PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Week 1 OFFICIAL Post-Game Thread: Patriots lose close to the Eagles

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I watched the Chargers and Dolphins game. The Chargers had it in the bag if JC Jackson didn't interfere with on overthrow by Tua with the clock running down. ******** call, combined with a stupid defensive play--The Flacco Special. That's hw the Dolphins won. Vangio was lucky he could send the house at Herbert. The OLine for the Chargers should be ashamed for allowing two strait sacks in crunch time.

Yet, **** Belichick, right?

Go on tell us about 2008, we are all dying to hear it. Tell us about that one game difference where Bill really ****ed up that season. **** off loser.
I see we have another mensa member in our midst....
when you have chances to win games you need to seize those chances. Sunday the Patriots had two amazing shots to win a game and actually triumph in a season opener, something they haven't done since....cam newton was calling signals...in 2008 the Patriots lost 2 games by a field goal...tell me, what would've happened had they won either of those games? I'll answer for you - they win the division and host a wildcard game.
this isn't a discussion about Bill the coach; this is a discussion about how they really needed to win that game because it was there for the taking, and based facts, one game is a massive factor in a teams' success - make playoffs vs not making it; homefield vs road, bye vs no bye...but apparently it's all fine and dandy to lose on Sunday...

when you have chances to win games you need to seize those chances. Sunday the Patriots had two amazing shots to win a game and actually triumph in a season opener, something they haven't done since....cam newton was calling signals...in 2008 the Patriots lost 2 games by a field goal...tell me, what would've happened had they won either of those games? I'll answer for you - they win the division and host a wildcard game.
this isn't a discussion about Bill the coach; this is a discussion about how they really needed to win that game because it was there for the taking, and based facts, one game is a massive factor in a teams' success - make playoffs vs not making it; homefield vs road, bye vs no bye...but apparently it's all fine and dandy to lose on Sunday...
Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Right?

At least the Pats won’t have to endure the stress of maintaining an undefeated season.

That sucked!!!

It probably happened a few other times too. Each NYFL season is a work in progress.
The 1996 AFC champions started the season 0-2.

I knew there were two posters with Bruin type names but I wasn't sure which one was the dipstick and which was a normal poster. I found that out in this thread.

Both of them are the former.

The theme with this team will always be to play mistake free football. They've been in most of the Miami loses, but mistakes on both sides of the ball have cost them the games. Yesterday, they had two consecutive turnovers resulting in 13 points. Then the Pats muster up some haymakers to make it a game, but then run out gas. The offense can't rely on Peppers delivering a hit and forcing a fumble down 5 points every week to give them a chance to win. It's just too difficult in this era.

Agreed (though the 2 early turnovers resulted in 10 points, not 13).

EDIT-EDIT-EDIT: Sorry RM! You & Patsylicious are correct: the two turnovers D-I-D give Philthy 13 points, not 10... Makes Corky & his offensive Line look even worse now.

Last edited:
Agreed (though the 2 early turnovers resulted in 10 points, not 13).

Cap, the turnovers led to 13 pts. Pick 6 and the td after zekes fumble set them up deep in our territory.

One could argue the d could have held them to 3 after zekes fumble but thats a tall ask(especially with the holding call on dugger after they DID stop them), those 13 pts are on the offense in my mind.

****ing dummy, what if they had missed the field goal? There would be no stop on 4th down. Hindsight is nothing. How do you know they win that Wildcard game? Did you need a new T shirt, because beyond that, we had nothing going on against the top teams that year.

We didn't need to win this game. We needed to prove that our rank could hold fast with theirs. We did that, after some mistakes. It's not how you start, it's how you finish. They finished well enough to give me confidence. That's all I needed from this game.

Cap, the turnovers led to 13 pts. Pick 6 and the td after zekes fumble set them up deep in our territory.

One could argue the d could have held them to 3 after zekes fumble but thats a tall ask(especially with the holding call on dugger after they DID stop them), those 13 pts are on the offense in my mind.

You're right... Just watched a bit of the first quarter, and Philthy kicked that FG on the opening drive of the ball game. Oops!

Reiss with some key points. Boutte over JSS is interesting. I thought both sideline throws to Boutte could have been completed to a more experienced WR. Is team quietly managing injury to JSS? Something else? Many are high on Boutte but he looks pretty unrefined to me. Something to watch.

For those of you obsessing about 1-3 and 2-2 starts and their historical implications on playoffs etc, keep in mind that there is now a 17th game which dilutes the impact of every loss (and every win) by 6.25% (from the 16 game historical baseline).

Reiss with some key points. Boutte over JSS is interesting. I thought both sideline throws to Boutte could have been completed to a more experienced WR. Is team quietly managing injury to JSS? Something else? Many are high on Boutte but he looks pretty unrefined to me. Something to watch.
We’ve seen this before. There are different depth charts for X vs Z/slot. With the starting X (Parker) out, they elevated the backup X (Boutte) rather than moving one of the Z/slot guys over. I’m guessing maybe that was a short term fix with Parker getting hurt well into the game planning process last week. Hopefully he’s back this week and we don’t have to see what they’d do with more time to prepare.

Miami is more talented on offense than the Eagles.
The key will be the Dolphins OTs, Lamm and Jackson, going against the Patriots DEs. That’ll be the game right there.

Very intriguing.

I suspect Tge Cheetah is double covered much if the time by Jon Jones with Peppers over the top Then Gonzalez matches up with Waddle.

NFL should allow more contact in secondary and also one foot inbounds should be a catch. A good trade off to keep the offenses moving while letting the defenders play. The game would have more natural rhythm and less subjectivity on penalties.

An Impassioned but flawed speech.

Here's the thing. Nothing you say is wrong per se, but 80% of NFL games "are there for the taking" in the 4th quarter. Why is you COUNT the games that are lost in that situation and DIScount all of those that were won. Well Bill once DID say, "Players win games, coaches lose them.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back