PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Might Have Traded For A Wide Receiver

We don’t need to trade for a WR. Harry is set to break out. Any day now.

Franchise QB to me means an upper tier QB who can lead the franchise for a number of years.

I get it, there’s risk drafting one in the first, but there’s risk drafting any position. We drafted Harry in the 1st and how’s he looked? Michel in the 1st and he’s average. Since Jones and Hightower in 2012 we only have one first round pick who you’d say was worthy of the pick (Wynn). So yes, there’s risk drafting a QB in the 1st just like there’s risk drafting anyone else, but if we don’t draft a QB where are we finding him?
This would probably never happen for several reasons, but I would like to see Bill talk to Luck (can you tamper with a retired player?) and convince him to come out of retirement. He would be operating behind a first rate offensive line, better than anything he had at Indy. Would still need to get him a weapon or two. Since he is no longer playing for the Colts, a second or third round pick might be enough.

This would probably never happen for several reasons, but I would like to see Bill talk to Luck (can you tamper with a retired player?) and convince him to come out of retirement. He would be operating behind a first rate offensive line, better than anything he had at Indy. Would still need to get him a weapon or two. Since he is no longer playing for the Colts, a second or third round pick might be enough.
The Colts still control Luck's contract, so if he comes back he's a Colt. That's why they kept paying him because thhere was always a chance he might come back and they wanted it to be with the Colts.

The Colts still control Luck's contract, so if he comes back he's a Colt. That's why they kept paying him because thhere was always a chance he might come back and they wanted it to be with the Colts.
But if he were to tell them that he'd only come back to play with the Pats - got his bell rung one too many times with the Colts - would Indy take a second or a third? Sort of like us with Gronk and Tampa Bay.

To get General Lucks letter as a Patriot after every game would be kind of fun. They were solid gold before. Just imagine lol.

No way its happening but if he were behind a good line he’d be a good bet for some team.

Folks say that one player wouldn't have made the difference. We are a play away from being very competitive in the playoffs, so I do think one player could have made the difference

Consider that the Bills offense was awful until they traded for Stephan Diggs. For those who think that we had no cap money, we could have restructured the contract of Gilmore at any time, pushing his cap hit to the future. We also didn't need to franchise Thuney, since we were unable to secure a long-term deal.

Folks here just haven't been willing to trade a 1st and more for a receiver or for a QB. Well, we get what we truly deserve with that strategy: mediocracy and whining.

BOTTOM LINE
1) Trading for a WR at any point, including after the season started, would have made a serious difference in making the patriots a playoff team.
2) Going forward, the team will need to decide what resources to use on QB and WR. We haven't been willing to spend enough on either this year.
Adding a WR this year doesn't make the Patriots a playoff team. The smart play is to use this transition year to see what you have, get rid of the guys you see aren't going to help going forward, and making the best draft picks that you can. Why would you mortgage the future for a wide receiver when you obviously need a LOT of help across the board?

We already have a 1000 yard receiver. His name is Jakobi Meyers.

But if he were to tell them that he'd only come back to play with the Pats - got his bell rung one too many times with the Colts - would Indy take a second or a third? Sort of like us with Gronk and Tampa Bay.
I don't think the Colts would take that little when they have their own issues at QB

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back