PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week Two NFL Games Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a bad choice to eat McDonalds on your wedding night, kids. Gas while crossing the threshold = no bueno.

Not sure what the Seahawks have done so far to warrant inclusion in that group. Not burying them by any means, and I think they'll end up in the class of the NFL like usual, but they haven't shown it so far.

Based entirely on the first 2 weeks, I'd rank the Pats, Packers, and Cardinals as the class of the league.

The Cardinals have played two teams that are playing like crap. Seattle's standing strong, on the road, against the Packers, and they lost last week to a team that's been playing them tough for years.

Seattle may end up 0-2 after this game. but there's no question in my mind that they are a top 3 NFL team right now.

Can you be an all-time defense when you lose 4th quarter leads at the rate the Seahawks have been?

Season far from over, but Seattle's odds of going to the playoffs starting 0-2 are really decreased after this loss. Seattle has given up 60+ points in 2 games.

Things turned out good for GB.
When it wasn't looking great for GB in the third it was playing out like every other time I watched GB vs Sea. It was Wilson gouging GB with his running.
At some point GB probably should rethink how they pass rush Wilson. It's almost as if they forget he will run.

Season far from over, but Seattle's odds of going to the playoffs starting 0-2 are really decreased after this loss. Seattle has given up 60+ points in 2 games.

Seattle's next two games:

Bears
Lions

Both at home

It's only week 2 of the season, and things can obviously change over time, but I think it's pretty clear that the three best teams from last year (Patriots, Packers, Seahawks) are still the three best teams this year.

Seattle: 0-2. Their bread&butter (their defense) giving up something like 60 points so far (I bet Seattle hasn't given up 60 over a 2 game span in quite a while). Their week 1 competition, St Louis, couldn't muster more than 10 points against a weak Redskins team. Seattle was down by a full TD for a majority of the 4th quarter, never made it down in the red zone to seriously threaten to tie it up, and lost by two scores to a GB team they previously had all but owned.

Noted it is only two weeks in and, obviously, "top 3" is a subjective ranking. But from my perspective I don't see why Seattle earns a top 3 ranking right now or even earns an equal comparison to their potent team of last year.

not impressed by green bay.
brady would spread them out and tear them to pieces on a neutral field.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
The Cardinals have played two teams that are playing like crap. Seattle's standing strong, on the road, against the Packers, and they lost last week to a team that's been playing them tough for years.

Seattle may end up 0-2 after this game. but there's no question in my mind that they are a top 3 NFL team right now.

Or maybe they're playing like crap because they've had to play the Cardinals and the Cardinals are really good. Hard to separate the two when you're dealing with a sample size of two weeks.

Or maybe they're playing like crap because they've had to play the Cardinals and the Cardinals are really good. Hard to separate the two when you're dealing with a sample size of two weeks.

Saints last year: 7-9
Saints this year: 0-2

Bears last year: 5-11
Bears this year: 0-2

It's not really just a two week sample size and, while both Bears losses have been against quality teams, the Saints just lost to the Bucs, at home.

Saints last year: 7-9
Saints this year: 0-2

Bears last year: 5-11
Bears this year: 0-2

It's not really just a two week sample size and, while both Bears losses have been against quality teams, the Saints just lost to the Bucs, at home.

Last year is last year, it can't be taken at 100% face value because we see every year that just because a team was good (or bad) last year doesn't mean that's still the case. Things change. And if you're going to hold losing to give the Seahawks a pass for losing to the Rams, you have to give the Saints a pass for losing to the Bucs. Divisional games are weird.

So we can either grant some weird mulligan for divisional opponents or we can not. And if we don't, losing to the Rams is pretty damning, considering that they were 6-10 last year and lost to a Desean Jackson-less Redskins today. I'm fine with brushing off divisional losses, and I'm fine with not doing that, as long as we're consistent with it.

Either way, I'm taking the team that's crushed two mediocre-to-bad opponents over the team that's lost twice, once to a really good team and once to a generally bad divisional opponent. And records aside, the Seahawks have looked bad. They can't run the ball (missing Unger), they aren't using Jimmy Graham at all, they're exposed over the middle of the field , none of their receivers are any good, the vaunted depth that they used to have on the DL is gone, KJ Wright is a trainwreck, etc. etc. They just don't look good so far. I'm sure they'll rebound, but so far they're crap.

Last edited:
Divisional game, weird stuff happens. By the same logic, one of the teams the Seahawks lost to went 6-10 last year and lost to a Desean Jackson-less Redskins today. Seattle's lost to a bad divisional opponent too.

Either way, I'm taking the team that's crushed to mediocre-to-bad opponents over the team that's lost twice, once to a really good team and once to a generally bad divisional opponent.

That's fine. I'm taking the team that's been the best team in the NFC for the past two seasons, and I'm pointing to your inconsistent approach with regards to the divisional games as an example of confirmation bias.

In the end, we're obviously seeing the two teams differently, and there's not going to be any meeting of the minds on this.

Seattle isn't the same without chancellor. I know that's stating the obvious but you think their GM would realize it and pay him what he wants before their season fades away.

That's fine. I'm taking the team that's been the best team in the NFC for the past two seasons, and I'm pointing to your hypocrisy with regards to divisional games as an example of confirmation bias.

In the end, we're obviously seeing the two teams differently, and there's not going to be any meeting of the minds on this.

What hypocrisy? I'm fine with giving teams a pass for divisional losses, but if you're going to give the Seahawks a pass then you have to give the Saints a pass too. And the Cardinals team that I'm backing has been among the best in the league when Carson Palmer's been healthy. They were better than Seattle last year until they got stuck with Lindley at QB, and the same is true so far this year.

What hypocrisy?

I'd originally worded that too strongly, when I didn't mean it in a particularly negative way. I edited it but, unfortunately, not before you began replying. However, saying "division games, weird stuff happens" to excuse the Saints, while not extending that to Seattle, was a good example of confirmation bias. "Weird stuff happens" certainly applied to that Seahawks/Rams game, after all, and the Rams have been playing tough against the Seahawks in much the same way that the Jets have been playing tough against the Patriots. The Rams split with Seattle last year, for example.

Teams have a tendency to go on a bit of a downward trend after losing big games to NE.

Thinking about the Jets/Colts game, the match ups definitely favor the Jets. They can run the ball and they have a good defense. They have the formula to beat the Colts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Indy go 0-2.

Last edited:
I can't pull for anyone here. I realy really can't.

Curious to see who people are going to be routing for in the Colt Jet game.... I really hate both teams and don't usually like watching games where I can't stand either team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes