PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Week 5 NFL games discussion

Woke up to hear and watch the Dak injury... Holy hell man, what a freaking luck to him... I hope he recovers well and soon.

This season feels wrong man, games are sloppier, guys getting injured all the time (it does feel like the number of injuries has increased, but i wont do the research...) plus, you know, covid and all the people who r getting ****ed and rich by it.

In New England we dont see it, but it must feel AWFUL for all those coaches who got fired this season (regardless if they deserved it long ago or not). THIS was their last season in the NFL, most likely....

I was excited for the season too, tbh

Man, we haven’t hit gold at WR in years...
Seattle has been solid with their WR core and Wilson has been playing out of his mind this year.
The guy is having an MVP type of season barring injuries.

I hate that we took Harry over DK...now that guy is a beast, Harry needs to really start playing better overall and needs to make an impact. So far he gets lost on this team.

At times I think our scouting and coaching staff sucks at developing WRs.
Welled and Jules were the only ones that I can think of in recent years
Gronk was a skilled player coming out of college and obviously a beast at tight end.
I am disappointed at our WR core other than JE11.
Byrd has been playing better than Harry.

Im mad that the Steelers found yet ANOTHER ****ing good WR in Chase Claypool.

I am reaaaallly trying to not get bummed about our WR group bc they'r all young and this season is early, etc etc

but holy hell dude

how can some team get ANNUAL talent on their WR core through the Draft and we get no value, year after year.

I dont recall who tweeted a page of the Pats Playbook recently to show it but .... i get it, its hard, but dude, Its not rocket science, you cant blame it solely for the reason we cannot find one GOOD WR in *EDIT 10 years outside of converted QBs. Gronk, GRONK!, our best drafted Target, was able to figure our playbook out and master it so you know, it can be done....

To me, the biggest dent on the Patriots coaching with BB is their inability to DRAFT and DEVELOP good WRs. I dont know if its scouting or coaching to blame the most, but yeah, this fall on the hands of the God under the Hoodie himself.

LETS GO HARRY, PLEASE SHUT ME UP. BECOME A GOD!

Last edited:
Im mad that the Steelers found yet ANOTHER ****ing good WR in Chase Claypool.
Why?

Pittsburgh is best in the NFL at finding WRs in the draft. They drafted AB and Emanuel Sanders in the same year. Im more shocked that JuJu Smith has fallen off the cliff because he was unstoppable a few years ago and that Johnson and Washington really havent panned out.

The franchise tag is a death sentence.

Prescotts injury is so severe that he may never be the same again.

The franchise tag is a death sentence.

Prescotts injury is so severe that he may never be the same again.

Gordon hawyard still isnt. he probably had his best year since the injury this year averaging 17ppg but still wasnt the same guy he was prior.

IDK if its different for NFL vs NBA since its a different sport and guys are cutting more. But this could be a long road back for Dak. and the mental aspect is going to be the toughest once he gets back on the field and has guys hitting him

Man, we haven’t hit gold at WR in years...
Seattle has been solid with their WR core and Wilson has been playing out of his mind this year.
The guy is having an MVP type of season barring injuries.

I hate that we took Harry over DK...now that guy is a beast, Harry needs to really start playing better overall and needs to make an impact. So far he gets lost on this team.

At times I think our scouting and coaching staff sucks at developing WRs.
Welled and Jules were the only ones that I can think of in recent years
Gronk was a skilled player coming out of college and obviously a beast at tight end.
I am disappointed at our WR core other than JE11.
Byrd has been playing better than Harry.

I guess those 6 Superbowls wins aren't satisfying enough!! I'm sure Seattle fans would trade places with us any day of the week.

Why?

Pittsburgh is best in the NFL at finding WRs in the draft. They drafted AB and Emanuel Sanders in the same year. Im more shocked that JuJu Smith has fallen off the cliff because he was unstoppable a few years ago and that Johnson and Washington really havent panned out.
AB and Sanders was a decade ago and they're long gone. Since then the Steelers haven't been that impressive picking WR's, it was mostly perception based on that 2010 draft and good passing offense with Ben. JuJu is a 2 or 3 at best, he failed when they needed him to be the 1. Every other WR on that team is blah. Claypool is the first real talent they've drafted in a decade, I was screaming at the TV on draft day for BB to grab him.

Not sure why Zimmer went for it on 4th and 1 instead of just kicking a chip shot field goal with a 5-point lead but he cost his team a hard-fought victory.

Not sure why Zimmer went for it on 4th and 1 instead of just kicking a chip shot field goal with a 5-point lead but he cost his team a hard-fought victory.

At worst the game would have gone to OT. Zimmer is another coach that every year should be on the hot seat...but he does just enough to skate by.

Why?

Cause I wanna!

im not that mad, its just sad that was the position I used to play and i have a deeper connection to it, i guess.

He made a really dumb decision. Can you imagine being on that flight home with the Vikings?

Zimmer is an idiot. If you are going to go for it just GO FOR IT. He called a time out. It gave the defense a chance to recover. They were on the ropes! I respect Wilson but am on Pete Carrol and Seahawks overload. Cam should have beaten them! It would have been nice to see both The Chefs and Seattle lose yesterday. I guess I'll have to root for the Titans on TUESDAY??

That's rough. Out for the season and probably has cost him leverage for the next contract. **** that reptile, Jerruh
Andrew Brandt saved me a lot of typing...

Doubt he lost any leverage. As ugly as it was, broken bones heal. The Cowboys face the same old dilemma, sign him for big bucks or let him go onto the free agency market and watch some other team win with him while they roll with the Andy Daltons of this world. Dalton pulled one out against the lowly Giants. I suspect by the end of the season Jerrah will be longing for the good old days with Dak as QB.

Andrew Brandt saved me a lot of typing...

Doubt he lost any leverage. As ugly as it was, broken bones heal. The Cowboys face the same old dilemma, sign him for big bucks or let him go onto the free agency market and watch some other team win with him while they roll with the Andy Daltons of this world. Dalton pulled one out against the lowly Giants. I suspect by the end of the season Jerrah will be longing for the good old days with Dak as QB.

Any GM, if he is any good at all, will be using that as a leverage to drive down the cost of the contract. They'll claim (without merit, of course) that Dak will never be 100% after suffering a compound fracture.

That's just how cutthroat the NFL is, always has been.

Any GM, if he is any good at all, will be using that as a leverage to drive down the cost of the contract. They'll claim (without merit, of course) that Dak will never be 100% after suffering a compound fracture.

And Dak will say bones heal, pay me $34M or better in a long term deal or let me go while you enjoy another season of Andy Dalton.

Jerrah really has not much leverage other than saying 'so you really want to play for the jete then?'.

Dak can always say 'the jete money spends just as well as anyone else's does'.

Yes, it will get ugly.

And Dak will say bones heal, pay me $34M or better in a long term deal or let me go while you enjoy another season of Andy Dalton.

Jerrah really has not much leverage other than saying 'so you really want to play for the jete then?'.

Dak can always say 'the jete money spends just as well as anyone else's does'.

Yes, it will get ugly.

Imma gonna just say that now, its pretty much differing opinions, ok? U r both right.

it literally needs only one agent to drive the price up, but everybody also knows that Dak is somewhat of a lemon

Bill Barnwell's take on Dak's contract situation:
The franchise's three choices on what to do with Prescott also haven't changed. The Cowboys could let him leave and hit unrestricted free agency. If that happens, they would not get direct compensation, though they would likely collect a third-round compensatory pick in the 2022 draft if they didn't sign a similarly expensive player in free agency. They could also sign him to a contract extension, something they've tried and failed to do the past two offseasons.

The most likely outcome both before and after the injury is the third option: a second franchise tag. The Cowboys can offer Prescott another one-year deal, with this one guaranteeing the Mississippi State product $37.7 million for the 2021 season. The move would amount to a $6.3 million raise, but with the cap set to drop from $198.2 million in 2020 to $175 million as a result of the hit in local revenues, the team would feel the pinch of a second tag even more. Prescott currently takes up 14.4% of Dallas' cap space, but he would be in line to take up something closer to 18.9% next year. With a $175 million cap, $37.7 million is the equivalent of paying Prescott something close to $42.7 million on this year's cap.
He goes on to suggest the current situation might even make a 2nd franchise tag more likely than before: Jerrah may be less willing to bet in the long term future of Dak, and Dak may be happy to get another year to prove he's worth a long term deal. Interestingly enough the franchise tag contract is fully guaranteed against injury. So he got $34.1M for this year and is looking at a likely $37.7M for next year. It's not a bad place to be.

Imma gonna just say that now, its pretty much differing opinions, ok? U r both right.

it literally needs only one agent to drive the price up, but everybody also knows that Dak is somewhat of a lemon
He may not be Patrick Mahomes but he's also not Kirk Cousins, but you can look up what Kirk makes, or Wentz, etc.

Basically he's making top-10 starting QB money on an annual basis with much more freedom than the others are getting:

If he gets the $37.7 franchise tag money next year from Dallas he'll be getting top-3 money with the prospect of getting another franchise tag and #1 money or a trip to free agency the following season.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back