PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Week 5 NFL games discussion

That sf game in 2 weeks looks much more winnable now. Not sure if theyll still be decimated but clearly bosa is a huge loss, not the same team as last year. But that rams game is looking tougher than first thought.

At worst the game would have gone to OT. Zimmer is another coach that every year should be on the hot seat...but he does just enough to skate by.
When they turned it over on downs I knew that the Hawks were going to score.

The Vikings are the Chargers of the NFC.

I disagree with Brandt that Dak didn't lose leverage. If the Cowboys truly believed he was their Franchise QB, he would've been signed to an extension long ago. The fact they let this linger on is not a good sign they really believe in Dak. Now he has a broken ankle which there's no guarantee that will heal and he'll be the same player (which Dallas will use against him).

Dak got too greedy, overinflated his worth and wanted less years (4) and Dallas wanted 5 to probably spread the money out. Some of these players, like Dak, take for granted that to be the "QB of the Dallas Cowboys" is a brand in itself and going somewhere else will not get you the same exposure and other endorsement opportunities. Like last year, Dak will cave and sign whatever Dallas gives him. They have him by the balls now.

He may not be Patrick Mahomes but he's also not Kirk Cousins, but you can look up what Kirk makes, or Wentz, etc.

Basically he's making top-10 starting QB money on an annual basis with much more freedom than the others are getting:

If he gets the $37.7 franchise tag money next year from Dallas he'll be getting top-3 money with the prospect of getting another franchise tag and #1 money or a trip to free agency the following season.
Niice info and i agree with you, wholeheartedly.

In the end, he can absolutely make bank as soon as he is healed. even If Dallas doesnt thinks he's worth the FT (and I really cant have an opinion before seeing the future context of the league...), the threat of him being that valuable is enough to skyrocket his earnings.

Here's full line of thinking, on why Im just bummed about him (i dont doubt u r too, btw :rofl: )... He was looking for absolute Top Dollar, so he was working for it, right? Must suck to have it over, Even if Jerruh did his thang, he would for certain get paid top dollar next year (i think), even with the supposed shrinkage of cap.

I disagree with Brandt that Dak didn't lose leverage. If the Cowboys truly believed he was their Franchise QB, he would've been signed to an extension long ago. The fact they let this linger on is not a good sign they really believe in Dak. Now he has a broken ankle which there's no guarantee that will heal and he'll be the same player (which Dallas will use against him).

Dak got too greedy, overinflated his worth and wanted less years (4) and Dallas wanted 5 to probably spread the money out. Some of these players, like Dak, take for granted that to be the "QB of the Dallas Cowboys" is a brand in itself and going somewhere else will not get you the same exposure and other endorsement opportunities. Like last year, Dak will cave and sign whatever Dallas gives him. They have him by the balls now.
I suppose, but now we have this:

My thought is at worst he ends up with the same deal he didn't sign last year. He gambled he could get a Mahomes or better deal if he had a great season and stayed healthy. He was on track for the first (he literally set the record for passing yards for the first four games of any season) but of course now he is not for the second.

I suppose, but now we have this:

My thought is at worst he ends up with the same deal he didn't sign last year. He gambled he could get a Mahomes or better deal if he had a great season and stayed healthy. He was on track for the first (he literally set the record for passing yards for the first four games of any season) but of course now he is not for the second.

It would be bad PR for the Cowboys to say, "we're moving on from Dak". Lol.

Dak was delusional then and he would be now to think he's getting anything close to Mahomes who broke records and won a Super Bowl. Dak throws for empty yards, is behind most games and pads his stats in the 2nd half when Dallas is playing catch up. A Franchise QB keeps his team in games no matter how bad his defense is. This is a perfect example of how stats are deceiving.

If I'm not mistaken, he's got one playoff win and has only made it to the playoffs twice since taking over for Romo.

Dallas has all the leverage in this. They weren't winning with him and they can use that against him as well. In fact, no matter how bad the Cowboys are, they are still "America's team". So losing Dak is not a big deal.

Dak didn't get "too greedy." He doesn't handle his own negotiations. He has an agent to do that.

It was actually the reptile, Jerruh who opened his yap and said that Dak was worth two first round picks, so Dak's agent took him to task over that.

But negotiations actually broke down because Dak's camp didn't want a 5 year deal, they wanted 4 so that it would end in 2022 which is when most TV deals expire.

I don’t think investing in Dak is a good idea. I didn’t think it was smart money BEFORE the injury. Video game stats at times this year. Very little winning when it counts in his career. I don’t see that changing.

just saw the last seattle drive on highlights. it was great but really it was about wilson missing 2-3 downs and then finding metcalf more than once.. not exactly surgical. but thats just me. I dont know how they didnt double metcalf at all.

Dak didn't get "too greedy." He doesn't handle his own negotiations. He has an agent to do that.

It was actually the reptile, Jerruh who opened his yap and said that Dak was worth two first round picks, so Dak's agent took him to task over that.

But negotiations actually broke down because Dak's camp didn't want a 5 year deal, they wanted 4 so that it would end in 2022 which is when most TV deals expire.
It always comes down to what the client wants. The Agent does not call the shots so that's not an excuse for Dak.

Dak (or his Agent) wants 4 years so he can cash in again on another deal. He (or his Agent) also wanted $45M in his last year of the new potential deal. They're f***ing delusional.

Dallas has been playing this perfectly just like Washington did with Kirk Cousins. They were both waiting for either player to show they were worthy of a long term deal (going deep in the playoffs) and neither have been able to do it.

Dak will be lucky if he's even Franchised because Dallas doesn't even need to do that. If Cam had a prove it deal, Dak better be prepared for that.

What leverage does Dak have? If they don't sign him, they'll lose? They're already doing that.

Justin Herbert - Keenan Allen combo looking good in MNF.

Herbert was able to move under pressure, Allen used his size to block out the defender.

Last edited:
Allen hurt- not sure what the problem is

Herbert is an absolute stud. Can’t wait till we get a look at him in LA.

This Herbert kid is really blowing up right now.

Nice bounceback from last week.

This Herbert kid is really blowing up right now.

Nice bounceback from last week.
I think his performance last week was a moral victory. He lost Ekeler early in the game, his weak OL kept him on the run all game and he played through it.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Why aren't the dumbass chargers flooding the middle? Dare Brees to throw over the top. No more of that cover 2 crap.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back