PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 11 vs. NYJ - flex schedule possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSparks1

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
It doesn't look like this has been discussed as of yet (if so, I apologize in advance)....

Week 11 starts flex scheduling in the NFL. According to the NFL Broadcasting Rules on Wikipedia (which is never, ever wrong), the Patriots/Jets game is not blocked from being moved (see the rules regarding flexing division games).

If a change is being made, it must be announced no later than 12 days before the game (Tuesday, November 10, 2009).

Both CBS and FOX can protect up to 5 games, with no more than one game protected by each per week.

WEEK 11 Schedule

WAS (2-6) @ DAL (6-2) 1PM
CLE (1-7) @ DET (1-7) 1PM
SF(3-5) @ GB (4-4) 1PM
PITT (5-2) @ KC (1-7) 1PM
ATL (5-3) @ NYG (5-4) 1PM
NO (8-0) @ TB (1-7) 1PM
BUF (3-5) @ JAX (4-4) 1PM
IND (8-0) @ BAL (4-4) 1PM
SEA (3-5) @ MIN (7-1) 1PM
ARI (5-3) @ STL (1-7) 4:05 PM
NYJ (4-4) @ NE (6-2) 4:15 PM
CIN (6-2) @ OAK (2-6) 4:15 PM
SD (5-3) @ DEN (6-1) 4:15 PM*
PHI (5-3) @ CHI (4-4) 8:20 PM
*Not an Option - Already played on national TV in first matchup.

Based on the schedule above, is it likely that NBC will attempt to move the Patriots/Jets game from 4:15PM to 8:20PM? And if so, will CBS respond by protecting this game?

I'd rather have a 4:15PM kick, with NBC flexing the Browns/Lions game to 8:20PM or sticking with the Eagles/Bears. I can't see NBC having any interest in the Giants/Falcons game based on how the G-men have played lately.

I sure hope not. I'd prefer to be home long before 1am.

My guess is if there is a flex change it would be Indy at Baltimore especially if the Colts beat NE and remain undefeated.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like this has been discussed as of yet (if so, I apologize in advance)....

Week 11 starts flex scheduling in the NFL. According to the NFL Broadcasting Rules on Wikipedia (which is never, ever wrong), the Patriots/Jets game is not blocked from being moved (see the rules regarding flexing division games).

If a change is being made, it must be announced no later than 12 days before the game (Tuesday, November 10, 2009).

Both CBS and FOX can protect up to 5 games, with no more than one game protected by each per week.

WEEK 11 Schedule

WAS (2-6) @ DAL (6-2) 1PM
CLE (1-7) @ DET (1-7) 1PM
SF(3-5) @ GB (4-4) 1PM
PITT (5-2) @ KC (1-7) 1PM
ATL (5-3) @ NYG (5-4) 1PM
NO (8-0) @ TB (1-7) 1PM
BUF (3-5) @ JAX (4-4) 1PM
IND (8-0) @ BAL (4-4) 1PM
SEA (3-5) @ MIN (7-1) 1PM
ARI (5-3) @ STL (1-7) 4:05 PM
NYJ (4-4) @ NE (6-2) 4:15 PM
CIN (6-2) @ OAK (2-6) 4:15 PM
SD (5-3) @ DEN (6-1) 4:15 PM*
PHI (5-3) @ CHI (4-4) 8:20 PM
*Not an Option - Already played on national TV in first matchup.

Based on the schedule above, is it likely that NBC will attempt to move the Patriots/Jets game from 4:15PM to 8:20PM? And if so, will CBS respond by protecting this game?

I'd rather have a 4:15PM kick, with NBC flexing the Browns/Lions game to 8:20PM or sticking with the Eagles/Bears. I can't see NBC having any interest in the Giants/Falcons game based on how the G-men have played lately.

Do you think the Flex would include a prime time clash between 2 of the absolute worst teams in the NFL? - You have to be kidding right?

What would they call Cleveland at Detroit on Primetime,The irrelevant Bowl?

Last edited:
I can't see NBC having any interest in the Giants/Falcons game based on how the G-men have played lately.

That's because you're thinking like a football fan, not a network exec. Advertisers ALWAYS want the Giants.

Do you think the Flex would include a prime time clash between 2 of the absolute worst teams in the NFL? - You have to be kidding right?

What would they call Cleveland at Detroit on Primetime,The irrelevant Bowl?

Yes, that was a joke.

That's because you're thinking like a football fan, not a network exec. Advertisers ALWAYS want the Giants.

Obviously the New York Market carries a lot of weight. But when given a choice, I was thinking that the Jets/Patriots would be of more interest than Giants/Falcons based on their recent struggles. But I guess I'll leave it to the experts.

Last edited:
There are a couple of threads about this on the506.com - the site that puts together the weekly TV Maps. On this one they are saying the Jets-Pats game is the one 'protected' game by CBS that week; if so that could have been why Mike Reiss is saying i won't be moved.

The506 Broadcast Maps Forum - CBS/FOX protected games: 2009

There's also this thread on SNF and flex scheduling for the rest of the season. Again this one starts out saying the Jets-Pats won't be moved since it is protected by CBS. There are several people that are of the opinion that the week 13 game at Miami may be puched back to the afternoon though. I'm thinking NBC might want to go for the Saints-Redskins that night. Washington may not have a good record, but they have a large fanbase, and the Saints are easy to hype this year with their offense.

The506 Broadcast Maps Forum - SNF Flex Possibilities

There's absolutely NO WAY Bob Kraft allows this to happen!!!

That would mean we would have to play 4 prime time games in a row, with 3 out of 4 being on the road.

If it were flexed the next 4 games would be:

Sun. Nov. 15 at Indy prime time SUN NIGHT

Sun. Nov. 22 v. NYJ prime time SUN NIGHT

Mon. Nov. 30 at New Orl prime time MON NIGHT

Sun. Dec. 6 at Miami prime time SUN NIGHT

That would be ridiculously unfair, and I would expect our owner to stand up and say so.

There's absolutely no way that the NYJ game is moved to the night.

Last edited:
There are a couple of threads about this on the506.com - the site that puts together the weekly TV Maps. On this one they are saying the Jets-Pats game is the one 'protected' game by CBS that week; if so that could have been why Mike Reiss is saying i won't be moved.

There's also this thread on SNF and flex scheduling for the rest of the season. Again this one starts out saying the Jets-Pats won't be moved since it is protected by CBS. There are several people that are of the opinion that the week 13 game at Miami may be puched back to the afternoon though. I'm thinking NBC might want to go for the Saints-Redskins that night. Washington may not have a good record, but they have a large fanbase, and the Saints are easy to hype this year with their offense.

Not that it matters, but if I had to guess I'd say that MIA probably gets to keep it's Sun. Night game on the 6th of December against us.

Not only would it be a bigger game for them, it'd be one of the bigger rivalries in the NFL, and obviously a divisional game. Plus the way the Redskins are playing they'll probably be 2-10 by then--they absolutely suck!!

As I said, I'm only guessing, but I think MIA wants that one as hyped as possible, I expect it to be quite challenging coming off a Mon. Night away game vs. unbeaten New Orl, then going on the road again in a shortened week to MIA.

if the saints remain undefeated it can move the primetime replacingthe pats/fins game.

Is that your site, BTW? I know a Pats fan runs it.

Regards,
Chris

Not that it matters, but if I had to guess I'd say that MIA probably gets to keep it's Sun. Night game on the 6th of December against us.

Not only would it be a bigger game for them, it'd be one of the bigger rivalries in the NFL, and obviously a divisional game. Plus the way the Redskins are playing they'll probably be 2-10 by then--they absolutely suck!!

As I said, I'm only guessing, but I think MIA wants that one as hyped as possible, I expect it to be quite challenging coming off a Mon. Night away game vs. unbeaten New Orl, then going on the road again in a shortened week to MIA.
The thing is this: Miami (or any other team) has no say in the matter. The decision is strictly that of the NFL and the networks. If NBC thinks the Saints will still be undefeated by then, they may want to push to get one of their games. I'm not saying it definitely will happen, but it wouldn't shock me if they made that change.

Also keep in mind their focus is ratings, no good football games. So even though Washington is a bad football team, I'm hesitant to automatically disqualify them because of their fanbase - and because of all the hype the Saints have been getting. If the Pats take care of business next week, the Saints will be the NFL's last undefeated team this season.

Big division rivalries don't always equal big ratings; how many people are interested in KC-Oakland or Baltimore-Cleveland this year?

I wouldn't think they would flex this game. Frankly, the Jets aren't that good lately (I know, I know, they beat us in week 2), so it is not a power match-up, particularly (gulp) if we lose to Indy. Plus, haven't people tired of seeing the Pats every week in years past, and we'll be on national TV against the Colts this upcoming weekend. This game is really only important in NY and NE.

Is that your site, BTW? I know a Pats fan runs it.

Regards,
Chris
No, not mine. But after poking around there I've found a lot of good info on television & the NFL.

This seems to have gone unnoticed, so I'll try it one more time.

The Pats-Jets game is NOT being moved to primetime!

It is 'protected' by CBS - NBC cannot have it!

There's absolutely NO WAY Bob Kraft allows this to happen!!!

That would mean we would have to play 4 prime time games in a row, with 3 out of 4 being on the road.

I think there's some sort of rule regarding that, although I'm not sure.

This seems to have gone unnoticed, so I'll try it one more time.

The Pats-Jets game is NOT being moved to primetime!

It is 'protected' by CBS - NBC cannot have it!

This post!

The thing is this: Miami (or any other team) has no say in the matter. The decision is strictly that of the NFL and the networks. If NBC thinks the Saints will still be undefeated by then, they may want to push to get one of their games. I'm not saying it definitely will happen, but it wouldn't shock me if they made that change.

Also keep in mind their focus is ratings, no good football games. So even though Washington is a bad football team, I'm hesitant to automatically disqualify them because of their fanbase - and because of all the hype the Saints have been getting. If the Pats take care of business next week, the Saints will be the NFL's last undefeated team this season.

Big division rivalries don't always equal big ratings; how many people are interested in KC-Oakland or Baltimore-Cleveland this year?

Good points about the focus on ratings, rivalries, etc. You may very well be right, I didn't mean to second guess you or undermine you in the least, I was strictly guessing.

It would be a benefit IMO, if the Dec.6 game were moved to the afternoon, I hope that happens for sure. It'd be even better to stick one to the fin fans too;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back