PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watson won’t be activated - he is now a Free Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
That large list of veterans not making it may be why some other vets don't want to come to NE. Similar things happened last year.

I get the cap savings and all, but to say there is no room on the roster when team has 3 QBs, 2 kickers, a bunch of ST guys, doesn't pass the smell test.

Brady has 59% completion inside RZ with 4 TD to 2 INT against mainly below avg teams. I have to believe Watson would have provided a large good hand target in the EZ.

It is what it is.

2 kickers. Unlike, oh....every other team in the NFL?

2 kickers and a punter is what Pats have, so 3 kickers?
That’s pretty irrelevant, though. Watson can’t have Koo’s practice squad spot.

Watson is a veteran player, doesn't deserve ending his career being some Younghoe replacement

No but Gunner can, so not irrelevant.

Uh, no. Ghostkowski is on IR. They have 2 kickers on the active roster.

There's not a spot on the 53 for Ben Watson sounds a little like What would we do with Willie McGee, words spoken by another long-time executive who also sometimes couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
Uh, no. Ghostkowski is on IR. They have 2 kickers on the active roster.
I'm talking about Younghoe in the PS. There was a time when everyone claimed we only needed 2 QBs, now we have 3 and 3 kickers on the team. We only have 2 TEs with a projected 442 yards and 3 TDs combined for the season. BB said there was no room on the team to bring in Watson, which sounds like BS to me.

Imo Watson would provide more value to the O than Gunner provides to ST. It doesn't really matter though, decision is made.

I have to believe Watson would have provided a large good hand target in the EZ.

It is what it is.
Or, he couldn't beat out the other two TEs on the roster. It is what it is.

Last edited:

lmfao there's bad faith arguments and then there's this post. Are you serious right now?

When he wasn't with the team for the Redskins game, I thought he was a goner.

Imo Watson would provide more value to the O than Gunner provides to ST. It doesn't really matter though, decision is made.

I think you are overestimating how much play / targets Watson would have gotten.

BB taking Izzo/LaCosse + 1.9M in cap space over him while the offense is struggling is telling you all you need to know.

I think you are overestimating how much play / targets Watson would have gotten.

BB taking Izzo/LaCosse + 1.9M in cap space over him while the offense is struggling is telling you all you need to know.
Oh I agree this is about cap space, no doubt. BB should just say that instead of stating there is no room in the roster for Ben, it sounds disingenuous and probably not appreciated by a player that by all accounts was well liked. Moving on.

The ramifications of the AB signing fiasco continues.

Oh I agree this is about cap space, no doubt. BB should just say that instead of stating there is no room in the roster for Ben, it sounds disingenuous and probably not appreciated by a player that by all accounts was well liked. Moving on.

I guess one can interpret BB as being disingenuous but what he also said about Izzo and LaCosse was truthful which was because of their youth, upside and level of production to date they wanted to continue to work with them. They've certainly not shown Gronk 2.0 level comparisons but there have been moments of decent play.

In terms of addressing the "no room" comment, BB did not want to shave another part of the roster for a 3rd TE.

It's harsh, cold and cutthroat but thats the life of an NFL player.

The tight cap space is not my point.

My point was that the projected role of TEs in this year's offense as well as the difference between LaCosse/Izzo and Watson is not big enough to justify those 2m.

And that conclusion is completely independent of the current cap space or AB.

Drives me nuts when the media (and some folks here) "blame" Watson's situation on the Antonio Brown SIGNING...um, no, the reason they're in this ****kced up situation is because Krafty Bob released Brown. Brady wouldn't be looking to Watson as a remedy for the offense - as Brady sees it. Given Tom's glum pressers of late, he knows this offense - with its lack of weapons (specifically "man beaters") coupled with injuries - is going to struggle against good defenses (Buffalo, comma, game). Perhaps this changes when/if some combination of Wynn, Harry, Develin come off IR.

Isn't it funny how the Klemko dirt digging and drive time AB news drops stopped after Krafty released Brown? If they had kept Brown, built a wall like they did surrounding the club during the Aaron Hernandez murder and surrounding events, Brady would be happy, Bill would be happy and the offense would be unstoppable. But no, Krafty bowed to mob and released Brown...

Since Brown's rookie year he's only missed I think 5 or 6 games due to injury. That's another plus to keeping him...

Drives me nuts when the media (and some folks here) "blame" Watson's situation on the Antonio Brown SIGNING...um, no, the reason they're in this ****kced up situation is because Krafty Bob released Brown. Brady wouldn't be looking to Watson as a remedy for the offense - as Brady sees it. Given Tom's glum pressers of late, he knows this offense - with its lack of weapons (specifically "man beaters") coupled with injuries - is going to struggle against good defenses (Buffalo, comma, game). Perhaps this changes when/if some combination of Wynn, Harry, Develin come off IR.

Isn't it funny how the Klemko dirt digging and drive time AB news drops stopped after Krafty released Brown? If they had kept Brown, built a wall like they did surrounding the club during the Aaron Hernandez murder and surrounding events, Brady would be happy, Bill would be happy and the offense would be unstoppable. But no, Krafty bowed to mob and released Brown...

Since Brown's rookie year he's only missed I think 5 or 6 games due to injury. That's another plus to keeping him...
No. They were certainly differing in severity and in magnitude but how they handled the situations was the exact same.

AH was cut once the team had gathered enough info and realized keeping him on the roster was going to be a PR disaster and a potential distraction.

AB was cut once the team had gathered enough info and realized keeping him on the roster was going to be a PR disaster and a potential distraction.

I'm talking about Younghoe in the PS. There was a time when everyone claimed we only needed 2 QBs, now we have 3 and 3 kickers on the team. We only have 2 TEs with a projected 442 yards and 3 TDs combined for the season. BB said there was no room on the team to bring in Watson, which sounds like BS to me.

You have downplayed or outright ignored what other people have said to this point. Let's rehash. s

- Chung and Ebner continue to be injured. That explains not ditching Richards.
- Brady has been nursing a calf injury that many feel affected his play against Miami, the Bills, and Jets. Stidham (a rookie) made the cardinal mistake of not being ready when the coach called on him. That's why Kessler is still here. You might not have noticed, but the Patriots actually dressed Kessler for the Jets game. That was BB sending a clear message.
- Clearly the Patriots felt that the progress that Izzo and LaCosse have made to this point outweigh anything that Watson brings to the team. And remember that Watson practiced with the team last week so they got to see, 1st hand, whether or not he was ahead of Izzo and LaCosse.
- Nugent is 36. He's not doing kick-offs and he's not exactly a sure-thing under 45 yards. That's why they put Koo on the PS. He's there for 2 reasons in my opinion. Insurance in the event that Nugent chokes and for them to develop in the event that Gostkowski's hip injury is career ending.
- You say that Watson brings more to the Offense than Gunner to Special Teams. You ignore the ripple effects that has. It's unlikely that Gunner makes it to the PS. You deplete your WR depth as well as subject Edelman to the pounding he'd take on the Punt Return unit. And you seem to forget that Edelman is already nursing several bruised ribs.

The above are all legitimate, logical reasons to not have added Watson. IMHO, your reasoning isn't logical as you ignore so many things.

What on earth does someone on the PS have to do with not having room for a player on the roster??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST