We get this every year, and it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlaff

Early Bird Specials
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm going to start a thread after the loss because why the hell not. Everyone else always does, and I hardly start threads.

I was thinking back on something I think @PatsFanInVa said in the GD thread to the effect of "we'll never dominate you, but we'll usually beat you". At the end of the day, that pretty much sums up the Pats' playoff performances.

It's a great, disciplined approach the Pats have to personnel that always gives us a chance to win it all depending on which way a few bounces go. The Pats rarely go break the bank on high priced free agents (or if they do, we are sometimes fortunate it works out like this year). And that's why the Pats are always in the thick of it year after year (of course Brady makes it all come together).

So I've come to terms with the fact I can't expect complete domination in the playoffs, but every year I can look forward to the Pats having a legitimate shot at the title. And that's what this year was - a great but not completely dominant team that had a shot, like usual. And because we aren't in cap hell, we'll likely get to enjoy the same thing next year.

Maybe that all didn't make a lot of sense, but it helped me come to terms with the loss.

I'm going to start a thread after the loss because why the hell not. Everyone else always does, and I hardly start threads.

I was thinking back on something I think @PatsFanInVa said in the GD thread to the effect of "we'll never dominate you, but we'll usually beat you". At the end of the day, that pretty much sums up the Pats' playoff performances.

It's a great, disciplined approach the Pats have to personnel that always gives us a chance to win it all depending on which way a few bounces go. The Pats rarely go break the bank on high priced free agents (or if they do, we are sometimes fortunate it works out like this year). And that's why the Pats are always in the thick of it year after year (of course Brady makes it all come together).

So I've come to terms with the fact I can't expect complete domination in the playoffs, but every year I can look forward to the Pats having a legitimate shot at the title. And that's what this year was - a great but not completely dominant team that had a shot, like usual. And because we aren't in cap hell, we'll likely get to enjoy the same thing next year.

Maybe that all didn't make a lot of sense, but it helped me come to terms with the loss.

This was a huge opportunity and a missed opportunity. I really thought the defense would turn it around in the second half but they where awful

Thus ends the experimental "Bend and then break" philosophy :)

But seriously - this game was a game down to the bitter end. Philly emphasized a lot of what we've taught the league the last 2 out of 3 years. They walked the talk about playing 60 minutes, usually easier said than done. They faced the ultimate "next man up" situation, and the next man up made it happen. Their D got torched bad too but shook off the bad plays and came right back. They did just enough to make the outcome work, and they made the big plays when it mattered. They were somewhat more aggressive than us by design, but played us patiently, not selling out, keeping things in front of them... they bent more, but broke less, than us.

Now Philly be like... "And we did that with our backup QB but um can we do that with our starter..." Backwards Garoppolo.

What can you say... neither defense really earned a ring but they earned more of one than we did. Utter shoot-out. Impressed at how many times we clawed back, pissed it away, and then still had one more shot, but too little, too late.

At least nobody said "that's it, Brady is over the hill, this game proves it" after he had a 505 yard (I know, I know, yards) game.

When your defense does "just enough to win" and gives up 28 you shrug it off. When they give up 41 - and you don't win - there's a reckoning coming.

Let me be the first to predict that Matt Patricia is gone :p

Last edited:
Plus it's nice to actually have a Superbowl loss (if you're going to have one of course) come from a team that doesn't suck.

Can you imagine if we lost to the Jaguars like the Steelers did? Pathetic.

Plus it's nice to actually have a Superbowl loss (if you're going to have one of course) come from a team that doesn't suck.

Can you imagine if we lost to the Jaguars like the Steelers did? Pathetic.
I'm honestly curious about what happens with the Eagles now. Wentz is an amazing player and could lead them to future Super Bowls. Yet, Foles is the guy that won the championship in convincing fashion. Letting Foles or Wentz go is equivalent to the Jimmy G. situation times five. I can't see the Eagles affording both.

I'm honestly curious about what happens with the Eagles now. Wentz is an amazing player and could lead them to future Super Bowls. Yet, Foles is the guy that won the championship in convincing fashion. Letting Foles or Wentz go is equivalent to the Jimmy G. situation times five. I can't see the Eagles affording both.
Wentz is going nowhere

Wentz is going nowhere
99% the most likely outcome. But letting Foles go after he got the job done is going to be almost impossible. For a franchise that has never won, how do you let the guy go who won you the title? If you do, you're setting yourself up for a curse...

I never thought about that aspect, I had always just assumed that Wentz would assume the role again when he came back. But you're right, they only have one Superbowl winning QB on the team now. I'd want to keep him around for another year if I were them though.

Letting go of Foles might be easier too if they can get more than a 2nd round pick out of him.:)

Letting Foles or Wentz go is equivalent to the Jimmy G. situation times five. I can't see the Eagles affording both.
They paid both this year and currently have both under contract next year. It would seem like a good opportunity to trade Foles at his high point, but that’s different than suggesting that they cannot afford to keep both.

For the record, Foles has the higher cap hit at 7.6m, but Wentz is right there too, at 7.3m. The combined cap hit of both is 14.9m. It’s hardly a Brady/JG situation where it would’ve cost them roughly 3x that much. That said, you may as well trade Foles for a second rounder if anyone bites.

I’m sure the Bills and Jets will be seeing what the Eagkes want to do with Foles

I agree with this post. More credit also needs to be given to the Eagles for just beating our ass on offense. Our offense was great but we failed to capitalize inside the ten twice, f'd up a chip shot field goal, and extra point.

We have a shot every year. Hell we basically have the AFC clinched already for 2018.

We will mostly have byes to the SB for the rest of Brady's career, just need to win a couple of them.

I never thought about that aspect, I had always just assumed that Wentz would assume the role again when he came back. But you're right, they only have one Superbowl winning QB on the team now. I'd want to keep him around for another year if I were them though.

Letting go of Foles might be easier too if they can get more than a 2nd round pick out of him.:)

This is completely out of left field here, but I wonder if the Patriots could find a way to get Foles as Brady's back up?

This is completely out of left field here, but I wonder if the Patriots could find a way to get Foles as Brady's back up?
The Eagles are going to struggle in the NFC East next year. Foles will come crashing back to earth and Wentz is going to struggle coming back from an injury knowing he wasn't the one who led them to the SB.

I'd rather keep on making it to the Superbowl and lose, than not making it at all.

Everything that bends eventually breaks.

Extend the material science metaphor. Some materials are very strong but not ductile. Other materials are ductile and as strong as they can be while having some give. The combination you want is governed by the failure mode you’re concerned with. I wouldn’t get on a ceramic ship, and I wouldn’t want steel body armor, at least since about the 1400s. Please leave aside obvious holes here, such as weight. Point is, the task at hand has been handled well to date employing a less brittle, more ductile material, to continue the metaphor.

However, it’s important to know that the environment changes year to year. Fascinated to see next years team (already).

Great perspective. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles not even make the playoffs next year. I nearly fell of my chair laughing when Brandon Graham declared they will be right back in the Super Bowl next year. They have an offseason of every FA on their team getting pilfered. That's a standard offseason around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes