PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 1 Post Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron Fleming is a disaster. Please, find a solution at OT!!

Gotta disagree with this statement. Fleming Isn't Armstrong, Light or Solder, but to say he's a disaster makes me questions what you were watching.. His cut blocks were excellent and bought Garappolo time to complete several passes. Overall he was only OK. But we already knew he wasn't a world-beater.

What's your opinion of'm?
First i dont have any knowledge to evaluate players, but when i saw Malcolm Mitchell few catches in preseason game i thought that this is it. The only thing that bother me is his injury history.
The reason i asked you about MM is, that you are top 3 draft poster here and i remember that you didnt have high opinion on Dobson, and in the end you are right, so i am glad that you think that healthy MM will be star. And Valentine has potential too.

Overall I thought they played a good game, in a situation where most of us, myself included, thought they had no chance to win. Bennett was the player of the game, IMO. His blocking allowed them to do some things offensively that I don't believe they could have done otherwise.

My biggest concern was the pass rush. Palmer stayed pretty clean all night. I was expecting Mingo to play a bigger role. I was hoping with his speed to the QB they would have him moving around and making Palmer uncomfortable. I know some people are complaining about Logan Ryan, but he was often asked to cover Fitz in man, and I think given the time Palmer often had, Ryan did about as well as one would expect.

Against another back I would be concerned about the run-stopping, but David Johnson in my opinion is elite. I'm expecting the Pats to improve in this area down the road.

Palmer stayed pretty clean? If the Pats getting 3 sacks on him and multiple pressures is him "staying pretty clean", I'll take it every game..

Well, they were Top 10 last Year, and they added one Chandler Jones. Have they lost crucial components of their Defense? I haven't been able to follow what other Teams've done this past OffSeason.

I agree with you 100% about Garappolo's Health with that O Line. :eek:

Indeed, I was thinking how ironically fortunate it may well be that Brady's missing these particular 4 Weeks, while the Mediocrities we're left with gel together as best they can: Dangerous time back there. :eek:

Mitchell? Delighted to be asked, Sir. Answer: Sky High. I gave'm a Top 10 Grade. SuperBeast.

What's your opinion of'm?

they also added robert nkedimche(sp) ..... and they have some talent, but their defense also has some holes......their LB group ain't all that and one corner is an obvious liability when a guy starting his first game can expose it like that

mitchell has the hands.......maybe not the fastest blaze down the field, but he can help stretch the defense

Palmer stayed pretty clean? If the Pats getting 3 sacks on him and multiple pressures is him "staying pretty clean", I'll take it every game..

Fair enough, and I know the David Johnson factor forced the defense to be less aggressive. I honestly thought the Pats would lose but make Palmer pay a bit more than he did. Palmer is pretty immobile, so I was really looking for Sheard, Long, and Mingo to force the issue a bit more. Especially in the second half, Palmer had plenty of time to throw. All 3 sacks were in the first half, and the defense seemed to sag at the end.

I will be watching the condensed version of the game today without all the emotions attached, so perhaps my opinion will change. I know I'm nitpicking probably the best win since the Superbowl anyway.

my thoughts: Patriots came out and hung together very, very impressively. They went into AZ and basically shut them down (2 td's off turnovers). Bennett played his heart out blocking, the O-line really surprised me. (SCAR) and hng together very well. Beating the Cards there like that without, TB, Gronk, Vink, Solder, Seabass, Cooper. Impressive! Love the front seven going forward on D...... Lotta talent there and depth! Lastly, Jimmy G. What you say except exceptional poise and "giddy-up"..... side note: I was hoping to see D.J. get a few plays, was he active?? Go Pats!

Foster was inactive.

Gotta disagree with this statement. Fleming Isn't Armstrong, Light or Solder, but to say he's a disaster makes me questions what you were watching.. His cut blocks were excellent and bought Garappolo time to complete several passes. Overall he was only OK. But we already knew he wasn't a world-beater.

He was also on Calais Campbell most of the time, and CC is a monster - one of the very best in the league.

Not enough people talking about what a monster fitzgerald was last night.

Dude single handedly kept the cards in the game making catches only he could make while blanketed by logan ryan.

Seriously finger tip type catches that should only be stopped via defensive pass interference.

People talk about how poor the D played in the second half but what i saw was a future hall of famer putting on a clinic in being clutch.

That said it was a hell of a game, very entertaining.

Great game plan by BB and the staff. Run the ball, pick on the weaker CB when there was man coverage, keep Bennett in to block.

Excellent Point. Our Pass/Run Divider was a very balanced 35/31.

I cannot express how awesome I find that to be.

Offensive Linemen are far more effective at Run Blocking than Pass Blocking.

The entire Mentality of the entire Team transforms.

And the Advantage reaped...is immense.

Last edited:
I liked the game James White played last night. He was a nice release valve at times and helped keep the Cards honest. I think if Dion Lewis wasn't on this team White would get more love here, but he may prove to be the more reliable of the two long term.

I was surprised Foster was inactive.

Ghost is an unsung hero in this one as well. 3 FGs, and kickoffs that kept Zona starting inside their 20 all night.

Overall I thought they played a good game, in a situation where most of us, myself included, thought they had no chance to win. Bennett was the player of the game, IMO. His blocking allowed them to do some things offensively that I don't believe they could have done otherwise.

My biggest concern was the pass rush. Palmer stayed pretty clean all night.

I was expecting Mingo to play a bigger role.
I was hoping with his speed to the QB they would have him moving around and making Palmer uncomfortable. I know some people are complaining about Logan Ryan, but he was often asked to cover Fitz in man, and I think given the time Palmer often had, Ryan did about as well as one would expect.

Against another back I would be concerned about the run-stopping, but David Johnson in my opinion is elite. I'm expecting the Pats to improve in this area down the road.

Good stuff, good stuff.

Huge Fan of Barkevious #$%&ing Mingo. Hail Mary, mind you: All or Nothing. He's a Bandit, after all.

Bandits are very context-dependent, kind'f like Chevy Chase: He needs the right Script.

But if you can line'm up right and feed'm...Hooooo.

Good Times.

OTG,

Great analysis and really well said!!!!!!!!!

Humble Thanks, Fair One!!
wubNEW2.gif

Christopher Hogan. I believe that Christopher Hogan is about to Shock The World by rapidly ascending to become one of the League's best WideOuts. His intrinsic Agility is sensational, his Intelligence is amazing, his Power is tremendous for a WideOut, and his Work Ethic is outstanding. He's needed a few Years to transform from LaCrosse Player to FootBall Player, which is to be expected, but which, I think, most people who foolishly wright'm off as a Journeyman have little to no conception of: It takes Years of Time & Training ~ thousands of Repetitions ~ to reach the point where Instincts and Muscle Memory become reliable ~ where one's natural Processing Speed consistently takes over on The Field of Battle. I believe that Christopher Hogan has reached that point where it's finally all starting to click on a regular basis. And I believe, Ladies and Laddies, that we are just beginning the Process of witnessing an extraordinary Transformation.

Great post throughout, but what especially resonates with me is the bold.
We saw JUST THAT take place with my man, The Squirrel, when after a few years, a nondescript former QB morphed into a savvy player with quick instincts that no one could cover.
If Hogan is the real deal as you project, we are truly blessed.

Beautifully put, Sir. And thank you!!
beer.gif

Do I presume that the "Squirrel" Title~ extraordinarily appropriate for one of Julian EdelPerson's Ferocious Excellence, I applaud Thee!! ~ is a reference to Scrat of the Ice Age Chronicles?

David Johnson...That kid's about to go ApeShit, I believe.

He's got 2000 Yards (combined) Potential.

He didn't do much outside that one 45 yard run.

First i dont have any knowledge to evaluate players, but when i saw Malcolm Mitchell few catches in preseason game i thought that this is it. The only thing that bother me is his injury history.
The reason i asked you about MM is, that you are top 3 draft poster here and i remember that you didnt have high opinion on Dobson, and in the end you are right, so i am glad that you think that healthy MM will be star. And Valentine has potential too.

That was very generous. Thank you kindly, Brother Mihap, kindly, indeed!!
beer.gif

This was one of my fav Pats wins. Probably so because it was one of the few Pats games I can remember that I had penciled in as an almost definite loss heading into the contest. Glad to be so wrong.

My highlights:

- the superb play of (my binky) Hogan, JAG, Bennett, Long, and Jones ..... all new contributors compared to last year. This bodes very well should this trend continue moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back