PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're On To Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense was abused today. That said, they'r more than capable of shutting TB & co down. Bortles isn't as awful as we thought. Patriots got the toughest match up possible. Alas, I still believe.
I must have watched the alternate ending version of the game.

I'm content with the way the run defense is performing right now.

But the way you're posing this silly. The Pats run defense will not be matching up against the Jags run defense.

The Jags defense will have to worry about a lot more weapons, in both the passing and the running game. Whereas NE has nothing to worry about in the passing game. Bill will gameplan specifically to stop the run and make Blake Tebow beat them (he won't.)

Really? The Jags have to worry about a lot more weapons? You do realize that Bortles hit 9 different targets with passes yesterday, yes? Claiming that NE has nothing to worry about in the passing game is just you being stupid.

The Jags defense held one of the best RBs in the league to 67 yards rushing. Think about that.

No. The way you're posting is silly. You're acting like the Patriots are golden and don't have issues. Unlike you, I'm being realistic.

Typical @AndyJohnson. Make broad statements that aren't factually true.

Steelers had more completions of 40+ yards than the Patriots. (16-10)
Steelers gave up less sacks than the Patriots. (24-35)
Steelers primary running back had 3 fewer receptions and more yards than our top 2 receiving RBs combined.

Don't bother replying Andy. I have you blocked since you still haven't learned in 15 years not to talk out your butthole.
DaBruinz-

I haven't gone through the entire thread (I posted early on), so are you anticipating the Pats are going to lose this game or are you simply calling out the fans saying the Pats will destroy the Jags?

I would agree with the latter proposition as the defense is a tough matchup that traditionally gives the Pats problems, but not the former. I will leave it to BB to call them the '85 Bears or the '89 Niners at 10-6.

and they wont have poor matchups against the Patriots? Sure they scored 45 against the steelers, but how about the 10-points they only managed to score against the Bills the previous week?

The Bills defense matched up better against the Jags offense. Bills run defense is better than ours.

BTW, since you've missed it, I've been one of the ones saying it's going to be a tough game.

Really? The Jags have to worry about a lot more weapons? You do realize that Bortles hit 9 different targets with passes yesterday, yes? Claiming that NE has nothing to worry about in the passing game is just you being stupid.

The Jags defense held one of the best RBs in the league to 67 yards rushing. Think about that.

No. The way you're posting is silly. You're acting like the Patriots are golden and don't have issues. Unlike you, I'm being realistic.

atta way to sound like a jackass

bell still had >150 yards of offense

by your logic, if roethlisberger had 450 yards, Brady should go for 600

the jags could not cover VANCE MACDONALD......why don't you think for a moment before blowing your gasket

The Jags passing all over one of the weakest secondary units in the league has no bearing on this game. The 0-16 Browns abused Pittsburgh's secondary a couple of weeks prior.

Pittsburgh had 462 passing yards yesterday. Why would they bother running any more than they did when they were able to abuse them through the air? The Steelers still averaged 4.6 yards per carry.

DaBruinz-

I haven't gone through the entire thread (I posted early on), so are you anticipating the Pats are going to lose this game or are you simply calling out the fans saying the Pats will destroy the Jags?

I would agree with the latter proposition as the defense is a tough matchup that traditionally gives the Pats problems, but not the former. I will leave it to BB to call them the '85 Bears or the '89 Niners at 10-6.

I'm saying that people thinking that this isn't going to be a tough game for the Pats aren't giving the Jags enough credit.

Design plays to isolate Posluszny and our backs and feast. Kyle Shanahan showed so much film on how to exploit some of their weakness and it was a masterclass in play design and calling. Hopefully Burkhead is a go, having him, Lewis and White is such a matchup advantage for us.

Typical @AndyJohnson. Make broad statements that aren't factually true.

Steelers had more completions of 40+ yards than the Patriots. (16-10)
Steelers gave up less sacks than the Patriots. (24-35)
Steelers primary running back had 3 fewer receptions and more yards than our top 2 receiving RBs combined.

Don't bother replying Andy. I have you blocked since you still haven't learned in 15 years not to talk out your butthole.
Oh Jesus.
More yards, more points, more rushing yards, more passing yards, more yards per play, fewer turnovers.

If you have me “blocked” how are you rating my posts?
Keeping clowning dabruinz

I'm saying that people thinking that this isn't going to be a tough game for the Pats aren't giving the Jags enough credit.
People who think it will be a tough game are not giving the patriots enough credit.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I would expect it will be an ugly game to watch for more of the game than the Titans and you hope it isn't turnover happy or it could get very ugly. I would love to see the Pats blow their doors off, but I expect this will be one of those last possession games.

Steelers probably have a better offensive line and that crapped out, so the Pats line had better bring the A game or Brady may not have 2 seconds to unload the ball.

Apparently this is now "Tom Coughlin Circlejerk" week...

Oh Jesus.
More yards, more points, more rushing yards, more passing yards, more yards per play, fewer turnovers.

If you have me “blocked” how are you rating my posts?
Keeping clowning dabruinz

DaBruinz still posts here?
rofl.gif

Jax has built up stats against poor offenses and h ave had their troubles with good offenses. They have holes to exploit and who's better at that than BB?

As someone else mentioned, Tom Coughlin has beat the Pats twice in the SB. I have no doubt in my mind that Doug Marrone will review those game plans. I expect we'll see stunts and twists that will cause issues as they have in the past. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them bull-rush at Thuney since that's been his Achilles heal this year.

Ramsey and Bouye are two exceptional corners.
The LBers of Posluzny, Smith, and Jack are very good. Both Jack and Smith can cover RBs out of the backfield when asked. Will they be able to stay with White, Lewis, and Burkhead? We'll see.

The Line of Calais Campbell, Marcel Dareus, Ngakoue, and Malik Jackson are very good. People seem to have forgotten that Dareus and Jackson have both had success against the interior of the Patriots line over the years.

Do I expect that Dwayne Allen and the RBs will be asked to chip whichever DE is lined up near Fleming? Yep. That's going to put a lot of pressure on Solder to handle Campbell one-on-one.

I think people in general are being much too much a prisoner of the moment. I mean are we really going to look at a 45-42 Jags victory over the Steelers and conclude that is close to the game we are likely to have in anyway? The Jags will not be scoring 38 offensive points against us nor will we be scoring 42 offensive points against them.

I'm not saying just ignore that game entirely but that clearly has not been the usually Jags MO this year. They are a hard nosed D and average O. They is what they have been for almost every game this year and that is what I expect to see Sunday.

Are the Jags a bit overrated on D compared to their staggering stats this year? Probably. They didn't face many tough offenses. They did hold the Rams to 13 offensive points and Steelers to 9 the first time they played them but also gave up 38 offensive points to Jimmy G and 42 to the Steelers the 2nd time. Clearly there is something there to be exploited defensively but it isn't like every good offense they faced this year could do it every time. Of course the Titans put up 37 in week 2 but that is a long time ago. Still worth noting.

Is their offense complete trash? Nope. Bortles can look really bad some weeks but at times they can put up a lot of points. Also they capitalize on turnovers and short fields very well. It is also worth noting this offense when asked has always been able to deliver pretty well usually.

I think the Patriots win but it won't be our offense blowing them away putting up a 40 burger that does it cause their defense is bad. It will be that our defense keeps their fairly decent offense in check like they have with many other fairly decent offenses all year.

Early prediction... Patriots 27 Jags 17 in a game that is very hard fought.

against a good run defense.

steelers run d had been an absolute sieve the last month

Texans had 176 on 28 carries (6.3 ypc)

Pats had a 4.2 ypc average on 19 carries

Ravens had 152 on 26 carries (5.8 ypc)

Bengals had 130 on 22 carries (5.9 ypc)

Mariotta is more of a threat running than Bottles. How'd that work out?

It shows you don't know what you are talking about.

60 for 312 is not better than 57 for 322.
Thanks for playing.

I think people in general are being much too much a prisoner of the moment. I mean are we really going to look at a 45-42 Jags victory over the Steelers and conclude that is close to the game we are likely to have in anyway? The Jags will not be scoring 38 offensive points against us nor will we be scoring 42 offensive points against them.

I'm not saying just ignore that game entirely but that clearly has not been the usually Jags MO this year. They are a hard nosed D and average O. They is what they have been for almost every game this year and that is what I expect to see Sunday.

Are the Jags a bit overrated on D compared to their staggering stats this year? Probably. They didn't face many tough offenses. They did hold the Rams to 13 offensive points and Steelers to 9 the first time they played them but also gave up 38 offensive points to Jimmy G and 42 to the Steelers the 2nd time. Clearly there is something there to be exploited defensively but it isn't like every good offense they faced this year could do it every time. Of course the Titans put up 37 in week 2 but that is a long time ago. Still worth noting.

Is their offense complete trash? Nope. Bortles can look really bad some weeks but at times they can put up a lot of points. Also they capitalize on turnovers and short fields very well. It is also worth noting this offense when asked has always been able to deliver pretty well usually.

I think the Patriots win but it won't be our offense blowing them away putting up a 40 burger that does it cause their defense is bad. It will be that our defense keeps their fairly decent offense in check like they have with many other fairly decent offenses all year.

Early prediction... Patriots 27 Jags 17 in a game that is very hard fought.
The JAGS defensive reputation arguably is tainted by playing against a lot of abysmal offenses.

Bills run defense is better than ours.

What??

The two times the Pats faced them Pats had 200 yards rushing.

Here was the bills "better run defense" for the last half of the season

dolphins 22 carries 93 yards

Pats 38 carries 191 yards

dolphins 21 carries 180 yards

colts 46 carries 163 yards

Pats 35 carries 191 yards

chargers 35 carries 146 yards

saints 48 carries 298 yards

jests 41 carries 194 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes