PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 17: On to the Jete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably one more CB than I expected. I’m not sure if that says more about the status of JC Jackson or Slater/Bethel (all three questionable).

Are they putting three guys on IR and then pulling up Berry, Maluia and Jackson to the 53 to protect them from being poached off the practice squad by a playoff team? If true, that means the team likes these guys for 2021.

Are they putting three guys on IR and then pulling up Berry, Maluia and Jackson to the 53 to protect them from being poached off the practice squad by a playoff team? If true, that means the team likes these guys for 2021.
Possibly, I hadn't thought about that angle. Great point.

I was thinking it was a combination of just making sure they had enough bodies for the game, plus giving those three a year end bonus via a nicer paycheck this week.

As soon as the season ends teams that missed the playoffs sign practice squad players to Futures Contracts, which prevents another team from swooping in and poaching them. Since these guys will finish on the 53, they are now under contract through the end of the league year and don't have to be signed to a Futures before somebody else swoops in.

Possibly, I hadn't thought about that angle. Great point.

I was thinking it was a combination of just making sure they had enough bodies for the game, plus giving those three a year end bonus via a nicer paycheck this week.

As soon as the season ends teams that missed the playoffs sign practice squad players to Futures Contracts, which prevents another team from swooping in and poaching them. Since these guys will finish on the 53, they are now under contract through the end of the league year and don't have to be signed to a Futures before somebody else swoops in.

Berry's Pro Day said he is 6'3" & 263 lbs. and the rumor was he will convert to OLB - maybe with an offseason of conditioning he will be able to set the edge next year - BB is very good at identifying the athleticism and converting guys. If they are protecting Berry that is a good sign. They moved Harris to out so they wanted a 3rd spot to protect all three.

Hoping for a LB and Dlineman in free agency and DT and Dlineman in the draft. Should have Thor back at DT next year too. Hopefully Hightower and Guy are back (maybe Butler), plus the kids will be a lot better. A real defensive front 7 would be amazing, especially if it is mostly a young group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back