PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 5 Thursday Night Football - Minnesota Vikings at Green Bay Packers

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Thursday Night Football
Minnesota Vikings (2-2) at Green Bay Packers (2-2)
8:25 pm ET, October 2, 2014
Lambeau Field, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Airs on CBS and NFL Network
Packers favored by 8½

Minnesota Defense versus Green Bay Offense

Last week against Chicago the Packers scored on each of their first six possessions, as Aaron Rodgers threw for 302 yards and four touchdowns. Randall Cobb caught seven passes for 113 yards and two touchdowns, and Jordy Nelson had ten receptions for 108 yards and two touchdowns as well. Green Bay does not run the ball well – Eddy Lacy is averaging just 3.0 yards per carry – but that doesn’t really matter with a Packers passing game that ic clicking on all cylinders.

Green Bay Defense versus Minnesota Offense

The Packers are allowing a whopping 176 yards rushing per game, which is nearly twenty more yards than other other club. This is the Vikings strength, and their best hope to win this game. Minnesota averages 135 yards rushing per game (6th) and 4.6 yards per carry (8th), with the thunder of 234 pound Matt Asiota (270 yards from scrimmage, four touchdowns) and the lightning of third-down back Jerrick McKinnon (152 yards from scrimmage on 18 carries and one reception last week). If Green Bay stacks the box to stop the run, that leaves Cordarrelle Patterson and Greg Jennings out wide – though if it’s Christian Ponder passing the football, that may no be a bad strategy.

Special Teams and Intangibles

Football Outsiders ranks Green Bay’s special teams 5th (+2.1%) while Minnesota is 12th (+1.4%). The Packers do better on punt returns (allowing a net of 40.6 per punt, versus 43.0 for the Vikings), but that’s pretty much a wash. Two other factors to consider though: first, the weather. It is expected to rain, and Aaron Rodgers plays well in cold or snow, but rain effects him more than it does most quarterbacks. Second is the short week for a road team on Thursday night; even though this is a short trip, Thursday night games historically favor the home team by far more than the standard three-point spread. Third, both teams are coming off much needed, big dramatic victories. The Packers are used to winning big games, and therefore are less likely to suffer as much of a letdown than the Vikings (who are coming off a five-win season) are.

Injuries
Starters or players that receive significant snaps are in bold.

Minnesota Vikings
OUT
TE Kyle Rudolph (abdomen/groin)
LB Chad Greenway (hand/rib)

QUESTIONABLE
QB Teddy Bridgewater (ankle)

PROBABLE
FB Jerome Felton (knee)
CB Captain Munnerlyn (illness)
RB Jerrick McKinnon (ankle)
CB Josh Robinson (hamstring)
LB Michael Mauti (foot)
WR Rodney Smith (hamstring)
LB Brandon Watts (knee)

Green Bay Packers
OUT
WR Jarrett Boykin (groin)

DOUBTFUL
LB Sam Barrington (hamstring)
DT Josh Boyd (knee)

PROBABLE
LB Brad Jones (quadriceps)
RG T.J. Lang (not injury-related)
OLB Clay Matthews (groin)
OLB Mike Neal (hip)

Prediction

Football is the ultimate team sport, but if Christian Ponder has to be the Minnesota quarterback, then I’m placing all my chips on Aaron Rodgers. Even if Bridgewater does go, he’ll be less than 100 percent. Despite Rodgers’ past struggles in wet weather, I’m going with Green Bay to win and cover a relatively large spread; Minnesota will be denied their third upset of the season.

Pick • Packers 27, Vikings 13
Packers -8½

Sucks no Teddy Bridgewater tonight was looking forward to seeing him. Packers d is bad maybe they can make Christian Ponder look like a real quarterback...

Was also excited to see Bridgewater. I want to see McKinnon though. College option QB/combine freak, Vikings may have their AP replacement.

Man would it be nice to see the cheese heads crying at the end of the night. Fans are so annoying.

Bridgewater screwed me out of some money last week so I kinda hate him already. I also have a dislike for Matt Asiata.

Rodgers is a respectable QB and fun to watch so I'll be pulling for them I guess

Yep I assume I'm like many, my interest went to 0 when it was reported Bridgewater wasnt playing. Also I cant stomach Nantz performing verbal fellatio on Rodgers.

I'm not so sure Lacey is that good. His YPC isn't that impressive.

At least they aren't playing Joe Webb. That was just ****ing embarrassing. They handed Packers that game. I don't think Ponder was even that badly hurt from what I remember.

another blowout Thursday night? yup

The only non blowout might be the pats-jets game...

Love football...I don't care who's playing.

where's everybody???...oh wait...the rats jumped ship, eh?

Lacey running downhill...

"great gaps!"....heh yes, great gaps everywhere

well this is over but i will still watch until half

Toush-a-down!!! Cobb salad

I think gb is gonna shred the vikings
30-17 is my guess

They REALLY need to dump Thursday games. Non competitive crap games in part due to such a short week. Just bad football all around to watch....but turd face is all about that $$ son

Why can't we make it that easy? :(

And wow, 6 TD catches already for Cobb?!

why can WE get QB's and RB's like this????

30-17 is my guess

They REALLY need to dump Thursday games. Non competitive crap games in part due to such a short week. Just bad football all around to watch....but turd face is all about that $$ son
They need to do what that poster (can't remember who it was) suggested where you sort of add another bye week, you don't play the Sunday before and after a Thursday night game.

wide open and ponder throws to jenny dell on the sidelines....awesome

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back