PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are on to Pittsburgh and the Raising of SB 53 Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised that they would even go back to the fire zone coverage (albeit a modified version) after LeBeau left but they did, and also did it against Brady.

The question to me is if their DB's are of the right type to execute a man to man coverage scheme. Can any of them be left on an island?
Assuming DT plays, and Sean Davis doesn't, the Steelers will start ONE DB who is over 6' (SS) and Davis' possible replacements are both well under 6'. They DO have a 6'2 rookie 3rd round CB on the roster, but he's currently listed a 3rd string on the Steelers' web site.

So with Gordon, Thomas, and Meyers the Pats will have a significant size advantage over the Steeler CB's and FS's if they choose to play man in this game. Myers is a particular mismatch since the starting slot corner is listed at 5'9. Might be something Josh might want to exploit if he wants to give JE a breather.

So look for the Pats to try and exploit those kinds of mismatches if the Steelers are playing man and the route designs aren't getting the WR's separation.

Ended up coming to the game alone, flying up Saturday, staying in Winthrop at a friends house, have a rent a car for Sunday, any advice on parking? Parking pass? Tailgating? What things to do earlier in the afternoon?

How much beer I need to bring? :)
Preferably not to lug around

Tom Curran has the Pats at 7-6 before winning their final three games to take the division. Is this guy usually a hater?

He used to be a real journalist, then he saw Felger’s paycheck.

Last edited:
Assuming DT plays, and Sean Davis doesn't, the Steelers will start ONE DB who is over 6' (SS) and Davis' possible replacements are both well under 6'. They DO have a 6'2 rookie 3rd round CB on the roster, but he's currently listed a 3rd string on the Steelers' web site.

So with Gordon, Thomas, and Meyers the Pats will have a significant size advantage over the Steeler CB's and FS's if they choose to play man in this game. Myers is a particular mismatch since the starting slot corner is listed at 5'9. Might be something Josh might want to exploit if he wants to give JE a breather.

So look for the Pats to try and exploit those kinds of mismatches if the Steelers are playing man and the route designs aren't getting the WR's separation.

Tall order there with him having no ST's value will Meyers even be dressed?? You figure Eldeman - Gordon - Thomas and Dorsett with the Gunner possibly for ST's Returns.

JC Jackson hasn’t figured out Patriots way of answering questions. BB will serve him humble pie.

Maybe JC Jackson never saw a camera or microphone he didn't like.:D

I'd be surprised if Meyers is active

How about this for incredible. I am sitting here thinking, reading this post:

In 2002 I was 7 mos. pregnant with my 2nd set of twins ...........On Sunday, one of those twins will be going with me to the game and she has offered to drive me home if I drink too (non-water) much at the festivities.

What an incredible run we've had and are still having, thanks to BB and TB! I don't mind opening against the Steelers, as long as we win! :)

This in and of itself is testament to the depth our spoilage.:cool:

I was at that game also, and do you know, that night was released as an overhead aerial photo in a very nice poster I'd seen later that year at the Pats' pro shop due to it being the stadiums first game. I remember wearing a yellow slicker as it had rained and could have picked myself up more than likely in that overhead HD photo easily.
I did not buy it...…….and have always regretted it since.:(

You OK Zack ?

Thanks Dad
f069e57900d87feb4c9504412ffcb965.jpg

5406febf0db13be17f633e236855dab6.png

59867fabd1278db30fcdd7eed542a709.png

Last edited:
Selling my second ticket in section 103 if anyone needs one and wants to join me. PM me

In honor of Steelers week, here is Pittsburgh Dad the week before the Super Bowl this year:

Makes me wonder if there’ll be quite a few games where this is the case. Also makes me wonder if Brady will get a few more INTs than he is used to because of more situations where he “gives his tall receiver a chance vs a short DB”.

In honor of Steelers week, here is Pittsburgh Dad the week before the Super Bowl this year:

I've watched this guy for a few years - - he's great. Truly excellent writing and delivery. The highest compliment I can give any performer like this is if they are Fitzy-Level. No one has done it yet, but Pittsburgh Dad has come the closest.

PS: There is also a "Boston Dad" on Youtube who is just embarrassing bad........

Last edited:
Should be a good game. Unless the Patriots have some hiccups and do their typical early season thing it is hard to see Pitt winning.

On offense for them it is all about Juju, Conner and McDonald. I see Moncrief as a mostly non-factor. He is an okay #3 target but nothing more and no one else on their team worries me as far as their depth guys. It will be interesting to see how Juju looks without Brown taking pressure away from him. While he had the better statistical year in 2018 Brown pulled defenders to him and away from Juju. Now that he has to be the guy I wonder if he will be is good. He may well get the same yards as last year but with less efficiency.

Conner is a RB that can catch and so is the bane of the Patriots defense. It is the one thing that BB can't seem to do much about and yet it is never abused against him the way it should be. While Conner is good here he isn't great. He will get his and the Pats will let him. When this game is over he will have 5 catches when Pitt should have fed him 15. McDonald is a bit of a forgotten man. After a career year in 2018 with 600 yards I expect him to be featured more. Samuels could be mentioned as an X factor but I don't believe that as of yet.

Their running game is good but not game breaking. In 2018 they had a long of 30. Not very good at all. Their OL however is usually among the best and can win in the trenches. They rarely get stuffed or go backwards. It will be effective all game but manageable. I'm happy to let them run as I don't believe them running 40 times is how they will beat the Pats.

Ben is still pretty good at both football being a POS.

On the defensive side they are pretty damn good. While they are listed as a 3-4 I really see them more as a 4-3 with Watt and Heyward as DEs and a very good pair. Their interior DL is solid as well with Tuitt Hargrave. Another solid pair. I do question their depth on the DL though.

At LB Barron and Dupree help solidify the front. While Bush has a lot of hype everything I've read and heard seem to signal he just isn't ready yet. Still this is a big upgrade from last year which was an absolute dumpster fire. However losing Fort could hurt this group as PPF liked him a lot last year. Too be honest I didn't notice him much.

Overall a very good front but i question the depth if they are forced to stay on the field.

At DB it is a mixed bag. Artie Burns is a bust and if he or no one better is on the field again that is an area we can easily exploit. Layne as a rookie in his first game will find it hard to do much here if asked. Add in their starting S being out (Sean Davis) and this DB unit has some chinks in its armor. Adding Nelson is an upgrade over Burns if it puts him on the bench, but I don't think he's all that good. He's okay.

Overall on offense this is a unit that lost Brown and James last year and didn't really do much to replace those pieces. It would be hard to argue they will not be a worse offense this year.

On defense this unit should improve a bit with some nice additions. I do question if Barron hasn't lost something. Maybe a change of scene will get him back on track. Overall it will be hard to run on them consistently, but passing should be possible provided Brady has some time. I think our D will he hard pressed to get pressure as often as they are use to against this line, but our DBs will be able to keep their skill position players in check. Give help against Juju and make them beat you elsewhere should be a good strategy here and will probably stall them with Gilmore poised to have another great season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes