PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI Programming Changes. Fuaria and Keefe being moved

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
This is bizarre:

So they're leaving Ottolini and Arcand alone in the afternoon slot, which means - or should mean - they're hiring someone else...? Definitely strange news.

I called that they were going to force Christian Arcand on us. Now he is hosting the afternoon show. I don't know how WEEI believes they can go up against Felger with a cheap imitation of a guy (Adam Jones) who is a cheap imitation of Felger.

It still ponders the mind how Christian Arcand can go from getting canned from 98.5 as a sidekick on the weeknight show, weekend host, and fill in host (basically one of the lowest hosts on the 98.5 hosting pecking order) and go to co-hosting the coveted 2-6 afternoon drive slot on WEEI in two months time.

It still ponders the mind how Christian Arcand can go from getting canned from 98.5 as a sidekick on the weeknight show, weekend host, and fill in host (basically one of the lowest hosts on the 98.5 hosting pecking order) and go to co-hosting the coveted 2-6 afternoon drive slot on WEEI in two months time.
He's not horrible, he's just not a lead guy. And he got let go due to cutbacks. I mean, Fred is paying the salary of the producer on the morning show out of his own salary...it shows you what the current state of things is like for both stations. Apparently, it's not good.

He's not horrible, he's just not a lead guy. And he got let go due to cutbacks. I mean, Fred is paying the salary of the producer on the morning show out of his own salary...it shows you what the current state of things is like for both stations. Apparently, it's not good.

He is just another guy who is a contrarian and go negative about everything talk show host. I really find those guys annoying. For a period of time, Felger did it really well, but most people don't even Felger anymore. It is only so long you can fake a point of view which you don't believe just to generate a lot of outraged callers on both sides.

As as someone said, he has a voice for movies - silent movies.

Last edited:
This is bizarre:

So they're leaving Ottolini and Arcand alone in the afternoon slot, which means - or should mean - they're hiring someone else...? Definitely strange news.

Agreed, there's gotta be another shoe waiting to drop. No way they are going to put those two into afternoon drive alone. This market doesn't need a more watered down version of Squeaky & The Douche to lose to them. What it could use is something with less faux outrage and more substance to challenge them. Cripes, if it's just those two then 'EEI might as well just drop something syndicated in there for the crap numbers they'll get, at least it would be cheaper programming.

This is bizarre:

Yes,

Very odd. Some changes were made over at 98.5 as well a few months ago. I guess they must not care about ratings.

Reactions: Ian
They care more about profitability
I see, the mid day show was awesome with Lou, Christian and at first Glen now Meg O. I'll miss merloni he was funny, witty, and spot on with his patriots takes

I believe merloni left on his own, so that in turn opened up a slot for archand. I like some of his commentary, however he and Jones are doom and gloom. Still I also don't understand how he gets to host the mid day show. The ratings will be in the basement at WEEI

I believe merloni left on his own, so that in turn opened up a slot for archand. I like some of his commentary, however he and Jones are doom and gloom. Still I also don't understand how he gets to host the mid day show. The ratings will be in the basement at WEEI
Merloni didn't leave on his own, he was told they weren't renewing his contract.

Merloni was painful to listen to when he tried to talk about football, in his case as in many of the on air hosts, their need to be controversial and "edgy" is greater than their need to be informative and lead discussion. Instead they over speak, interrupt and spread stupid rumors.
Sports talk radio has for the most part hit the crapper, what used to be enjoyable to listen to is nothing more than a nontroversy love fest, with each host trying to outdo each other.
The most knowledgeable football folks, Zolak for example, often walks out the room when Bertram says something really stupid in an effort to gin up some controversy... remember when Brady was late for the Bucs TC, Bertram had his listeners convinced that he was on the "Masked Singer" show because that made sense because he was going to be an announcer for Fox Sports after retirement. It is though none of these folks ever took a logic course or a common sense course.
I am fed up with the whole medium, with the except Toucher and Rich who usually are funny and that is their intent.

Merloni didn't leave on his own, he was told they weren't renewing his contract.
Ok, because I was listening to the show Tuesday, and he mentioned he was leaving on his own to do baseball ironically on the station! So he made it appear as if he was leaving on his own.

Merloni was painful to listen to when he tried to talk about football, in his case as in many of the on air hosts, their need to be controversial and "edgy" is greater than their need to be informative and lead discussion. Instead they over speak, interrupt and spread stupid rumors.
Sports talk radio has for the most part hit the crapper, what used to be enjoyable to listen to is nothing more than a nontroversy love fest, with each host trying to outdo each other.
The most knowledgeable football folks, Zolak for example, often walks out the room when Bertram says something really stupid in an effort to gin up some controversy... remember when Brady was late for the Bucs TC, Bertram had his listeners convinced that he was on the "Masked Singer" show because that made sense because he was going to be an announcer for Fox Sports after retirement. It is though none of these folks ever took a logic course or a common sense course.
I am fed up with the whole medium, with the except Toucher and Rich who usually are funny and that is their intent.
Zo is the absolute best! Just like Brian scalabrine for the celtics! You have to have personality when your on air. Zo is the absolute best! He knows football inside and out! Bertrand can be bit winny, and moody. Not sure why zo isn't the lead host on 98.5 10-2 show. But I definitely hear you!

This is bizarre:

“How to Ensure Terrible Ratings from 10-6” 101. Hard pass x 2.

Reactions: Ian

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back