PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watching NFL Network replay of Bucs Pats 2021

He's never played our defense before either.
Yes the same defense that had almost no clutch stops all season and hasn’t made the Bills punt in 9 quarters and counting? I like TB12’s chances.

Yes the same defense that had almost no clutch stops all season and hasn’t made the Bills punt in 9 quarters and counting? I like TB12’s chances.

Ok, but THAT night the defense was great. What they were unable to do against the Bills is irrelevant. Brady played like a chump that day because our D balled out. Again, Timmy has never had a long GW drive with less than a minute to go in his career.

As far as Mac not getting a chance at 4th down, remember when Timmy failed to get a 1st down vs the Colts and people criticized Bill for not punting? Maybe he was thinking about that...

I didn’t get this play call either before the half. Did Bill not really care about winning one over his former QB who just won a Super Bowl without him? Or he was that afraid Mac would lose his confidence if he didn’t make it so gotta keep those reins on tight? Gotta ask your rookie QB to make those spots sometime Coach.
1658933804888.png

It was his coming out party IMO...the Pats were 1-2 at the time and Mac outplayed Brady
Only if you look at the stats

Given the fact that Tampa's secondary was depleted and were playing Richard Sherman was raw and rusty... Mac wasn't that great. I remember thinking he should have attacked Sherman more in that game.

Meanwhile Brady was going up against a defense whose head coach has known him for 20 years, and several players on the defense who have played with Brady for almost 10 years.

Mac was still alright in that game. I was more impressed with his composure than anything, and I wish Belichick let him have the ball in crunch time.

Only if you look at the stats

Given the fact that Tampa's secondary was depleted and were playing Richard Sherman was raw and rusty... Mac wasn't that great. I remember thinking he should have attacked Sherman more in that game.

Meanwhile Brady was going up against a defense whose head coach has known him for 20 years, and several players on the defense who have played with Brady for almost 10 years.

Mac was still alright in that game. I was more impressed with his composure than anything, and I wish Belichick let him have the ball in crunch time.

COnsidering we didn't have Trent Brown and Stevenson that game I think he did just fine...and Tampa's secondary got lit up all season, even with their "starters" in.

Odds also in favor of Mac making that 4th and 3 but Bill thought he had to be babied for some weird reason.
Yeah the time to go for it on 4th down is when you have 13 yards to go and its a 48-yard FG in a dome.

In a Super Bowl.

:confused: :crying::yuck:

Brutal ending to that game. Weather was poor. Didn't agree with the decision to kick the FG with Folks leg at the time. That being said Bucs should have had that game in hand before the 4th quarter.

I didn’t get this play call either before the half. Did Bill not really care about winning one over his former QB who just won a Super Bowl without him? Or he was that afraid Mac would lose his confidence if he didn’t make it so gotta keep those reins on tight? Gotta ask your rookie QB to make those spots sometime Coach.
View attachment 44157

TB scored a FG at the end of the half because of this move, and would've been forced to score a TD at the end of the game if they hadn't.

Personally, I think Bill underestimated how much Mac was ready to play in a huge game on SNF and kept the training wheels on...it was only his 4th career start. As I mentioned in another post, Lavonte David saved the Bucs with that swat down on 3rd and short.

The only thing I can think of that might explain those coaching moves is the Pats running game literally had nothing and they were going to come at Mac with the same pass rush that made Mahomes run for his life in the Super Bowl. The OL and pass blocking was a mess early last season and they were getting to Mac in this game. The Winfield INT happened when Mac got absolutely trucked by White and Barrett also rung his bell.

Still should have done it IMO. Give Mac a taste in a clutch moment when his OL isn't good. Every NFL QB is in that situation lots of times over their career.

Personally, I think Bill underestimated how much Mac was ready to play in a huge game on SNF and kept the training wheels on...it was only his 4th career start. As I mentioned in another post, Lavonte David saved the Bucs with that swat down on 3rd and short.
That was a great play. Meyers was open, 1st down.

That was a great play. Meyers was open, 1st down.

Yes, he was. As the game went on, Bill and Josh should have recognized that Mac was ready to play on the big stage and given him an opportunity to close the game out. The dude won a national championship with the whole nation watching, for Pete's sake...

WIth that win, Brady joined the exclusive club of QBs (Manning, Brees & Favre) that beat all 32 teams. Wilson is up next. Needs to beat SEA & LAC.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back