PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're On To The Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT here: does anyone know the last time the Patriots got a pick six? It seems like forever ago.

Without google, I want to say Logan Ryan against the Jets in Jersey a few years back.

Didn’t Collins get one before his departure?

Without google, I want to say Logan Ryan against the Jets in Jersey a few years back.

About pick 6's. Call me crazy but I'm not a huge fan of pick 6's because it puts the defense right back onto the field. How many times have you seen the opposing offense get a TD right after a pick 6? I like pick, 10 yard line or so followed by a few plays and then a TD to give the defense a little rest. The Patriots had 12 interceptions this year, which is about in the middle of the pack. Would like to have seen that be larger. Also, it is important where the pick occurred. A pick on the team's own 5 yard line is worth much more than a pick in the middle of the field.

links: Patriots interceptions: Statistics

Interceptions per game (multiply by 16 to get total: NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Interceptions Thrown per Game on TeamRankings.com

You're a tough audience. :) The Pats blew Buffalo off the field in the 4Q in Week 16. They were fortunate to win but they outscored the Steelers 11-0 in the 4Q the previous week.

I just don't think the Titans are that good. The Chiefs lost Kelce and then really played way too cautiously with the lead.

The Titans really don't play that fast or that physical; they aren't the Steelers. Compared tote Bills-Jags, they play soft. No doubt the Pats cannot take them for granted but I see Tennessee starting well and then struggling to stay in the game in the second half.

TP, I don't have any issue with what you said. On the whole the Patriots did beat Buffalo relatively easily. A win is a win. And I don't want to be the absurd fan that expects, for example on offense, every possession to be a scoring drive. A receiver will run the wrong route or drop the ball, the playcall will be wrong or poorly chosen, Brady will make a bad read or a bad throw, or the opposing D just plays a good series. **** happens to the best. But to see repeated series of this happening raises, to me, a red flag that there's some soft areas that opposing teams may be able to exploit too greatly to overcome. Previously the Patriots overall have been good enough to win when 4 quarters are up even with the red flag. And if that's the way 2017 gets 3 wins? Great! But it is concerning to me.

As far as the Titans: only a handful of weeks ago I stated they were paper tigers based on their point differential alone. But this young and inexperienced team goes into KC on the playoff national TV stage and executes a pretty damn good comeback against a pretty good, and experienced, team. That's a worthy feather for that cap to consider, IMHO.

TP, I don't have any issue with what you said. On the whole the Patriots did beat Buffalo relatively easily. A win is a win. And I don't want to be the absurd fan that expects, for example on offense, every possession to be a scoring drive. A receiver will run the wrong route or drop the ball, the playcall will be wrong or poorly chosen, Brady will make a bad read or a bad throw, or the opposing D just plays a good series. **** happens to the best. But to see repeated series of this happening raises, to me, a red flag that there's some soft areas that opposing teams may be able to exploit too greatly to overcome. Previously the Patriots overall have been good enough to win when 4 quarters are up even with the red flag. And if that's the way 2017 gets 3 wins? Great! But it is concerning to me.

As far as the Titans: only a handful of weeks ago I stated they were paper tigers based on their point differential alone. But this young and inexperienced team goes into KC on the playoff national TV stage and executes a pretty damn good comeback against a pretty good, and experienced, team. That's a worthy feather for that cap to consider, IMHO.

They've certainly not been at their best the past few weeks. That said, losing to the Titans would be one of the most dissapointing ( not necessarily heartbreaking) losses in recent memory. Yeah...even worse than the Jets one.

One thing about losing JG/JB would be running the scout team. I’m sure Hoyer is fine but JG would have done a good job mimicking the mobile QB.

OT here: does anyone know the last time the Patriots got a pick six? It seems like forever ago.

The most recent one I found in the Play Index was Tavon Wilson against the Dirty Birds (gulp!) in 2013:

pick6.PNG

I'm not sure why no one is talking about but him but he is incredibly important to the defense in all areas. He has become Hightower light.

Roberts is the Kevin House (Celtics shooting guard from 2008-2010) of the Patriots. When he is on and picking gaps- look out. If he is off, sit him immediately.

Maybe as Henry is a power back and not a speedy guy. Plus if Roberts is guessing wrong he might get pulled.

Agree. Is Murray going to play?

Branch can still play when he wants to but he is near the end. I question his conditioning. Not sure what kind of shape his knee is in. Thats a question.

I think murray is playing. I remember reading he started some light training before the Chiefs game. Probably won't be 100% though.

Roberts regressed a lot since his last year. It's not even just his instincts, but he has missed a good bunch of tackles and sacks, not to mention that at 5'11''-ish, he wont be covering anyone any time soon... Next year, I wouldn't bet on him being on the roster (Langi seems to have more upside and I'm thinking we're going to draft a LB in the Draft)

About Branch: Those 300+ pound guys, once they start to slow down (he is 32 IIRC), it's reaally tough to pick up again, in addition to the injury like you said. I really don't expect anything out of him, at least this year. I actually believe Ricky Jean Francois could be the better player, at this point of their careers (PS - I think he has been playing better than expected, for a rotational guy anyway, so that was included in my reasoning)

also, sorry i can't fully get that reference, my NBA knowledge is somewhat limited :confused:

Our team had better step up its game in regards to some of the glaring issues that have plagued them over the past 4-6 weeks, especially since the competition will only get better, or they’ll likely lose in the AFCCG or SB. Anyone disputing that isn’t being honest with themselves.

The good news is that they’ve faced adversity and came out on the other side, so that could make the team much tougher in the long run. Also, they found a way to do things a bit differently which led to the emergence of a fairly potent rushing attack. One could point to that being a direct cause of the struggles in the passing game, so it’s possible that we may not have been giving Lewis quite that many reps under normal circumstances. It seems as though every year we hope for a good rushing game heading into January and now we’ve finally got one.

I think we’d all agree that a good portion of the struggles likely stemmed from some key injuries, so the prospect of getting some of those contributors back bodes well for signs of an improvement. I think that will make the passing game click again, while allowing Brady to get rid of the ball more quickly, which is always good news for Tom’s success.

The struggles in the run game are real, but again, the addition of someone like Van Noy or Branch could really improve that. I still think we’re weak in the front seven but my hope is that the addition of Harrison + the return from injuries will greatly improve that. If you’re an optimist, you can argue that the absence of some players has given fringe guys like Lee, M.Flowers some time to acclimate and get more comfortable—even despite some limitations in talent.

I still think that the secondary can play better, namely our two top corners who still look like they’re not entirely sure of themselves at times, but we know that the talent is there. The depth at the position is probably better than we’ve had in quite sometime when you factor Rowe, JJ, and even Bademosi into the equation. That said, they still can look susceptible at times, so let’s hope our big 2 come to play and that the stage doesn’t appear too big to Gilmore at a crucial moment where a major DPI call could ruin the season.

THE BOTTOM LINE (tl;dr version):

I think our chances are around 50/50, which isn’t too shabby, all things considered—especially the injuries. We benefited greatly from drawing TEN in my opinion, so that will likely set up a crucial rematch with PIT that I expect to be very difficult. If they can play to their max capabilities and win another game vs PIT, we can rest, reset, and begin 2 week preparations for the NFC opponent. While that opponent will obviously be very tough and possibly represent a historic unprecedented situation if MIN is the representative, both NO and even ATL would be difficult matchups for various reasons, too.

Beat TEN, hope for a good showing against what will likely be PIT again, and re-assess at the 2 week break. Personally, I think the AFCCG could be tougher than even going on the road in the SB (or up against the best 1-2 rushing tandem in the league + Brees) because we would have 2 weeks to prepare for the latter. Fingers crossed, but ultimately I do feel as though they have overachieved this year and were somewhat lucky to have the #1 seed. Let’s hope we can parlay that luck into another championship. Our season may depend on the return of Hogan/KVN, the potential of Harrison, and the hopeful continuation of Lewis. As always, the avoidance of injuries and a bit of luck will play a big part.

With the enormous discrepancies at the HC, OC and QB positions, combined with the general talent advantage in favor of the Patriots, this game should be such a huge Patriots blowout that the Titans reconsider the decision to bring back Mularkey. By the start of the fourth quarter, the Patriots moving on to the AFCCG should be a foregone conclusion, and Hoyer should be under center. The Titans defense simply doesn't match up to the Patriots offense, on paper, because they don't have the tools to defend against the Patriots passing attack.

But all that goes out the window if the Patriots defense can't contain the Tennessee running game, and that includes Mariota. And, as always, all bets are off if the Patriots OL doesn't show up (right, Mr. Thuney?).

Last edited:
One thing about losing JG/JB would be running the scout team. I’m sure Hoyer is fine but JG would have done a good job mimicking the mobile QB.

Most of the scout team stuff doesn't necessarily happen at full speed and for the few snaps where it does it is less about speed and more about teaching players about the right reactions / schematic things. So what you want on the scout team is not someone who can run as fast as Mariota but someone who can do exactly what Ernie's scout cards are asking him to do in terms of play.

It is not an ideal situation but not a real problem by any stretch. Otherwise they would have signed a QB on the practice squad who can move just for the week.

With the enormous discrepancies at the HC, OC and QB positions, combine with the general talent advantage in favor of the Patriots, this game should be such a huge Patriots blowout that the Titans reconsider the decision to bring back Mularkey

It is amazing how the play where Kelce got knocked out of the game could have such an impact on both the Titans and KC.

The Titans were all but ready to get rid of Mularkey and now are essentially stuck with him no matter what because the owner already gave him a job guarantee for next year.

The reality is that they will most probably waste another year of a pretty talented core to the point that whatever window they had thanks to many good players on a rookie contract and great draft day trades by Robinson might have been closed. If they are very unfortunate Josh signs with the Colts and they will not even get the coach that they wanted all along.

On the other side KC also looks to rebuild based on that loss with Smith getting shipped out because they need to clear cap space and he has a big cap charge coming up. Various coordinators are getting shuffled. I am not saying they would have been a shoe-in for the SB if they advanced but they had as good of a shot to get by us as any other AFC team.

A league of what ifs indeed..

It is possible any given (Saturday) Sunday but I believe the pats have this one barring a complete collapse on all three phases. From what I see if you can manage to limit Henry and their rushing attack then it will be favorable for the d to keep him in contain and make him make the throws.

I believe I saw a stat that has Mariota at a lower qbr when throwing in the pocket vs on the run

Was watching new Bears HC and former Chiefs OC Mike Nagy PC-

“There are scenarios when I wish I would have made some different choices with the play call,” Nagy said Tuesday as he was introduced as the new head coach in Chicago.

I really haven't seen any viewpoints on what adjustments Titans D made to hold the Chiefs scoreless in the 2nd half.

Every story bemoaned the Chiefs offensive performance but gave no credit to the Titans.

Our team had better step up its game in regards to some of the glaring issues that have plagued them over the past 4-6 weeks, especially since the competition will only get better, or they’ll likely lose in the AFCCG or SB. Anyone disputing that isn’t being honest with themselves.

The good news is that they’ve faced adversity and came out on the other side, so that could make the team much tougher in the long run. Also, they found a way to do things a bit differently which led to the emergence of a fairly potent rushing attack. One could point to that being a direct cause of the struggles in the passing game, so it’s possible that we may not have been giving Lewis quite that many reps under normal circumstances. It seems as though every year we hope for a good rushing game heading into January and now we’ve finally got one.

I think we’d all agree that a good portion of the struggles likely stemmed from some key injuries, so the prospect of getting some of those contributors back bodes well for signs of an improvement. I think that will make the passing game click again, while allowing Brady to get rid of the ball more quickly, which is always good news for Tom’s success.

The struggles in the run game are real, but again, the addition of someone like Van Noy or Branch could really improve that. I still think we’re weak in the front seven but my hope is that the addition of Harrison + the return from injuries will greatly improve that. If you’re an optimist, you can argue that the absence of some players has given fringe guys like Lee, M.Flowers some time to acclimate and get more comfortable—even despite some limitations in talent.

I still think that the secondary can play better, namely our two top corners who still look like they’re not entirely sure of themselves at times, but we know that the talent is there. The depth at the position is probably better than we’ve had in quite sometime when you factor Rowe, JJ, and even Bademosi into the equation. That said, they still can look susceptible at times, so let’s hope our big 2 come to play and that the stage doesn’t appear too big to Gilmore at a crucial moment where a major DPI call could ruin the season.

THE BOTTOM LINE (tl;dr version):

I think our chances are around 50/50, which isn’t too shabby, all things considered—especially the injuries. We benefited greatly from drawing TEN in my opinion, so that will likely set up a crucial rematch with PIT that I expect to be very difficult. If they can play to their max capabilities and win another game vs PIT, we can rest, reset, and begin 2 week preparations for the NFC opponent. While that opponent will obviously be very tough and possibly represent a historic unprecedented situation if MIN is the representative, both NO and even ATL would be difficult matchups for various reasons, too.

Beat TEN, hope for a good showing against what will likely be PIT again, and re-assess at the 2 week break. Personally, I think the AFCCG could be tougher than even going on the road in the SB (or up against the best 1-2 rushing tandem in the league + Brees) because we would have 2 weeks to prepare for the latter. Fingers crossed, but ultimately I do feel as though they have overachieved this year and were somewhat lucky to have the #1 seed. Let’s hope we can parlay that luck into another championship. Our season may depend on the return of Hogan/KVN, the potential of Harrison, and the hopeful continuation of Lewis. As always, the avoidance of injuries and a bit of luck will play a big part.

110 percent agree with this. Make no mistake: If Brady plays the way he's been playing for latter parts of the last quarter, they'll be out....quick.

Steelers have better receivers ( Due mainly to A.B & Ju Ju) and RB. That can't be argued. I wouldn't be stunned if the Patriots were no more than a four point favorite ( if that) in an AFCCG rematch.

Nonetheless, this season is all gravy for me. Sure, I want them to win a SB. Yet seven straight title games ( pending a sat win), three SB trips, and two titles in the last three seasons is quite an accomplishment, and definitely satisfies me as a fan.

In the draft, I'd like to see them take a pass rusher & slot WR to eventually replace J.E ( up there in age).

Also, it is important where the pick occurred. A pick on the team's own 5 yard line is worth much more than a pick in the middle of the field.

Nope. Every Interception ~ leaving aside Garbage Interceptions like Hail Marys and Quasi-Punts and other mitigating circumstances ~ is worth the same regardless of where it is...If you pick it off in the other Team's End Zone, you just scored a TouchDown. If you pick it off in your own End Zone, you just prevented a TouchDown. That covers both extremes on the 100 Yard spectrum.

Anything else in between both takes away Opportunity away from the Foe and creates Opportunity for your team. And there are 100 different combinations of that if you round off to each Yard ~ and again: leaving out other variables ~ with 100 combinations of Opportunity taken away and Opportunity created. But all combinations add up to same aggregate Opportunity Value. :D

Where the Pick happens actually doesn't matter.
39.gif

If I'm not mistaken, this will be the seventh consecutive Divisional Saturday game for the Patriots. I wonder if that's coincidence or they ask the league to play that day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe