PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well, This Sheds Some Light on IF The Offense Will Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vindicate

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I think there's a difference between a change and an adjustment. We'll see which one this represents.

“Over the last two decades, everything we did, every single decision we made in terms of major planning, was made with the idea of how to make things best for Tom Brady,” Belichick said Monday.

For everyone who gave me (and others) **** when I'd (they'd) say "Brady is the system" or "Brady is the scheme", you now have confirmation of what I was saying, from Belichick himself. I think he's coloring the picture outside the lines a bit, but the basic point is still applicable.

For everyone who gave me (and others) **** when I'd (they'd) say "Brady is the system" or "Brady is the scheme", you now have confirmation of what I was saying, from Belichick himself. I think he's coloring the picture outside the lines a bit, but the basic point is still applicable.

Well, Belichick then added: “Whoever the quarterback is, we’ll try to make things work smoothly and efficiently for that player and take advantage of his strengths and his skills.”

So really what he’s saying is, WHOEVER the QB is... Brady, Cassel, Brissett... the latter two whom he mentioned by name... that’s the system.

"Brady is the scheme"

On the other hand, Belichick's system will probably always favor QB "decision, timing, accuracy" over strength, mobility, size.

That is surprising to hear Belichick frame it like that, since he's always emphasizing "it's a team game", etc.. Almost sounds like when someone gets divorced and suddenly "everything I did was for her, man". Mm hm.

I think there's a difference between a change and an adjustment. We'll see which one this represents.

That's a fair point. It's definitely dependant on who they toss in.

When Matt Cassel started in 2008 the Pats transitioned from a pass centric offense to a rushing offense.

2007 1st pass - 2nd rush 2007 NFL OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS | Football Outsiders
2008 15th pass - 5th rush 2008 NFL OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS | Football Outsiders

Bear in mind to that the 2019 NEP passing offense was ranked 14th 2019 NFL OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS | Football Outsiders and had not been to those depths since the Matt Cassel days of 2008. When you were watching the game last season, Your eyes were not playing tricks on you if you said to yourself "Boy, this Patriots passing offense really svcks"

Foundationally, the NEP run the Erhardt-Perkins system. Certainly over the years there have been adaptations, additions and modifications.

That is not going to change. Period.

Folks might be reading too much into Bill's comments. He was broad and non-specific as usual. He could be talking about cap space, plays and/or gameplanning.

Bill and Josh will find things Stid does well and have him do as such on Sundays

One thing is clear. If Stidham can't run and execute the offense to it's potential Bill will find someone who can.

Foundationally, the NEP run the Erhardt-Perkins system. Certainly over the years there have been adaptations, additions and modifications.

That is not going to change. Period.

Folks might be reading too much into Bill's comments. He was broad and non-specific as usual. He could be talking about cap space, plays and/or gameplanning.

Bill and Josh will find things Stid does well and have him do as such on Sundays

One thing is clear. If Stidham can't run and execute the offense to it's potential Bill will find someone who can.

Is this because transition out of an offensive philosophy is next to impossible in the NFL?

Genuinely asking. Your post seems confident that it will never change, and I'm wondering what the reasoning behind that is. I'm not the most keen on X's and O's, and how a systematic overhaul looks in the NFL.

The verbiage and overall philosophy likely won't change. But you saw how different the offense was from 2001-2003, to 2007-2009, then the 2 TE's from 2010-2013, to now. Technically the "same" system.

Brady did best with a power RB runner plus a catch-receiving 3rd down back, and receivers who dominated the middle of the field for 10 yard passes. That is basically Brady's entire career. Belichick will re-staff the personnel to play to the new QB's strengths while keeping Erhardt-Perkins.

adjustment is a synonym for change....confusing

Is this because transition out of an offensive philosophy is next to impossible in the NFL?

Genuinely asking. Your post seems confident that it will never change, and I'm wondering what the reasoning behind that is. I'm not the most keen on X's and O's, and how a systematic overhaul looks in the NFL.

Link below to illustrate the differences. It really is based on philosophy, preference and understanding. Aside from terminology, plays, formations, audibles, sight-adjustments, etc, scheme influences personnel. Bill would potentially need to bring in different players to run the scheme.

Think of offensive systems as programming languages. If you have a level of comfort in a language over another one, you will use the language to build the SW product. You would need to bring in developers that know the language. Depending on the language you will have its own set of advantages and weaknesses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/every-nfl-teams-best-offensive-play/

If hes given enough time I have no doubt Bill & Josh could implement whatever the hell he wanted but Bill's offensive philosophy was shaped when he was TE &WR coach in Detroit by Ken Shipp who was OC there in 1976.

Wickersham: The wizard who tutored Belichick

Last edited:
Every good coach adapts strategies and game plans to the strengths and weaknesses of the personnel, whether you're talking about QBs, offensive linemen, running backs, safeties, or anything, really. So I don't see those comments as being particularly informative. It just indicates that we have a highly cerebral coach, rather than a Rex Ryan type.

Well, Belichick then added: “Whoever the quarterback is, we’ll try to make things work smoothly and efficiently for that player and take advantage of his strengths and his skills.”

So really what he’s saying is, WHOEVER the QB is... Brady, Cassel, Brissett... the latter two whom he mentioned by name... that’s the system.
That really isn't what he said. He said every decision was made to support Tom so that means this unprecedented success we have enjoyed is exactly because of Tom and his ability to run any type of offense BB wanted to do from the first iteration in 2001-2003 which was a rushing attack to the 2004-2009 aerial attack to the 2010 -2018 TE predicated offense.

That really isn't what he said. He said every decision was made to support Tom so that means this unprecedented success we have enjoyed is exactly because of Tom and his ability to run any type of offense BB wanted to do from the first iteration in 2001-2003 which was a rushing attack to the 2004-2009 aerial attack to the 2010 -2018 TE predicated offense.
You are close.

As you know the NEP run the Erhardt Perkins offense. See below.

Two Concepts in One: The Erhardt Perkins Playcalling Language

Bill likes it because it is flexible, adaptable and allows for matchup-based gameplans and different personnel.

As you highlight some years like 01, 04, 06, 08, 10, 12, 16 and 18 they ran the ball more than they passed. Why? Because the personnel they had influenced the playcalling. Other years they passed more b/c of personnel.

Obviously players like Troy, Dillon, Branch, Moss, Welker, Gronk, JE, the O-Line in 2018 were so dominant their gameplans and playcalling were influenced by their talent and production.

Tom was the point guard and could execute any gameplan, aspect, play of the E/P offense at a high level.

So when BB says we did everything based on Tom, it was because Tom could do anything required at a high level which allowed them to use Moss, Gronk, etc to their potential.

From a QB perspective, that is very, very rare.

You are close.

As you know the NEP run the Erhardt Perkins offense. See below.

Two Concepts in One: The Erhardt Perkins Playcalling Language

Bill likes it because it is flexible, adaptable and allows for matchup-based gameplans and different personnel.

As you highlight some years like 01, 04, 06, 08, 10, 12, 16 and 18 they ran the ball more than they passed. Why? Because the personnel they had influenced the playcalling. Other years they passed more b/c of personnel.

Obviously players like Troy, Dillon, Branch, Moss, Welker, Gronk, JE, the O-Line in 2018 were so dominant their gameplans and playcalling were influenced by their talent and production.

Tom was the point guard and could execute any gameplan, aspect, play of the E/P offense at a high level.

So when BB says we did everything based on Tom, it was because Tom could do anything required at a high level which allowed them to use Moss, Gronk, etc to their potential.

From a QB perspective, that is very, very rare.
Yes. Great insights. I have always said that BB tries to build a plug and play team which is why he signs players that are versatile so he can utilize them to do different things and create the game plan specific match-ups. He also tries to go against the flow of the league so he can get guys cheaper which is why he went with a two TE offense 10 years ago when everyone was spending like mad on outside guys. He knew the TEs would have the mis-match AND cost him considerably less. But like you said, that is all predicated on having a QB to run a plug and play team and that guy was Brady who is so cerebral and not focused on personal stats that it was a match made in heaven. We were so fortunate to have witnessed it for 2 decades and 6 championships.

That being said, I agree too with you earlier post that you wan to see how much BB moves away from this philosophy if at all. I am not sure he wants to but it may he hard to find a guy to be able to run it effectively. But I do believe BB will search until he finds that guy because it is such an advantage for him and the whole key to his team building approach.

Yes. Great insights. I have always said that BB tries to build a plug and play team which is why he signs players that are versatile so he can utilize them to do different things and create the game plan specific match-ups. He also tries to go against the flow of the league so he can get guys cheaper which is why he went with a two TE offense 10 years ago when everyone was spending like mad on outside guys. He knew the TEs would have the mis-match AND cost him considerably less. But like you said, that is all predicated on having a QB to run a plug and play team and that guy was Brady who is so cerebral and not focused on personal stats that it was a match made in heaven. We were so fortunate to have witnessed it for 2 decades and 6 championships.

That being said, I agree too with you earlier post that you wan to see how much BB moves away from this philosophy if at all. I am not sure he wants to but it may he hard to find a guy to be able to run it effectively. But I do believe BB will search until he finds that guy because it is such an advantage for him and the whole key to his team building approach.

It'll be really interesting to see how much Stid can do with what they have on offense. Right now the cupboard has a bunch of cracked plates and dirty bowls. The kid doesn't have a Dillon, Moss, Welker, Gronk, etc to go to and obviously Tom has forgotten more about executing successfully in this offense than Stid knows. I'm supremely confident they'll put Stid in the best possible position to have a chance to be successful but based on his experience and the talent on O, there is only so much he can do.

As I said earlier I think of Tom/QB as the point guard and he was basically Magic Johnson. He could run the break, half-court, rebound, score inside/outside, score 3o or set up the average player with an easy 15ft jump shot and dominate the game scoring 13 points. Tom could do anything required except run the RPO or rush for 130yds like Lamar Jackson. Play action, short, deep, intermediate, call protections, audibles...you name it.

I think Stid has some talent and can make all the throws but like Magic and Tom, their greatest strength was between the ears.

Link below to illustrate the differences. It really is based on philosophy, preference and understanding. Aside from terminology, plays, formations, audibles, sight-adjustments, etc, scheme influences personnel. Bill would potentially need to bring in different players to run the scheme.

Think of offensive systems as programming languages. If you have a level of comfort in a language over another one, you will use the language to build the SW product. You would need to bring in developers that know the language. Depending on the language you will have its own set of advantages and weaknesses.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/every-nfl-teams-best-offensive-play/

If hes given enough time I have no doubt Bill & Josh could implement whatever the hell he wanted but Bill's offensive philosophy was shaped when he was TE &WR coach in Detroit by Ken Shipp who was OC there in 1976.

Wickersham: The wizard who tutored Belichick

Hell yeah, I appreciate how informative this post was. Thanks.

It'll be really interesting to see how much Stid can do with what they have on offense. Right now the cupboard has a bunch of cracked plates and dirty bowls. The kid doesn't have a Dillon, Moss, Welker, Gronk, etc to go to and obviously Tom has forgotten more about executing successfully in this offense than Stid knows. I'm supremely confident they'll put Stid in the best possible position to have a chance to be successful but based on his experience and the talent on O, there is only so much he can do.

As I said earlier I think of Tom/QB as the point guard and he was basically Magic Johnson. He could run the break, half-court, rebound, score inside/outside, score 3o or set up the average player with an easy 15ft jump shot and dominate the game scoring 13 points. Tom could do anything required except run the RPO or rush for 130yds like Lamar Jackson. Play action, short, deep, intermediate, call protections, audibles...you name it.

I think Stid has some talent and can make all the throws but like Magic and Tom, their greatest strength was between the ears.

So while QB is obviously the biggest asset to a football team, and what you build around - obviously this fluctuates based on the personnel around them as well - such as us trying to build a strong run game in absence of receiving threats last year.

So the offensive personnel, outside of Brady (who obviously is the biggest chess piece in all of football), is relatively the same. Do we still push towards a run-focused attack? Obviously, the draft might give us hints towards their planned direction, but even if Stid does have great pocket presence and is a great passer in general, do our toys suggest we're gonna still see a heavy run approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back