PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 17: NFL Other Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were forced into it by the players and coaches. Forced into it.
Really surprised that the NFL had not prepared an emergency plan in the event of a critical injury like this.
It was very awkwardly handled regarding the "5 minutes to warm up" announcement. I believe they should have had contingency plans and communication mapped out. It is surprising that an incident like this has not happened before given the violent nature of the hits.

Fortunately, Damar received immediate defibrillation and CPR which can make the difference between life and death or between return to normal or brain damage. The duration of time without blood flow to the heart and brain is critical. It seems like the treatment in this situation may have been ideal in terms of speed of initiation. If its true his vitals are back to normal...I am hopeful that he has a shot at recovering with full capacity.
However, in the case of cardiac arrest nothing is guaranteed.

That would've put him out instantly according to other places I've seen mention this. He was "ok" for about 5 seconds prior to collapsing.
Yeah, there is too much presumption this was the cause. Commotio cordis is very rare. An underlying cardiac condition or cardiomyopathy is statistically much more likely. And I agree - you do not stand up from VFib, even for 5 seconds

Really surprised that the NFL had not prepared an emergency plan in the event of a critical injury like this.
It was very awkwardly handled regarding the "5 minutes to warm up" announcement. I believe they should have had contingency plans and communication mapped out. It is surprising that an incident like this has not happened before given the violent nature of the hits.

Fortunately, Damar received immediate defibrillation and CPR which can make the difference between life and death or between return to normal or brain damage. The duration of time without blood flow to the heart and brain is critical. It seems like the treatment in this situation may have been ideal in terms of speed of initiation. If its true his vitals are back to normal...I am hopeful that he has a shot at recovering with full capacity.

I know that the "5 min warm-up" rumor is floating around, but I've not heard who it actually came from. I don't know if it was the Refs or the Game Official that the league sends to each game or if the NFL Front Office said it. What has come out is that the PLAYERS on both teams made the decision to not continue the game tonight and the Coaches supported that decision. The NFLPA would have had no choice but to support the decision or risk alienating their members.

It’s almost like the league is being run by someone with below-average intelligence

Not making the decision does not equal "Was trying to force them to play"
A multibillion dollar organization like this usually has contingency preparation even for rare circumstances. Messaging that the "NFL can not make a decision" looks ridiculous. They should have said that they will be meeting with the coaches and player captains for both teams to discuss game options.

In this case it certainly seems like the NFL would give great latitude to the coaches and players to drive the decision.
The game potentially could be resumed tomorrow night, if Damar is recovering. If he sadly, remains is in critical condition, I do not see how the teams could be forced to play this week or weekend.
Worst cases scenario, they could call the game a tie and flip a coin between these 2 teams to determine playoff seeding order.

The problem could be more with games scheduled for the weekend. Would the Bills be ready to play? I would suspect not
Known Liar, Troy Vincent.
As I recall it, Buck and Aikman announced this but did not make it clear who made this direction.

As I recall it, Buck and Aikman announced this but did not make it clear who made this direction.
They did and it would've come from the sideline reporter after talking to the officials. It's not like they would've made it up.

Yeah, there is too much presumption this was the cause. Commotio cordis is very rare. An underlying cardiac condition or cardiomyopathy is statistically much more likely. And I agree - you do not stand up from VFib, even for 5 seconds
I thought that the NFL severally improved the testing that it gave players when it came to their physicals. Isn't that how they found the issue with Cannon and with other players? (Star Lotulelei, Montez Sweat, etc)

Showing my medical ignorance here: Could the adrenaline in a player's body from participating in said play have a delaying affect on the body reacting to the VFib?

Nobody said what you have quoted. Since when did you become an apologist for the NFL?
You said the NFL got forced into it, as if to imply that the NFL was trying to force them to play. I'm not an NFL apologist I just hate rage bait for the sake of brownie points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents