PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread Week 4 discussion: Pats @ Cowboys

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cowbums with Prescott under center have performed much better at home than they have on the road, their week 1 win at the Vagiants notwithstanding. Mac & the offensive coaches better be trying to figure out a way to somehow score 27 points, because I don't think our defense will be able to hold them to < 24 down there.
Agreed. This is a game the offense has to figure it out before halftime. We need 24+ to win this.

I think they had a let down vs the Cards. I kind of wished they won as they will be dialed in for us to right the ship.

FWIW, both Bedard and Chris Simms watched the Cowboys/Cards game film and feel it is more of the Cards OC exploiting some weaknesses and using the Cowboys’ aggressive defense against them. It is two guys opinions, but that is what they saw. Not saying the Pats can do the same thing.

An optimistic view of Sunday's game.

1 Who you play can determine what you stats will be short term. In our first 3 games we faced 2 elite defenses and the best offense in the league. The Pats held the Miami offense to 250 yds in the air and under 375 total. They were well over 550 in their other 2 games. We have one of the better pass defenses DESPITE playing without our top 2 CB's for most of the season (Jack and Jon Jones and then losing Marcus for the foreseeable future

Now hopefully we will get Jon back for this game (limited means likely to play) and Jack the week after. Having Gonzo and Jack as the boundary CB's with Joh in the slot will allow the Pats to be VERY creative with the other 8 players. Hopefully we will see SOME of this on Sunday.

2, By the same token the Cowboys are likely to have back 2 of their 3 OLmen they lost last week. By a similar token the Cowboys have lost their top CB, yet still will have the top defense for creating pressure in the league. We it seems are at the polar opposite by having the worst pass protection. We all understand why this happened, but the fact is that regardless of how bad it is statistically, it HAS gotten marginally better each week.

This will be the 3rd week where Brown, Strange Andrews and Owenu have been together (I'm assuming Strange will play since he is listed as limited) AND there is hope that Lowe can be at least "competent" as the RT. I don't see it being at its best for at least a couple of more weeks, but I DO expect it to be be "better" 3 sacks or less would be acceptable, and less would be better.

If I were the Cowboys I would look to attack Lowe as he is a much easier target than Brown who had a great game against the Jets. We can negate some of this by having PBrown aligning at TE to that side. Chips and flat out blocking can limit that pass rush. Being solid in the run game will also help. The Pats need to grind out 125+ yds in rushing to keep the 'boys honest and to that end I'd rather attack the off T hole more than the runs up the middle.

Bottom line- the Cowboys D is based on speed and quickness, they are susceptible to a power running attack and that's what we do best.

3. I'd like to see some true RPO's where the QB is reading the LOS and has the option to give it to the RB OR taking it out to throw. When we throw standard play action passes I want to see a much better mesh between the RB and QB. The fakes we saw last week were a joke and fooled no one

4 If this game was at Gillette I'd be all over it, but its not and Dallas will have a distinct home field advantage. This is a team that needs to be mentally disciplined if they are going to win. It hasn't been perfect, but its been better by the game. Lets see if that continues.

5. And finally they HAVE to turn the ball over, at least twice if they are going to win

Dak Prescott vs. Mac Jones Matchup​

Dak Prescott2023 StatsMac Jones
3Games Played3
67.6%Completion %64.8%
647 (215.7)Passing Yards (Per Game)748 (249.3)
3Touchdowns5
1Interceptions2
44 (14.7)Rushing Yards (Per game)53 (17.7)
0Rushing Touchdowns0

Yeah, I think you are highlighting a different thing here. The Cowboys obviously have put up points and the Patriots need to put up more. What I was highlighting was red zone efficiency. The Patriots need to get into the red zone more often, but at least when they have, they've been good. The Cowboys have not been good in the red zone, but they've gotten there plenty.

So how many points per red zone attempt is considered good? How many are considered not good?

I really want to see us pressure Dallas and not do what we did vs Miami and let them have everything short in order to prevent the big plays. I do think our defense can force Dak into some bad throws but that won't happen if we leave the flat open as he will hit Gallup and Lamb all day and let them get YAC after the catch.

FWIW, both Bedard and Chris Simms watched the Cowboys/Cards game film and feel it is more of the Cards OC exploiting some weaknesses and using the Cowboys’ aggressive defense against them. It is two guys opinions, but that is what they saw. Not saying the Pats can do the same thing.
That's encouraging. You know if there is anything on tape, Bill will be over it.

Breer saying what we all know this am on 98.5....that the Pats need to slow the game down, run the ball, can't fall behind...Breer said if the Pats get down 10-0 in the first quarter it's game ovah because then Parsons, Lawrence etc will get to pin their ears back.
Breer isn't breaking news here. The Patriots offense has been woeful the first three games. There is zero improvement in ppg over last season w Fat Matt. Last year was 50 through three games, this year is 50 through three games.
If Bill the Coach's defense is as good as everyone says, then Sunday is the time to show up and prove it. They need to hold Dallas to 20 or under to give Bill the Coach's pop gun, Bldg 19 offense a chance This could/should be a statement game. There are no moral victories in 1-3.

Mike McCarthy talks about Red Zone trips.

Cowboys News: Stealing signals, delaying the inevitable, and return of the chosen one

“The most important thing is that we’re getting down there more than anybody,” coach Mike McCarthy said “We lead the league in 10-plus drives, so we’re moving the ball. That’s the hard part. We have some strong feelings that we’re not going to talk about in here (publicly) on things we can improve on.”

In fairness, this isn’t exactly a one-game overreaction. In Week 2 against the New York Jets, the Cowboys were 2 for 6 in the red zone, something quarterback Dak Prescott even lamented on after that game. It just wasn’t a big talking point because the team won big, and as the saying goes, winning is the greatest deodorant.

Cowboys Jayron Kearse:

“We don’t really care what New England does,” Kearse told reporters, per the team. “We play our football, we’re going to stop anything. It’s not really about what New England does.

“We hope they turn that (Cardinals) tape on and think that’s the same thing they’re getting. They’re not getting nothing close to that.”

Breer saying what we all know this am on 98.5....that the Pats need to slow the game down, run the ball, can't fall behind...Breer said if the Pats get down 10-0 in the first quarter it's game ovah because then Parsons, Lawrence etc will get to pin their ears back.
Breer isn't breaking news here. The Patriots offense has been woeful the first three games. There is zero improvement in ppg over last season w Fat Matt. Last year was 50 through three games, this year is 50 through three games.
If Bill the Coach's defense is as good as everyone says, then Sunday is the time to show up and prove it. They need to hold Dallas to 20 or under to give Bill the Coach's pop gun, Bldg 19 offense a chance This could/should be a statement game. There are no moral victories in 1-3.
Ive seen this argument before. Did they play the first three games last year against the same oppents and in the same weather conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST