PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Week 1 OFFICIAL Post-Game Thread: Patriots lose close to the Eagles

Immediate Postgame Reactions
i doubt mac is going to be all-time but i'd be happy with 2nd tier and clutch and a great leader really. if you look at a guy like garoppolo he's not a great qb. but he is able to help his team win. if mac could be a bit better than him i'd be happy because a)he shouldn't cost as much b)it will make it easier to keep good players around him
Jimmy G is 41-17 as a starter. Crazy.

I think hes been very fortunate such that hes been on good teams which do not require him to perform like a franchise QB.

The theme with this team will always be to play mistake free football. They've been in most of the Miami loses, but mistakes on both sides of the ball have cost them the games. Yesterday, they had two consecutive turnovers resulting in 13 points. Then the Pats muster up some haymakers to make it a game, but then run out gas. The offense can't rely on Peppers delivering a hit and forcing a fumble down 5 points every week to give them a chance to win. It's just too difficult in this era.

I think hes been very fortunate such that hes been on good teams which do not require him to perform like a franchise QB.
no doubt about that! that's why mac needs to be a bit better. but i do think jg has some intangibles that help him. that's more what i was referring to with mac.

I am pretty high on Jimmy. He is a really good QB. He doesn't play scared and yet also makes high risk/high reward throws. I was impressed with the Raiders defense yesterday which I didn't think was very good. I know its week one and hard to really tell what teams are but it is funny that the Raiders are in sole possession of the West right now. lol

making critical errors teamwide consistently is a coaching issue imo. look at the transition they have had on their coaching/analytical staff in longtime positions within the past few years. ernie a,scar,fears,the o/c carousel,special teams,etc. lack of continuity and less teaching time=wtf.
on top of it,they already have a tiny staff compared to other teams,so less ability to backfill. this is something they may need to look at.

I knew there were two posters with Bruin type names but I wasn't sure which one was the dipstick and which was a normal poster. I found that out in this thread.
Regardless. You are still crying about Brady leaving and you punctuating it with the crying about the Brady forum and the pain it causes you makes me feel even more badly for you

Dude, Boutte caught the ball at shoulder level. He could have straightened his body up and had both feet down. I said " like he was jumping". It is all how Boutte positioned his body. Since the ball was at his shoulder level Boutte could have caught the ball differently. Lots of NFL receivers catch a ball with their hands to keep both feet on the ground as long as the ball is not too high. The ball was not too high, it was at his shoulder level. Boutte was at his locker very upset because he knows he blew it. Watching the replay only makes sense if you consider other normal body positions NFL receivers use and Boutte could have used. Boutte could have had both feet down, hands out stretched, and fallen out of bounds. When the ball is not over the receiver's head, there is no excuse for not getting both feet down.

You're completely and totally ignoring the fact that JOBE PUSHED HIM. If you watch Boutte's upper body, you can see the change and how it throws things off. It's not like he's pushing a bookcase or something. It clearly knocks Boutte's off and doesn't allow the foot to land in bounds.

THAT'S what watching the replay shows. You're claim is what there is no excuse for. Because it says you don't understand basic physics. This whole arms above head thing you've got is garbage.

1694453765637.png

I feel better than I thought I was going to feel the day after Game 1 v. the defending NFC Champion.

The areas where they have to improve have been pointed out in this thread over and over...personally I was most disappointed by seeing how good Mac can be at times but also how far he still has to go. Sad that last season was more or less a write-off for him.

But, we're on to MIA and the Jests. I'll be happy if they grab a W and come out of the first three games 1-2. But, I'll be content if Mac shows that he can get better week by week with good Coaching and a D that can keep him in games until the end, even if they're 0-3.

So, Hill and Waddle are great route runners but Smith and Brown aren't?

How'd Gonzalez do in College against speedsters?

I think that Gonzalez will do better than you expect provided he focuses on doing his job.
so now we're comparing Tyreek Hill, a guy with World Class Sprinter level speed,.a 3 time first team All Pro (not pro bowl)...to "college speedsters".... yikes

Miami had a really solid offseason and improved its already stout roster. The Eagles lost players.

That being said, I see Miami as a tougher match up for our defense because they have awesome skill guys and Tua is slinging it well. I do think offensively we should be able to move the ball easier but Mac needs to come out of the gate sharp.

The Eagles lost players but they had plenty of others to pick up the slack. I say that as someone who pointed out that they lost 5 defensive starters. If you think their defense didn't play well, so be it.

Miami's defense got shredded yesterday by the Chargers. The Chargers don't have the D-linemen that the Patriots or the Eagles have. Yeah, they have Bosa and Mack at LB, but that's not the D-line. The Chargers also don't have the safeties that the Patriots have.

I am pretty high on Jimmy. He is a really good QB. He doesn't play scared and yet also makes high risk/high reward throws. I was impressed with the Raiders defense yesterday which I didn't think was very good. I know its week one and hard to really tell what teams are but it is funny that the Raiders are in sole possession of the West right now. lol
Hes done a good job. His #is 1, 2 and 3 issue (s) are health

Denver is a mess. Not sure even Peyton can fix Wilson.

You're completely and totally ignoring the fact that JOBE PUSHED HIM. If you watch Boutte's upper body, you can see the change and how it throws things off. It's not like he's pushing a bookcase or something. It clearly knocks Boutte's off and doesn't allow the foot to land in bounds.

THAT'S what watching the replay shows. You're claim is what there is no excuse for. Because it says you don't understand basic physics. This whole arms above head thing you've got is garbage.

View attachment 52646

I am not ignoring the fact that Jobe pushed Boutte. Boutte could have stretched out his arms and caught the ball away from his body like lots of other NFL receivers do all the time. Thanks for posting the picture - it is obvious Boutte caught the ball into his body which meant he is almost out of bounds. If he stretched out his arms and caught it away from his body, Boutte would have been back from the sideline and both feet would have been on the ground. The method I am talking about is used commonly by NFL receivers. In future games, watch as the NFL guys catch a ball at the sidelines, you will see the technique and understand. The receiver will plant both feet inside the sideline and reach out with his arms to catch the ball as he falls out of bounds.

Sure wish we had him Jimmy can win and if he was the Patriots QB yesterday we would be in the W Column. Any Patsfan who claims Mac is even in Jimmy G's zip code as a NFL QB needs brain surgery.

Sure wish we had him Jimmy can win and if he was the Patriots QB yesterday we would be in the W Column. Any Patsfan who claims Mac is even in Jimmy G's zip code as a NFL QB needs brain surgery.
yeah he sure came up large when he completed that throw to help sf win the sb. oh wait,he didn't,and was roundly thumped for it as being unclutch.

I pegged it as an L going in. Can't start like that against a very good team. 2nd quarter was fantastic, thought the D really clamped down on what should be a top 5 offense.

Let's give this team more time before we lump them in with the stink of what we had last year. Never "happy" with a loss, but I think there's some positive direction.

Start quicker, less digging early holes, but the defense should absolutely keep this team competitive in games against good teams.

eat ****

Honestly i never thought we could have won this game but after the nightmare, we showed heart
Appreciated

Last edited:
Based on what? Better QB, sure but even Tom would have had his hands full yesterday. Iggles are no joke.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back