Not only do they rank tops amongst teams in available cap space vs players signed, but also with the most draft picks. Nobody has a better combination of these things. The reason Tampa was able to build a super team was because they had a good base of young players (New England), they had a huge wad of cash to spend (New England), all they were missing was a QB (New England) and some key pieces (wherever) along the O-Line. The Patriots have an incredible opportunity to improve next year.

Every moaning whining entitled Pat's fan should read this and try to pull their head from their ass long enough to try and understand it. The Pats aren't in cap hell, they are one and a half seasons removed from a championship with the most resources available to improve in 2021... so quit your f-ing moaning and telling us "BB sucks." No offense, but you're shortsighted entitled "fans" with zero perspective on how good you have it, even in the midst of a losing season.
This. Times 100!!! Thank you!

Guilty of over optimism but then, I'm a Pats homah! Thought Pats would win a tight division at ~10-6. And get smoked in the playoffs.
I even thought Stid at QB (before Cam's arrival) would do OK, Matt Cassell redux.
I admit I somehow lost interest in football this pre-season and did not follow the new player acquisitions like I've done for decades. Once they started playing it was my wife wanting to watch football that re-kindled my interest. I'm such a soy boy.
Where I was pessimistic was that I thought the virus would abort the season by November. Given the near impossibility of the task the NFL despite themselves has done fairly well here.

you should try being optimistic in the throes of a 2-14 season.......you don't have a choice but to say 'next week we will win for sure'

There is often very little difference between 6-10 and10-6 teams. A bad/good call in a crucial moment. A tipped pass helping or hurting. You could probably argue that the Falcons have played better than the Bears for the majority of minutes played so far this year but because of a couple bad breaks and numerous brain farts they are sitting at 1-6 while the Bears have benefitted from some luck (Lions dropped a gimme game winning TD) and miraculous comebacks. This Pats team is probably only a few plays away from being 4-2 and will certainly need to be on the right side of things going forward if they have any chance to end up 9-7.

The media and the forum in general? Maybe. There have been quite a few of us saying 8-8, maybe 9-7 at best, once Brady left. If the team plays the way it has the last 3 weeks, though, 8-8 might be a pipe dream. Covid or no Covid, the team has not drafted well since 2013 and has had to fill those voids with veteran free agents and trades. Those cost more than rookies on a 4-5 year rookie salary. The bill has come due and the team is currently paying that bill. Their debt will be cleared this offseason and 2021 has always looked more promising than 2020.
That’s where I was. 8-8 give or take a game. The core veterans that were picked between 09 - 14 are old now. We didn’t draft well for over 5 years and the roster hasn’t been replenished with good talent. We could see this on O last year. Our skill players are the worst in the league. We lost talent on D. Take Brady out of the equation and this didn’t look like a strong team. The biggest thing going forward is to find our next franchise QB.

My read, the board wasn't that optimistic prior to September 9th. We had some anger and despair and sour grapes after Brady left, then nobody liked most of the roster beyond the secondary. and the opt outs were taken pretty badly by a lot of us.

BB was our hopeful beacon.

The first three games looked like the Pats would compete, surprisingly well, and by all precedent, should've just gotten better and better as the season went on.

So, I accuse the board with over-optimism starting just Sept 9th and ending Oct 18th.

I think people expected the WRs to be at least a little bit better than last year due to experience.

I think people expected Newton and/or Stiddham to play better than Hoyer.

I think people expected the Patriots to not be one of the 2 most affected teams by COVID19

Given those 3 things, and gaining one more yard against Seattle, and the Patriots would have been 4-0, having beaten KC and Seattle on the road.

So I don't think they were unrealistic.

With Cam at QB I felt we’d go 9-7 before the season began.

After three games and before the COVID debacle, I thought 10-6 was probable.

Now, we’d be extremely lucky to end at 8-8...

You guys don't know football. Look at this list, if it does not strike fear in you, then you know nothing about football.
Damiere Byrd Gunner Olszewski Jakobi Meyers Isaiah Zuber (PS) Mason Kinsey (PS) Kristian Wilkerson (PS)

No I definitely knew this was a possibility, in fact I specifically said that if after 6 games we go 2-4 or worse that we should consider thinking about draft position.

I left open a possibility for Belichick magic but I wasn’t really betting on it. Of course at the time we were rolling with Stidham. I honestly think we screwed ourselves with him. He probably got us two wins we wouldn’t have had with Stidham

I had them 6-10 with Hoyer/Stid and 8-8 with Cam, so...What can I say? I'm a naturally optimistic guy...

Nope; pretty much right where I expected them to be...2-4 after 6 games en route to a SB victory :cool:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back